KiteLife Forum

Good day flying today!

p23brian

I spent about an hour and a half at the local perk. Wind was W 15 -20. The gusts were probably above the optimum range for my standard full sail kite, but other than a lot of pull I was able to control the kite pretty well. I moved my upper lines in a couple of knots on the leaders and the handles felt more balanced. I find that with the top lines too far extended it's more difficult to apply brake when the wind picks up. Having STEADY wind the whole time was really nice. I continued just working on hovers and increased precision, especially quick 90 degree turns. Too bad we don't get more days with wind like this. I can appreciate that a vented kite would be nice to have when the wind gets up around 15 steady.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

While the kite can fly in those winds - there are a few drawbacks to doing so. 

1 - The sail stretches. In higher winds you'll usually use a stiffer frame that flexes less. Where do all the stresses go? You got it - right in the sail/ Fly in big winds and you will get it out of shape and guess what - there is no going back!

2 - Loss of control. You will find as you get a vented, that the vents will smooth things out. The gusts or high winds don't make the kite "jumpy". Much easier to maintain control. That is why all the types within a model, as a team flier we strive to get equal response to everyone's kite. Having the different sails allows us to match our equipment to the day's conditions better and make our flying experience better, not just hanging on! 

3 -  Once you experience a vented kite, you'll probably look forward to windier days. Venteds are so much fun to fly!

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:52 AM, p23brian said:

Probably worth mentioning here that the increase in air pressure on a kite increases exponentially as wind speed increases. Assuming that the density of air stays constant the air pressure is roughly equal to wind speed squared.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

I totally agree.

I was taught when learning to fly an aircraft, an easy way to understand the power of the wind in laymen's terms, is to just multiply the wind speed.

If the wind is 6 knots...... 6 x 6 =36, then if its rising to 8 knots x 8 = 64, which is "almost" double the strength.  

• Like 4