KiteLife Forum

just meshing around

riffclown

So started laying out a new mesh pattern today.. Not exactly sure how I'm going to use it. Will definitely be another quad but haven't decided on the sail or hole sizing yet. The panel should be big enough to make just about any "standard" size.. Will post more once I decide how I'm using it..

meshconcept.jpg

• Like 7

Flatwork is done. I just need to pull some loose threads and clean up and finish.reinforce the edging... Flatwork took about 4 hours of sewing.. dimensions of the sail tells me this venture is going to be a 1.5 size. I already have the extra framing to make this easier..

Next is a LE (thinking blue or green) with Mesh and reinforcements for the corners..I don't have screen handy so won't finish this today even though that was my original thought..

This pic shows one side. An exact mirror is on the other side of the back.. Sail will be symmetrical :) I changed the strip layout slightly so one diagonal-(ish) cut will give me the finished front out of both halves....

Half.jpg

• Like 5

I just play with what looks good to my eye without worrying about anything except for symmetry. I'd agree with 20%-25%.  Yes this sail will probably be a touch on the heavy side but for less than $40, I won't complain. Both previous builds used screen from a screen door repair ans the screening so I also like to use whatever I have laying around to get the job done. I also get so say inspired by and not copied from. I refuse to measure anything  except the LE width and spar height so I can interchange frames. Eliot checked out my first mesh and gave me a few pointers, This sail will incorporate some of those pointers if possible..

My first sail below even used duct tape as a construction material. Wasn't pretty but is functional and is rock stable in winds that scare everyone else off the dune.

large.Mesh1.jpg.e80703c30f28dd8035db8d24

My second one which had no spacing was also a touch heavy but still a lot of fun. It's also a bit bigger than a standard 1.5.. I didn't want to cut the spars and had a bunch of the P400 Skyshark spars from a blowout sale.. Easy decision there.

large.Tails-Trilo.JPG.ae7233b1612beaba60

FWIW, I'll fly this sail in winds and weather I'd never fly my Shooks in. 

• Like 3

Elliot donated one of his earliest (#6 in the album) 100% sails to me. Compared it to Paul Dugard's new model - major improvements - wear strips, more curve to the LE, might even have fold strips, not sure. Mine has a dead straight LE, but I made it work a little better by using a race frame in it.

4 hours ago, riffclown said:

Next is a LE (thinking blue or green) with Mesh and reinforcements for the corners..I don't have screen handy so won't finish this today even though that was my original thought..

With mesh having 2 meanings - the weave part and the screen part - I initially misunderstood the first sentence.  But that got me thinking...with a mesh weave kite that already has holes, is the LE screen really necessary?

• Like 1

I'll know soon enough.. I have the stack of the old 2016  version. I also have another old version and a new one with the holes on the way. Throw launching a stack isn't easy on the kites by any stretch of the imagination. Will soon try throwing a 6 stack just to do it..

@Paul LaMasters could probably provide some insight. He's flown one quite a bit and he is not easy on kites. He could fly the color off a printed sail..

• Like 1

The leading edge mesh is not necessary if the leading edge frame pocket is not very tall, since the openings in the weave that are closest to the pocket will take over the function of not letting air dam up against the leading edge in reverse flight. The other option is to make a belt-loop style leading edge, either   l_l_l_l_l_l   as the drawing below or inverted.

H2 Extreme v6.png

• Like 2

So the Mockup is done..LE is done.. I need to attach the sail halves together and attach to the LE (used masking tape for the pic..)..Once that's done some bridling and a bit of reinforcement and it should be ready to fly.. Hoping for the end of the month.

20170220_153211.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, riffclown said:

So the Mockup is done..LE is done.. I need to attach the sail halves together and attach to the LE (used masking tape for the pic..)..Once that's done some bridling and a bit of reinforcement and it should be ready to fly.. Hoping for the end of the month.

20170220_153211.jpg

next time, edge bind the parameter of the sail first and then buy a "pre-made" leading edge sleeve from Eliot (YES they are available and worth every penny, Paul dugard has made a couple of his Vickis with 'em.

A laser straight leading edge can be thrown very easily and tracks like the kite rides on railroad tracks, a pronounced curve (2-1/2 to 4 inches) built it will cup and fill the sail with power and make an easy to fly ultra light.  These two objective are opposites, a compromise does both pretty decently, experimenting is almost as much fun as having it all dialed it y=to your personal preference.

14 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

next time, edge bind the parameter of the sail first and then buy a "pre-made" leading edge sleeve from Eliot (YES they are available and worth every penny, Paul dugard has made a couple of his Vickis with 'em.

A laser straight leading edge can be thrown very easily and tracks like the kite rides on railroad tracks, a pronounced curve (2-1/2 to 4 inches) built it will cup and fill the sail with power and make an easy to fly ultra light.  These two objective are opposites, a compromise does both pretty decently, experimenting is almost as much fun as having it all dialed it y=to your personal preference.

I appreciate the suggestion and I agree Eliot does top notch work..

For this build though, I prefer to fabricate it myself as much as possible..

• Like 1

I redid my LE because my construction was so heavy. I tried putting the Tabs a support on the inside of the sleeve but had to extend the screen all the way around to keep it from binding or consider adding a second layer inside..

I've got it all done now except the spar caps / bungies & bridles. Will redo the reinforcement tabs externally once I measure everything out once more..