KiteLife Forum

Meshing with a Bright Transition

riffclown

#4 to the pattern stage.. Wanted to do a subliminal but something made me change my mind.

In seriousness, I think this will be my last work with the transition tails. They aren't straight enough to do this well. The single color tails are far more consistent  in width, grain and straightness.

MeshingUpTheTransition.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks, the initial mock up is encouraging. I planned ahead and made it large enough to get a 1.5 sail this time. Notice the little points on the left side where I flipped the fabric to put the finished side to the front of the sail.. I guess I'll start sewing in the next few days.. This is all just masked together with blue painter's tape right now..

2017-03-13_16_33_15.jpg

Please make an SUL sleeve, ... you don't need any more weight on that sail! 

There's also currently no solid center/middle section to push against, so a higher level of wind will need to be achieved before it is flight worthy.  

Ground launching (if the sail were to fall flat entirely) will be more difficult too. (like trying to dead-launch a "Vicki" model)

Enjoy the experimenting and maybe we'l see one of these fly in Roanoke/Salem's blue ridge kitefest next month?

@Paul LaMasters  I'll always continue to explore the wind. I seem to learn something new on every kite.

Not sure I can make Salem. Would love to fly with you again though. That week seems to be closing in on me from numerous directions business and personal..We should cross paths at ODSKC if not before though.

The LE for this kite will simply be a sleeve of the same material the kite is made from. I do plan for it to have a slight curve though for a bit of float.. The middle of the kite will be a similar construction as my other meshes.. I understand and agree it can make the kite's usable wind range a lot tighter..

Nat'l Air & Space Museum indoor invitational is the 25th of March.  Cherry Blossom KiteFest is April 1st on the mall grounds/Washington Monument, free,.... 3 activity fields and plenty of open spaces surrounding them

MIKE/Maske is in April (but you probably do the Virginia Beach gig instead, as it's the same time & closer), Wildwood is the end of May, also Kurtiss Jones is running a new gig up at Liberty State Park over Memorial Day weekend, 

ODSKC is usually around the 3rd weekend in June if we don't see each other sooner.  Good luck with the mission.

By the time I got the box of caps unpacked and had it bridled up, the predicted wind was not cooperating.. i did manage to get a few snap in the air outside  but this was close to and under trees.  I took a few secs of footage but haven't really looked at it yet. I think this is easily a 10-15mph wind kite. Green Race LE and CF Arrow shafts for vertical spar..

Video soon weather permitting..

20170322_1530.jpg

20170322_1525.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, makatakam said:

That's some good wind for that kite! 

You put way too much work into taking a selfie, and no one can even tell it's you.:D

I still want that kite!!!

Thanks, 10-15mph seems to suit it pretty well..  As for the selfie, that was kind of the point.

• 3 months later...