jmaldo100

My Revi!

23 posts in this topic

Cool -- I think I'll get an old beater this year and do that.

Or maybe . . . . . no, I think I'll leave my other Spiro the way it is. Definitely get a beater.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How many mph of wind does to take to get something with that little sail surface to fly? Or does it weigh so little that it needs less wind?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using KiteLife mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a little of both. In your full vent, the mesh adds quite a bit of weight while effectively reducing the sail area. For the purposes of this conversion, removing sail decreases wing area but also reduce weight.  Stripping a sail down this much does raise the minimum wind speed needed to fly well but not as much as it would seem.

I'd "guess" this mod would fly in 10 to 15mph and up as long as the fabric is nice and stiff  AND it doesn't start to flutter too badly. On the bottom end it could probably fly in 5-10mph if fitted with a P90 frame or similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Rev "Bikini" I would call it cut back like that!:o

33FC0F6B00000578-3581248-Check_me_out_The_22_year_old_blonde_wore_a_gingham_bikini-a-25_1462809597528.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
A Rev "Bikini" I would call it cut back like that!
33FC0F6B00000578-3581248-Check_me_out_The_22_year_old_blonde_wore_a_gingham_bikini-a-25_1462809597528.thumb.jpg.8dc6e44c38a02550fe82b7378ae9e3d8.jpg


Not cool at all man..

No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎3‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 1:52 PM, cerfvoliste said:

Not cool at all man..

No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

 

 

 

Am I missing something here. Dunno what you mean??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/7/2017 at 6:52 AM, cerfvoliste said:

Not cool at all man..

I'm afraid that I must agree. The main risk if these sort of images got very common I see, is that female kiters might be deterred and consider that KL is not a place for them (and they tend not to be abundant as it is already). If I could choose between a KL free from non kiting "babe" (just for the sake of it) images and a KL full of it, the decision would be simple. Let's go on with kiting and kiting related posts instead. Sorry if anyone gets offended.

/Happy kiting and posting,
Exult

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ahh OK. Sorry bout that. Now I see the reason and it now makes sense. Thanks for that.

I live by the beach and this is pretty standard dress even in our shopping areas here. I queued behind a young lady dressed in only a bikini in the bank last Monday.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'm afraid that I must agree. The main risk if these sort of images got very common I see, is that female kiters might be deterred and consider that KL is not a place for them (and they tend not to be abundant as it is already). If I could choose between a KL free from non kiting "babe" (just for the sake of it) images and a KL full of it, the decision would be simple. Let's go on with kiting and kiting related posts instead. Sorry if anyone gets offended.
/Happy kiting and posting,
Exult

I have been quite impressed in the KL focus on being a place of respect and friendship through discussion. Your response reinforces this once again. Thanks from a female kiter.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using KiteLife mobile app

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2017 at 11:02 AM, riffclown said:

It's a little of both. In your full vent, the mesh adds quite a bit of weight while effectively reducing the sail area. For the purposes of this conversion, removing sail decreases wing area but also reduce weight.  Stripping a sail down this much does raise the minimum wind speed needed to fly well but not as much as it would seem.

I'd "guess" this mod would fly in 10 to 15mph and up as long as the fabric is nice and stiff  AND it doesn't start to flutter too badly. On the bottom end it could probably fly in 5-10mph if fitted with a P90 frame or similar.

I thought for sure you'd say at least a category 2. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ACrop said:


I have been quite impressed in the KL focus on being a place of respect and friendship through discussion. Your response reinforces this once again. Thanks from a female kiter.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using KiteLife mobile app
 

Ever since I got into kiting, the kiting community has always been friendship AND respect.

I've made friends from all over the world. Sold my first Revolution kite to a gentleman in Turkey and the 3 week waiting window for him to get it was well worth the wait judging from the picture of him with a permanent grin on his face flying the kite.

I've also met some great women and fellow flyers whom I've also become friends with through the years. 

Guess what I'm trying to say is, we're all a bunch of little rascals with the same passion and sometimes our inner (Darla and Alfalfa) comes out.

Doubtful he meant any harm considering his response back. 

You ever want tips or fly together, don't hesitate to ask.

I think Toretto said it best "it's all about family".

I'd like to think we're a worldwide one!

Peace!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, windwarrior said:

I thought for sure you'd say at least a category 2. :lol:

I do have kites I'd be willing to fly in conditions I wouldn't otherwise go out in.. But then I'm more worried about me than the kites..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, riffclown said:

I do have kites I'd be willing to fly in conditions I wouldn't otherwise go out in.. But then I'm more worried about me than the kites..

I was just referring to the all mesh version and how high of a wind window I assumed it was for. Made for a fantastic visual. :lol:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, windwarrior said:

I was just referring to the all mesh version and how high of a wind window I assumed it was for. Made for a fantastic visual. :lol:

You said "wind window", but I'm guessing you meant wind range.

The all-mesh version actually has more sail area than a "Vicki", but the all-mesh weighs more than an empty space (obviously), so they end up with close to the same lower range, but you will notice that the all-mesh pulls much more than the Vicki in wind above 25-mph, giving the Vicki a much, much higher upper wind range.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The joke was clearly missed.

Disregard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Vicky at low altitude looses lift if the winds are not strong enough. I added a strip on the down tube but the material was folding over so I added the mesh to maintain its shape and create some lift. It did stop the fluttering and it still has more than a full vented kite. type


Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, jeez. Revi, Vicki. I just got it. Doh! :doh:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, makatakam said:

Oh, jeez. Revi, Vicki. I just got it. Doh! :doh:

Noooo......

Considering mid vents and vents are all made for a higher wind range, after taking a first look at the kite that was pretty much ALL vent, I made my category 2 comment. As in a tornado style wind. Hence "category 2". 

I know, I scare myself daily with humor. Specially first thing in the morning in the mirror.:blink::lol:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, windwarrior said:

Noooo......

Considering mid vents and vents are all made for a higher wind range, after taking a first look at the kite that was pretty much ALL vent, I made my category 2 comment. As in a tornado style wind. Hence "category 2". 

I know, I scare myself daily with humor. Specially first thing in the morning in the mirror.:blink::lol:

Oh, I got the category 2 joke, but I can't believe Revi didn't click.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now