Edmond Dragut

first quad build

14 posts in this topic

Supersonic template 3 inch bigger at the V cut. i used the original frame and spars. is flying good but i need to do some adjustments at the bridle to make him to respond better at hovering and slow fly

IMG_1013A.jpg

IMG_1012A.jpg

Nice work.. i like the color scheme..

1 person likes this

thank you,i try to keep a simply design to avoid mistakes on stitching,i find out to work better with 2 rows of stitches on to an 1935 Singer then a zig-zag from a modern one

6 minutes ago, Edmond Dragut said:

thank you,i try to keep a simply design to avoid mistakes on stitching,i find out to work better with 2 rows of stitches on to an 1935 Singer then a zig-zag from a modern one

I've heard more than once the older machines can lay a better stitch than newer ones.  I think either stitch approach should be fine. I used a little of both on my recent build too..

1 person likes this

Here, here, for the old machines......sews a mean stitch ;)

1 person likes this

I like it. Will have to try it next time I see you. I can help with the bridle because I have made many from scratch. If the line attachment points on the bridle are too close to the sail it will make it very twitchy in flight.

1 person likes this

one person's twitchy is another's responsive.

A flexible frame requires a longish bridle so pilot commands don't distort the frame,... for example I fly in indoor kite about 3 x 9 feet, the frame is mostly point 125 carbon tubes.  They bend just from gravity, imagine a hard command, you could probably break a stick if there's no bridle at all!

I stiffened hard frame could be flown without a bridle at all.  Jeffery Burka flies a rev2 like this & UPWIND too.

if you want some smoothness built-into the bridle, examine how the bridle on a 1.5 can be wiggled at the center attachment point and also how the hinges connect on the separate pieces.  All those wiggle points are why folks do the Whump,.. they are pre-loading the bridle for more instant response on command.  You can put the smoothness in or you can take it out thru bridle fabrication and experiments.  

These tests are a lot easier with a partner helping out.  Someone to stand directly underneath the kite and see how the bridle legs are tightened or loosened by flight.  What happens if you move the positioning or change the overall length of the bridle legs slightly?

Test one variable at a time, so you can control an expected outcome, take copious notes and work on the "feel" of your endeavors

-plm

1 person likes this

i have a spool of 150# so will not be a problem to make some bridle and test them, i have full thrust on your skills and judgement Mark so i am on.

Till then i will also try JB method for indoor ,no bridle at all. i will keep tided just the spars points and see what is happening

Be careful using no bridle, like the indoor, on outdoor kites! The bridle is there to equalize the stresses on the frame. Attaching at only the top and bottom of the vertical, ends up putting all your stress on them and focuses more at the intersection of the vert and LE. Reason for no bridle on the indoor is you never have the same amounts of overall stress, as you do outdoors. I use an Indoor outside some, but can really feel a difference between it and my usual outdoor stuff. 

1 person likes this

I thought at the stress on spars and you are right Wayne. now seeing black on white seams to be a bad idea especially do the big surface of the kite.

2 people like this

And I think you might need some stronger verts in that design. Funny - but the verts have the most stress put on them! A lot of times I put 3 or 4 wrap verts in, while using a race LE! Nothing says I can't mix them!! As it is, my Zen has 3 different types in it!! But looking at how big the sail area, and shallow the "V" area, I would suspect more stress at the verts. IMHO

8 minutes ago, Edmond Dragut said:

the frame is a SLE 4 wraps LE and 4 wraps spars. 

That's good. I'll talk to you about using "stays" to keep the belly from rolling under when I see you.

micro-carbon "fingers" like a bat's wing,

you could try a "leach line" in the trailing edge to force an alteration into the airstream, it won't flatten out fully no matter what you do!

even vents with velcro covers over them too, so you could open or close off more air passage thru the sail

you might run the leach line thru or next to the leading edge tube, so you can pre-stress or pre-curve it somewhat.  That cups air pressure but diminishes tracking (life is full of choices)

no way you'll break that frame w/o impacts involved

enjoy the experience of testing and tuning

1 person likes this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Who's Chatting

There are no users currently in the chat room

• Video Tutorials

• Site Sponsors

• Similar Content

• By John Barresi
      May 3rd at 5pm-6pm PST (8pm-9pm EST)
      Please consider yourself cordially invited to a group chat with all four members of Team KiteLife:
      John Barresi ( @John Barresi ) Scott Benz ( @mystainedskin ) Eli Russell ( @windpoacher ) Brett Marchel ( @Flight Risk ) Team members will be on hand to answer ANY and all questions you might have about dual, quad or performance flying, including the many odd topics enjoyed by them like dogstake, indoor, team flying, etc... We're an open book, pick our brains, we're happy to help!
      Stay tuned for a link to the chat itself!
    • By John Barresi
      Join us for two full days of hard core TEAM QUAD instruction on May 13-14, 2017 with three members of Team KiteLife including @John Barresi and Scott Benz (@mystainedskin) on both days with Brett Marchel (@Flight Risk) joining us on Sunday at the Munson Soccer Fields near Detroit MI.
      Location - https://goo.gl/maps/iszmxLfeQzT2
      NOTE: This event has been reformatted - it is open to intermediate fliers or better only, focus will be on team flying and certain skills are required including basic hovers, figure 8 flight and fundamental speed control.
      Please also note, there are only 8 spots available!
      Saturday morning we'll have a rountable about team philosophy and dynamics, this covers a metric ton of stuff that even the "pros" think they know, but don't... Then we'll break up into two teams, rotating students between the two groups to work on team maneuvers and basic skill improvements, then we'll do a mega fly to close out the day, wind allowing.
      I'd also like to identify who, if anyone is interested in learning how to call a team on their own... This is a great chance for warm hearted coaching and friendly cohorts, really as painless and fun as it gets.
      Sunday will be more of the same, turned up few notches.
      Ideal choice of equipment for this class is any model of "1.5" style kites (includes EXP, SLE, B-Series, printed specials, Phoenix, Shook, Swiss Made, Freilein, etc) - we'll go through painless equipment set up, good tuning and all aspects of flight - the goal here is to demystify quad flying and set you up to win... Again, ANY type of basic "1.5 platform" quad line kite is acceptable for participation.
      Students will use their own kites, 120' length is REQUIRED for all team exercises.
      Must be Skybond or spectra lines for team flying.
      Testimonials - http://tinyurl.com/jb-testimonials
      Registration is $175 per person and includes full access to the clinic on both days (10a-4p), a discounted rate of $150 is available to KiteLife subscribers.
      KiteLife subscription info - http://join.kitelife.com
      Clinic sign up link:
      http://kitelife.com/forum/store/product/54-motor-city-squad-clinic-may-13-14-2017/
      RSVP'd so far:
      @ru4camping @Jason R Hope to see you there!
    • By LS Kite Stakes
      The original Ninja Eyes set by Bazzer. This is the very first set made, and are the only one of two sets made in the Rev1 sail size. Sails were sewn by Bazzer, but they were finished by Revolution. They are the only kites finished by Revolution that does not have the revolution logo imprinted on them, that I know of. The other kite set is owned by Ben Dantonio, retired general manager of revolution(the last I heard). AS far as I know, these are the kites that started the series of special kites made by master kite makers for Revolution.
      This set is one vented and one full sail kite, with stacking lines, 120ft laser pro line set, 15 inch snagless handles. The kites are in very good shape, I never flew them in high winds and always took good care of them. No rips, tears, or stains, mesh is in excellent shape. The buyer will be tasked with keeping a bit of Revolution history, they are listed in John Mitchell's list of notable kites in Revolution's past.
      $2000, including Priority shipping in the US.
      I will consider offers. I do dicker.

• By John Barresi
      A particularly light-hearted and casual routine, Lam uses a lot of dance in this performance, interacting with his SUL Rev 1.5 kite, great motion and energy.
    • By drdemonx
      I have both a shockwave and a supersonic the winner will get a choice of one kite (no lines or handles), both are in good shape, drawing will be held on November 16th.
      Just reply with "I'm in" to enter, as usual.
      Sorry for the delay in my posting the karma. 

Entered:
      @zachprism01 @elmo264 @Materdaddy @makatakam @Daougie @Hasek @Mike Klaiber @Deke Haid @bbailey49 @mywindstuff @TnA @nmicheli @etully @UnveiledFox @3wrapframe  
      Standard Karma Note from the Moderators
      This is a Karma Drawing. The winner of the drawing is expected to pay it forward by offering their own prize for the next drawing. Please do not enter unless you are willing to offer your own prize, preferably not the prize you just won. Drawings should be open for entry approximately 2 weeks, and the next drawing should be posted as soon as possible to keep the Karma rolling.
      These drawings are run by and for KiteLife forum members and DO NOT require a paid subscription to enter. The moderating team only ensures that your drawing post contains all of the pertinent information (drawing date/time, adequate prize description, drawing rules) before approval.
      If you are a KiteLife forum member from the US or Canada, you are eligible to enter. You do not have to be a paid subscriber. Members from Canada, Alaska, and Hawaii are welcome to enter the Karma drawings provided they are willing to pay half of the Karma prize shipping cost.
      The method and timing of the payment will be agreed upon between the two parties after the drawing for a particular prize.
      Here is the link to the original Rules and Guidelines thread: http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/5426-rules-and-guidelines-please-read/
      The mechanism for the drawing itself is entirely at the discretion of the person offering the prize. In the past, entry number has been determined either by order of entry or by the post number in which the member declares entry into the drawing. The drawings have been performed using the RNG method (http://www.random.org/sequences/) or by choosing the numbers out of a hat (I believe an adorable daughter did the picking in that scenario). The only requirement is that the method of selection is clearly spelled out in the drawing post.
      Entry into the drawings is done by STARTING a post in the drawing thread with the entry phrase chosen by the drawing host (Traditionally "I'm in", but "I LIKE" has been used as well). In order to remove any confusion or misinterpretation, only entries with posts that START with the phrase will be considered. As with all other KiteLife drawings, bantering is encouraged. This is for fun after all.
  • Upcoming Events