jasonmcmahon76

Advice for a beginner to kiting and 2-line kites

Too much kite in not enough wind seems to be the only problem you are having. Get a UL kite or be more selective of the wind you fly in. Otherwise, you're coming along just fine.:D

• Like 1

I'm seeing vast improvements from your earlier videos, you ARE coming along just fine. It seems a bit aggressive on launching, but maybe it's just me. Really, you're doing great for the short time you've been flying.

I'd suggest a couple of things based on your flying and from my perspective. Your crashes are fewer and farther between, I'd start flying with a bit more of a focus. Right now you seem to still be flying randomly, getting to know and become more comfortable with your kite, sometimes you fly the kite but mostly it flies you. Start taking command. Start with some simple geometric figures, big squares, diamonds, triangles, hexagons, octagons and PERFECT big circles. Work the corners to try to be sharp and precise, using pull turns, push turns and combination turns. Go clockwise and counter-clockwise. As your precision increases, work on your speed control, to keep the speeds consistent in various areas of the wind window traveling in various directions. Under control, increase and decrease your speeds. Practicing precision and speed control pays huge dividends regardless of what type of flying you're looking to do.

Focusing and actual focused practicing can be tiring. When you first start a flying session, fly around for a few minutes to get accustomed to the kite again and the current conditions. After you feel comfortable, start a FOCUSED practice, such as working on making a sharp right angle turn. Stay focused and diligent on working on whichever particular aspect you are working on at the moment. Once you feel your focus start to drift or you start to get tired or frustrated, quit practicing and just fly for the fun of it. Find your happy place. Relax. As your skills increase you'll be able to stay in a focused practice for longer and longer periods. Sometimes my practice may be only 10 or 15 minutes long, but I might fly for hours.  Never forget, you're having FUN!

You're doing great!

• Like 3

I'm seeing vast improvements from your earlier videos, you ARE coming along just fine. It seems a bit aggressive on launching, but maybe it's just me. Really, you're doing great for the short time you've been flying.
I'd suggest a couple of things based on your flying and from my perspective. Your crashes are fewer and farther between, I'd start flying with a bit more of a focus. Right now you seem to still be flying randomly, getting to know and become more comfortable with your kite, sometimes you fly the kite but mostly it flies you. Start taking command. Start with some simple geometric figures, big squares, diamonds, triangles, hexagons, octagons and PERFECT big circles. Work the corners to try to be sharp and precise, using pull turns, push turns and combination turns. Go clockwise and counter-clockwise. As your precision increases, work on your speed control, to keep the speeds consistent in various areas of the wind window traveling in various directions. Under control, increase and decrease your speeds. Practicing precision and speed control pays huge dividends regardless of what type of flying you're looking to do.
Focusing and actual focused practicing can be tiring. When you first start a flying session, fly around for a few minutes to get accustomed to the kite again and the current conditions. After you feel comfortable, start a FOCUSED practice, such as working on making a sharp right angle turn. Stay focused and diligent on working on whichever particular aspect you are working on at the moment. Once you feel your focus start to drift or you start to get tired or frustrated, quit practicing and just fly for the fun of it. Find your happy place. Relax. As your skills increase you'll be able to stay in a focused practice for longer and longer periods. Sometimes my practice may be only 10 or 15 minutes long, but I might fly for hours.  Never forget, you're having FUN!
You're doing great!

Thank you!
I will investigate how much force is required for launching next time I fly. Someone else said I had lead hands, so I'm clearly just overdoing my inputs. Hopefully I'll get some kite time later today.

You're right: I feel like I'm starting to get the hang of a few things, but I'm still way behind the kite. I am still working on the push/pull/combo turns but I have yet to work out those crisp 90 turns!

Any slack line tricks are just luck at this point! I don't feel like I have enough finesse on the controls to actually attempt them at the moment.

P.s. Don't worry, I am having fun!

Try giving to the kite a bit by moving towards it for a brief moment as you make a punch turn. It stalls the kite slightly and squares up the turn for you.

Was practicing some stuff yesterday and thought of another thing.

Give the "trick" time to happen. Don't rush it. Let the rotations/roll ups happen.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Hi

Your last video looks like the wind speed is slightly slow for the kite that you are trying to fly.

My advice to you:

Read and follow the kite specs (wind speed range).

Read on-line about the wind window.

Start practicing Dodd Gross's 6 step video (youtube). Its not about slack line tricks, its about gaining control over the kite and strating to work on the much needed "muscle memory".

Its all about 3 basics - practice, practice and more practice

Sent from my SM-G935F using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

So it wasn't just me... Ok it was mostly me! But it's nice to see that Prism has announced a redesigned centre T for the Quantum!

• Like 1