KiteLife Forum

Family friendly in Oregon?

ACrop

Hello,

I am traveling with the family to Oregon in late June for a reunion. We are hoping to extend for fun, so I am looking for a place that:

*Is fun and family friendly

*Won't break the bank

*Is near some good flying fields (although we may downplay that part a bit, you know it is important).

Anyone have a town or region that they would steer me towards or away from?? Any Oregon things I should be sure to hit?

Thanks!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using KiteLife mobile app

I am not that familiar with Oregon.  For something new, my family rented a cabin in Fort Stevens State Park over New Years.  We enjoyed it.  The cost was minimal, but this was during the winter.  We were walking distance (1 mile) from the beach.  My kids (19 - 13) spent a fair amount of time jumping off of the dunes and exploring the fort.  However, they enjoy that kind of thing over Disneyland type attractions.  It was dead still most of the time that we were there, so I didn't bother to fly anything.  I can sit on a beach and watch the waves for hours, I know that not everyone is like that.  There were also things to do in Astoria, and of course, the other Oregon beaches are nearby.

Eastern Oregon has high desert, so it is completely different.  Klamath Falls was pretty windy, but gusty.  That was so long ago, I think that I only had the Trlby Stack.

I don't think that I would do Ashland during the Shakespeare Festival, but I tend to avoid crowds and Shakespeare.

21 hours ago, ACrop said:

Yeah, was going to ask him this weekend. But while JB is the font of all knowledge, I figured asking everyone would be polite and maybe enlightening... Who knows maybe I would find a flyer to meet up with??

There's a bunch of quad flyers in that area. Odds are very good that you'll be able to meet up with someone.

Where about are you going in Oregon? Portland is the major city, but there are many other places to see!
PS: when in June? Lincoln City Kite Fest June 24 + 25 

Unfortunately I found out about the kite festival after the dates were set and the reunion is that weekend and too far away. Gotta go as that is the reason for traveling.

Will have to make a point to look at festival dates earlier in the year next year.

I highly recommend a family play at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland Oregon!
Beauty and the Beast will be playing in June.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

That is really worth checking into. Beauty and the beast fits our aged kids nicely. And wouldn't it be nice to have another story where thier first exposure to it wasn't Disney? Thanks.

That is really worth checking into. Beauty and the beast fits our aged kids nicely. And wouldn't it be nice to have another story where thier first exposure to it wasn't Disney? Thanks.

If you get serious about it give me some dates and I can scout out some tickets. Sometimes I can find deals.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk