KiteLife Forum

Corolla Quad Clinic (Apr 8-9, 2017)

John Barresi

I'm really looking forward to this too.  Two more weeks!

This is my quad line collection, it's not very big.

Rev II - Well used and vintage 1990's

Rev 1.5 - Well used and bought when Revolution first came out with that model.

Rev 1.5 full vent -  Brand new and flown once.

Symphony -  Bought in the 1990's.   The maker was touring the east coast and winning competitions, both indoor and outdoor.   It'd be interesting to see John fly trying to fly this one, I still haven't figured it out.  Here's a website that shows the Symphony http://www.kitesonconsignment.com/kockitesalesquad.html

Minergy Deca Zero Wind - Fun little kite, but not easy to setup.

My line sets are as follows:

90# 17' - Tried indoor flying with this set.

90# 50'

90# 80'

150# 85'

Do I need to acquire a 100# 120' set for this clinic?

Excited about this event!

Eric

• Like 1

4 hours ago, esinger said:

Do I need to acquire a 100# 120' set for this clinic?

It's not required, but strongly suggested as you're likely to find team flying more appealing / accessible than you might imagine and 120' is the standard length for team. ;)

• Like 1

Thanks Lynn, I'm going to call the Flying Smiles Kites and see if they have a line set.   If I can't get my hands on a set, I'll definitely borrow a line from you.

Yes, the Symphony quad kite is definitely a different animal from other quads.   It loves to move sideways, but not so much up and down.   I believe the person that produced this kite lived in the Washington DC area and would show up to competitions around that area.   I can't remember the exact years, but definitely in the 1990's.   Around that time TC Powers was pushing his Ultra dual/quad line kite.   I was never really impressed with that kite or any delta that was flown as a quad

• Like 1

11 hours ago, esinger said:

Yes, the Symphony quad kite is definitely a different animal from other quads.   It loves to move sideways, but not so much up and down.

I have a very similar one that I made about six years ago. Mine also loves to move sideways, but not so much up and down. So I attached the top lines to the left side and called that the top. Flies fine in that orientation, but very fast -- needs constant attention so it won't crash. Very squirrely.

Lol, they even spoke about the TC Power Ultra. I now remember that he did patent the 2 to 4 line kite.

Believe it or not my first quad kite was a Rev Backtracker. It was the worst Rev probably ever made. I tell you, if you could fly a Backtracker, then any other Rev was a piece of cake.

Sent from my XT1575 using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Ha, My first quad was a Backtracker too.  Oh man how I struggled with that thing, two full years before I knew you could even ADJUST it!

I still fly mine occasionally, now I can do a bunch of tricks, including throw and catch on it

My final exam of Quads for a PhD was a 6-pck stack of baby revs, bumblebees on speed, 36 inch leading edge (built by Dugard).  Needs big wind (25 or 30mph to generate any flight) but are super fun when the coast guard won't go out of the harbor due to Hurricane forces.