KiteLife Forum

Team KiteLife Logo Contest

Hi all,

It's high time Team KiteLife had our own logo...

To that end, I'm officially opening up a new logo contest and giving away some cool stuff to whoever submits the winner!

My teammates @Flight Risk (Brett), @mystainedskin (Scott) and @windpoacher (Eli) will also be reviewing and commenting.

=======

Prizes (goes to one winner):

• 5 year KiteLife subscription (new or renewal - $164.75 value)
  • B2 sail (lightly used, no frame - $199 value)
    IMG_7593.JPG

That's right, over $360 in prizes will go to one lucky winner!

=======

Guidelines, art ideas:

• Aesthetic style should be sporty, or a little edgy
  • Does not need to resemble the main KiteLife logo
  • Include 4 pilot silhouettes (quad / dual / quad / dual)
  • No actual kites in the art, just pilots, text and... ?
  • Does not need URL in the logo (will add as needed)
  • 1x1 (square/round) or 3x2 proportions (like a business card)
  • 4 color maximum

Useful but not required:

• Vector art (like Adobe Illustrator)
  • Both light and dark background versions

For some inspiration, you can look at our existing web presence:

=======

How to start?  Easy!

Just upload your design for review here in this topic, can be fancy art or even a photo of a napkin sketch, although "ready to print" type art will naturally get the most attention.

There is no deadline for this drawing, it will run until we select a winner.

Thanks in advance, can't wait to see what all you creative folks come up with! :) 

• Like 4

I see.

4 pilot silhouettes, with one idea being alternating the pilot stance / handles / lines for dual and quad... Like #1 on quad, #2 on dual, #3 on quad, #4 on dual.

Just an idea, one of the visuals that came up in discussion but we're not married to it.

Your request for clarification is understood - I hope that explains things better. :) 

• Like 1

Where will the logo appear: stickers, cards, web sites or all of the previous?

12 hours ago, John Barresi said:

4 color maximum

Do you count a gradient as one color or an infinite set of colors (and therefore not allowed)?

If you want to make a vector drawing image, but don't own a license for Adobe Illustrator or don't want the hassle of dealing with software licences (after upgrading computers or continuing using the program when going from home to work or vice versa e.g.) or want it for free (as in speech and beer), go for Inkscape (available for Windows/MacOS/Linux). The native format is SVG with features such as being possible to mix with html (you can include links in parts of the image e.g.) and that the resulting SVG-file is a text (XML) file that you can edit by hand for total control (or to learn SVG). As for all vector graphics, the pixels will not appear no matter how much you zoom in.

13 hours ago, Exult said:

Where will the logo appear: stickers, cards, web sites or all of the previous?

All of the above - universal use.

Should be fairly clear and legible even when shrunk down to 2" wide, or normal shirt back size viewed at some distance. 

13 hours ago, Exult said:

Do you count a gradient as one color or an infinite set of colors (and therefore not allowed)?

No gradients, solid colors only - keeps things simpler all around and will work better on pins. Good question. :)

• 1 month later...

Ok well I'm no artist as you can see and this was done on my iPad once I had down loaded the app but I hope you get the idea lol , basically two silhouettes above flying 4line and there shadows flying two line or they could alternate in any order IMG_0239.JPG

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Thanks my thinking was most of us fly both 2 and 4 lines so it shows both sides of the same person , meets the guide lines and depending on who you talk too and what they prefer to fly it would also represent " THE DARK SIDE " as we all like to call it

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

Just had a shower with thinking cap on , how about keeping with the concept but have the figures and shadows as a side profile view with the top two fingers standing back to back with the bottom two mirrored , top left figure flying 4 line , right flying 2 line , bottom left flying 2 line and bottom right flying 4 line , side on view would be able to get the shape of the 4 line handles and basic details of straps

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

So far, the combined efforts @esinger and @kevmort are getting me excited with the dual/quad combo fliers, and I'm now looking at fleshing out those bodies and incorporating a clear "TKL" into the graphic somehow, adding a full name or URL underneath later.

1 hour ago, esinger said:

Or maybe this

Logo Playing.png

While I like the other submissions too, the simplicity and iconic visual of this is nice.

• Like 1