KiteLife Forum

What are "sissy sticks"? Heard them referred to in a video..[emoji41]

Joe Eyman

In short, magic sticks (jokingly called by non-users as "sissy sticks") provide kick stands for when the kite is in a resting position on the ground, allows some roll up tricks, makes the two wings a little more interdependent and they also shift the center of gravity away from the pilot slightly (behind the kite a few inches instead of on the same plane) which changes all inertia based movement (axels, flic flacs, quick turns, glides, etc).

I not a fan myself, but they are a totally valid quad addon if they suit your style. ;)

• Like 4

Some people like them, some don't. I recommend you try them on another person's kite, if possible. Although they are not expensive, they are not the easiest thing to set up properly, so it helps if someone who uses them regularly can guide you through proper setup should you decide to get or make a set.

If you look through the "Adjustments and Modifications" section in the main forum topics, you should find quite a bit of discussion about them, and maybe even some diagrams.

• Like 1

Got 2 sets from the Shooks, come with easy instructions to install them. All the lines are color coded and instructions are straight forward.

Use them on my Zen and SUL to limit the flex in the LE. Plus they make it impossible to "bowtie" the kite, the line between sticks just won't allow it. Don't have them on any of my others, frame changes take care of my needs there. Both the 2 light weight kites have them for reasons - I don't change frames on either!

Nice thing is if you don't like them - also easy to remove!

• Like 1

Installing them is quite simple. Setting them up with the correct amount of tension is harder. Wrong amount of tension, and I guarantee you won't like them. That's why it's a good idea to have someone experienced give you a bit of advice.

• Like 1

Yes, the Shook's sell kits for them. Everything you need to install is included, even detailed plans on installing. It is pretty straight forward - introduce no bend to the existing kite frame. A bit harder to do when making your own from scratch, which many people chose. But the overall thought, is not to introduce any bending of the frame. The sticks should end up as a "neutral" add on.

They do seem to be an East Coast flavor. At WSIKF in August, when folks from all parts of the US and world, get together, you'll mostly find them on kites from back East. Just seems to have caught on there. Like I said, it's a different feel type thing. Some love them, some don't, your choice. I use a set on my Zen for specific reasons - to limit the flex in my LE. Same with my SUL. Some like the kick stand effect. Some like the balance change, adding them creates.

Several of the newer designs are using them built right in - Lam Hoac with his ABS and the 4WD from Europe, are several examples.

• Like 2

little tiny magic sticks create the same effect as the Reflex model offers, a shaped 3D sail.  You make 'em really tight too, so the frame is distorted (bowed down spars).  How much?  Depends on two factors "risk and reward"  Too much and the frame members may snap, too little and you don't get the effect you're seeking.

That's fun and maybe a great solution in some decent beach wind (as it bleeds off some pressure and offers a killer float with all 4 lines slack).  But a shaped sail also diminishes the lower end of the wind range dramatically.

You can eliminate the "connectivity" between the two wing halves if you create the 3 point Magic Stick affixing method instead of the usual layout.  Dave Ashworth uses this method and I have a couple of his indoor kites rigged this way (Orcon sails, 1/2 the weight of the indoor Rev, down spars are 1/8 pultruded tubes).  

The truss line doesn't go across the back of the sail connecting the two halves. There's a truss line from the center of the leading edge and another from the bottom wing tip and the last is an outside leading edge corner.  They all meet at a point 098 end cap (I know it a tight fit, force it on there!)  Ideally there will be no knots to snag on.

Double wrap the string around the endcap (after passing thru the hole) and affix it permanently (stationary with nail polish) effectively creates two of the 3 strings necessary for the independent solution.

Personally I prefer the connectivity of the stock sticks (Shook's Magic Sticks)

Placement?  The fitting on the down spar is correctly placed when you can release the tension on the strings (the kite is on the ground, leading edge upright), by suddenly throwing your arms forward or lunging at the kite.  It should fall backwards and roll over flat to the ground, wrapping the strings around the leading edge EFFORTLESSLY.  Some recommend a wrap in the strings first, to keep 'em centered.  Obviously the kite needs to be near dead center down wind (only if you want to unroll it successfully as the next step).  If the kite won't roll up almost all by itself then the sticks which make the magic are in the wrong location.

How long:  The length of the magic stick tube has a profound impact on flight dynamics.  Too long & you can't catch the kite, instead it horseshoe shaped flights around above you to to back down wind. Too short and it won't roll-up into the string (it's officially called a "Clam shell roll-up")

It's lots of fun to experiment around and doesn't cost a bundle or permanently impact the kite, in fact it easy to back to stock.  Get some friends together and see what happens with the variables.

• Like 4