KiteLife Forum

Grand Haven Quad

Deke Haid

Im going to the kite fest and I'd like to have a fresh quad kite for the occasion.

I am trying to decide which one.

Rev B or Polo 42p? Phoenix?

Which vent?

Zen?

Handle length?

I have 2 rev2's and a Freilein Vertigo std. LPG 120', 30', and 20' linesets.

I spend most of my time flying Urban short line and dont fly with others other than the occasional IKE open fly days.

Just looking for some suggestions.

Thanks,

Sean/Deke

Sent from my SM-G930V using KiteLife mobile app

I recommend a full-vent as your next kite. It will give you the ability to fly when the wind is anywhere between 4 and 25 mph, taking into account the kites you already have. Which design is up to you. I lean towards the B for everyday use. The Polo would be fine, but it costs more. If you have the bankroll, go for it. Some would argue that a mid-vent should be what you get. If you plan to just sit and watch when the wind is very strong, then get that. Otherwise, the full-vent will give you a broader range to fly in, and will help to improve your flying skills more quickly when you use it in that "gray" area where the mid-vent would be ideal.

After you have a standard sail and a full-vent you can consider a mid, or a light wind kite like the Zen. You can try mine when we see each other on the field. Light-wind flying is a completely different, and sometimes very frustrating ballgame, until you totally master the basic skills and can use the sail more efficiently with maximum brake in the line settings. Handle length for outdoor Rev-like kites is 11, 13, or 15 inches, depending on kite and conditions. 13" and 15" are the ones used most often. 11" are used when you want to decrease input to absolute minimum, for instance, 40-mph wind or extreme precision in normal wind, or when flying a quad with an extremely stiff frame to keep it from sliding out of the sky as easily.

Now that the weather is beginning to get a bit better, I should be out flying once it's in the 60's regularly. We can get together and you can try some of my kites, or others if the other guys join us, before you drop any change on your next kite.

My phone number is 224.227.0638 -- put in in your contact list. Call me anytime, except at 3:00 am.

• Like 1