KiteLife Forum

Vivitar Lifecam

riffclown

Anyone have experience with the Vivitar LifeCam device?.. It's smaller than the GoPro and seems to have some good options. I was looking at a local store and ran across the Vivitar LifeCam.. It records at 1920x1080 and comes with a head strap, magnetic mount,1/4' tripod mount suction cup mount etc.. It was originally marked at $127 to be competitive with the GoPros I guess. This was marked down to 25% off so I thought maybe.. So found an interesting offer after researching the same cam online and found Amazon had 2 mis-marked all the way down to less than $13.  Needless to say, I got two cameras this week.. built in Wireless and can stream to a tablet or phone (advertised)..

As you can see by the size comparison, it is much smaller than the GoPro and smaller than 2 GoPro batteries side by side..I think it's light enough to clamp onto a kite and get some aerial footage.. Will know soon.. Without supporting any company, I found the same Camera still available at a few major retailers for as low as $25..

20170225_150220.jpg

i found this if is helping

Ref: Vivitar "906" "wearable" camera 906 Item has ZERO IMAGE STABILIZATION. Slightest movement blurs video. Overall video quality is horrendous. Didn't bother testing photo capability, because bad video makes this camera an immediate return item, and that has been accomplished. There is a similiar Vivitar "936" with WIFI which has been discontinued.

I found a similar review. I did a lot of research after running across the product.. I have 2 of the 936..

So far the only shortcoming I see is it doesn't record MP4.. Once I put it on a kite I'll know how susceptible it is to vibration..

Has anyone owned or have first hand experience with this camera?

• 3 weeks later...

So far I've been impressed with this little camera.. Decent quality video (used it for the Emergency Sleeving Kit video)  Granted the camera wasn't in motion but I was pleased with the overall result.

The only drawback I've noticed so far is, it only records AVI and MOV.. Had to use movie maker to edit the first video since Premier Pro did like the flavor of AVI the camera uses..

I probably need to download a codec or something. I'll do a liitle research and will figure it out.. I can always use GoPro studio to convert vids if I need to.

• 1 month later...