KiteLife Forum

Source for small diameter shock cord?

p23brian

Anyone know where to buy a length of the small, maybe 1/8" diameter shock cord that holds the frame in place on a quad? I'd like to keep some extra on hand. My kite came with a couple of extra pre cut pieces, but I'm down to the last of them.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Most kite shops have the right stuff. Don't buy just anything you find. Make a detailed comparison and make sure it is as close to identical as possible. Most of what you will find at fabric and hardware stores will just not work well, and will just not work well, and will just not . . . . . . . . 

• Like 1

REI carries a quality 1/8 shock cord. I picked up several feet of it really cheap. Seems to be the same as what came on my Rev kites and is working well.

I can try REI. They have a store a mile from my office. Thanks!

Lots of bunji is too stretchy, it should have a good memory. REI should have various levels, otherwise try one of those fabric companies that provide supplies for making bags, jackets, etc, ripstop, cordura, buckles, toggles, zippers and the like.

My own local is Rose City Textiles.

I just picked up 6' of 1/8" shock cord at REI.  It seems to be good quality stuff similar to what my kite came with.  $0.38 per foot.  I'll probably cut some pieces to length with a chisel tip on a soldering iron to keep the ends from fraying.

• Like 1