KiteLife Forum

Found a soccer field near my office :)

p23brian

I found a place near my office where I can duck out to for a little flying when conditions are good. This should come in handy. Today is sunny and relatively warm, wind SE 0-10 so I tried it out for about 45 min. Still working on the hovers and getting better at them. Much easier when the wind is consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 4

That's the field I lost. Please return it. Last time I checked it was right in my backyard, and then, POOF, it was gone.

Yeah, this crazy kite thing has you checking out real estate everywhere you go. It's worse than fishing and twice as addicting.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, makatakam said:

Yeah, this crazy kite thing has you checking out real estate everywhere you go. It's worse than fishing and twice as addicting.

And learning the locations of ALL the flags in your area, can't help but to notice which way they're pointing. HINT... if they're pointing UP, don't even think about getting the bag out...

• Like 3

On 1/10/2017 at 8:45 PM, RobB said:

And learning the locations of ALL the flags in your area, can't help but to notice which way they're pointing. HINT... if they're pointing UP, don't even think about getting the bag out...

The Weather Underground site is really good for getting current local weather conditions.  People who set up their own weather stations in their yards feed data to the site.  You can see the location of these stations on a map and click them to pull up the current condtions.  This is the wind data from one of the stations that's about .5 mile from the new soccer field I just found.

wind.JPG

Make sure your field is listed on KiteMap.org, if it's a good one.  

I've already added the park near home where I usually go to fly. I'll try the soccer field a few more times to make sure I don't get chased off or anything before I add that too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, p23brian said:

I've already added the park near home where I usually go to fly. I'll try the soccer field a few more times to make sure I don't get chased off or anything before I add that too.

Good idea to make sure you don't get chased off.  I flew at a location several times a year until the one day that a particular security officer decided I was a danger to others....  Well, it was a mall parking lot.    SHBKF

• Like 1

I flew for about an hour at the soccer field today. Wind was better than usual, steady 8-10 with gusts 15+. My hovers are getting better but still need some work. I had to move my top lines in to the 3rd knot on the leaders to keep the kite from pulling too hard in the gusts. It helped a lot. I met another guy there flying a Parafoil. He said he's there fairly regularly and hasn't been chased away, so it's probably safe to put this spot on the map. I wouldn't recommend planning a kite flying vacation here but if you find yourself in the neighborhood it'll definitely do in a pinch.

• Like 1