KiteLife Forum

Finally, some kite time

riffclown

Finally some kite time.. With forecasts in the mid-upper sixties and winds forecast on +10mph I had to get some kite time today. Fortunately, Khal was available and we went to one of his kite spots.. The winds were quite variable and we collectively flew everything from the Ghost SUL to the 40% Shook. It was amazing how we finally set up a SUL, a B-series full sail and the Shook.. We flew each when the conditions were right and moved to the more appropriate kite when conditions changed. it was one of those days when a 40% Mesh with 2 warp and 50# lines was a good fit a significant amount of the time. All in all it was refreshing to finally get some air time.

During one period of very light winds, I decided to stake out the first 1000' spool of Skybond. Per a previous agreement, we split it in half with him getting 500' and I cut my half into two 250' segments. I found the midpoint and wrapped them from there leaving the 4 bare ends available for me to sleeve this evening..Tomorrow, I'll run the lines out again,  measure, cut, sleeve, and equalize and I'll have my 120', set. It's forecast to be another decent day and even short sleeve weather again so......

Hopefully I get time to split the other spool up in time for the clinic. Planning to make a another (2) 120' sets. I'm very tempted to make the 240'-ish set and cut it later. I really want to try very long lines once or twice.

Sunday.JPG

• Like 3

i have made a set of 50# - 175'  for a Zen and fly even a Rev 1 with. the fly is great and is amazing to see the kite go so much up in the sky but speaking about reaction time and precision is half from a regular 120' lines so i decided this spring when weather permitted to short them at 130' max an have another set at 40'. mi opinion is if you want to try long lines to combine to sets before to specially made one

• Like 1

Since I buy bulk line and make my own linesets, it's easier to make the long set first and then cut later when I'm through playing with them. I don't like flying with connections in the middle of the lines.. It increases drag horribly and too many things can go wrong, especially if the joint is where the lines will cross when twisted...

(1) 120' x 100# Skybond ready for April..

I've decided I will make a 240-ish foot set with the other spool. If I need to chop them down for the clinic we can always have a quick tutorial (before or after) when we aren't flying, on "making and sleeving lines." :D

Everything is an opportunity. Once you start making your own custom lines, you'll rarely buy precut again unless you are in a big hurry or need to equip a large team..

• Like 1

Finally, some kite time..    Had to run to town today to check on some plumbing at an apartment.  A very warm Spring like day with gusty wind had me thinking I better grab a kite to take along "just in case".  Down in the Kite Dungeon the Nirvana standard had just been through a little tender loving tune-up.  Slid it into it's sleeve then found the dualie line set fanny pack.  Things went well & on the return trip I stopped at an abandoned ball field.  Not an ideal place to fly due to the surrounding uneven terrain, trees & small buildings.  But it is still mowed & has a usable window if the wind is from the south-west, it was.  The site was not ideal, the wind was gusty & I could only use 65' lines if I wanted to move around much.  I did not care as I was actually going to get to fly.  It is more challenging to fly in poor conditions but it is what I am used to doing round these parts.  The Nirvana has a weight of 19 grams on the tail of the spine.  It is a brass round head screw with two brass hex nuts tucked into the spine pocket & taped with a bit of white duct tape.  This kite flips over far more easily than my others & is taking some getting adjusted to it's willingness.  Rolled it up intentionally & accidentally both.  The gusts added their own inputs at times.  But also did maybe my best ever half axels.  Also did some kind of weird tip wrap roll up sideways flying with a panic pop to unroll a couple times.  Not too likely I will ever repeat that one.  This kite also seems to excel in ground recovery maneuvers.  Flew for only a half hour but made memories that will last much longer.

Just out here flyin', SHBKF

• Like 3