KiteLife Forum

Know Eye Deer

SHBKF

Posted this response on another site & thought it might stimulate some comments here on my kite home.  People we entertain with our kite flying have a different view.  Mostly they have Know Eye Deer.

"About half my flying is with Revolution Sportwings. I live in the rural inland mountains of Virginia & rarely even see another person while flying in mostly hay fields. SHBKF, solo hill billie kite flailer, that's me. A couple times of year I get to fly at the coast in tourist beach destinations. The interaction with random strangers goes from one extreme to the other. 

One day a few years ago I had perfect conditions, low tide, warm day, steady lab grade winds & few beach strollers. It was a memorable time as I flew the best I had ever flown up to that point. I did impressive ground side slides. killer dive stops, alternating tip stands, danced above the waves dipping down between them, Spent some time flying in & out of a trash can. Landed on every object available & chased a few seagulls. When you touch down a bunch people think you are having trouble keeping it in the air. I guess only Rev fliers really are impressed by these silly antics. A lady walked up to me & said with all sincerity "Keep trying, you will get the hang of it." 

A couple years later I was helping someone learn to fly their new Rev. They had seen me flying mine & asked for a few pointers. After helping the new flier learn to launch & land successfully I took the handles to give his kite a go. Flew for a bit & really enjoyed myself. A spectator walked up & said, "Man, I am really amazed at how you flew that kite. Are you the inventor?" I told him no, but I was about to get the hang of it."

Surely we all have heard some interesting comments as we stand on the kite field.  SHBKF

• Like 2

I've had a few strange looks lately when I told someone, "No, I'm not flying a kite, I'm flying Kite Tails."  Granted, this is a segway into talking about my kite builds but it kinda works for me..

People seem to be amazed that a mesh flies with "all those holes"

Questions about the Buggy, "Where are the Handlebars??"

On the demo field, people just don't seem to understand, how badly kite lines can cut ankles. "it's just string"

Another common question when flying the quad, lines, is "How high can you fly it??"

• Like 2

2 hours ago, riffclown said:

Another common question when flying the quad, lines, is "How high can you fly it??"

I usually answer "a 6-pack of beer and a couple of joints, but more than that and I'm too wasted".

Fishermen usually understand how badly "string" can cut. Others have no clue.

• Like 3