KiteLife Forum

just meshing around

riffclown

16 hours ago, riffclown said:

Hopefully this weekend, wind cooperating. this kite wiil require 10+ MPH winds I think.  There will definitely be video involved.  While it is a comparitively heavy kite, it is slightly higher aspect ratio than the standard 1.5 sail.

I normally run into that with my home-mades. The aspect ratio is always different, most probably because I don't use templates to recreate existing patterns, neither mine nor others'. A higher aspect ratio makes it a bit faster and more squirrely, but that's half the fun. Yeehaw!

Finished the bridling and bungie work last night. Long day at work today so no pics yet. Hopefully I'll get some snaps tomorrrow ofr even video possible on Saturday.  I ended up framing it a bit differently because I didn't want to cut any of my premium spars. LE  is a Mix of P400 and Green Race.It's a few inches longer then the standard fare. Vertical Spars are CF Arrow Shafts they are a few inches shorter than what would be considered the normal size..

• Like 2

4 hours ago, riffclown said:

Finished the bridling and bungie work last night. Long day at work today so no pics yet. Hopefully I'll get some snaps tomorrrow ofr even video possible on Saturday.  I ended up framing it a bit differently because I didn't want to cut any of my premium spars. LE  is a Mix of P400 and Green Race.It's a few inches longer then the standard fare. Vertical Spars are CF Arrow Shafts they are a few inches shorter than what would be considered the normal size..

I suspect that it will be faster because of the higher aspect ratio.

Exactly the same scenario as this build:

NEW 013.jpg

Six inches wider, three inches less height.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, makatakam said:

Very nice. Looks even better in sunlight. I'm lovin' it. 

Full vent wind may be a bit too much for it -- count the holes and do the math -- it looks like mid vent territory is where it will me most comfortable.

I'm thinking in between. this is a heavier kite than it looks so might need an extra MPH or two..

I'm thinking more of the pull it would generate and fighting the wind for control. The "venting" actually creates more lift somehow. I have been amazed by how low a wind speed a vented kite will fly in compared to a standard sail. I think, by what I saw in the video, that it is already creating enough extra lift to compensate for the additional weight.

But, we shall see, right?