KiteLife Forum

Chopping linesets

riffclown

OK My 240'(-ish) 100# Skybond lineset has had its run..I've flown them a few times in different conditions and it's time for the next phase. Pretty cool to fly but not really practical for most places.. It's time to chop them  into shorter sets for my quads.. l already have a 120' set (and I very rarely fly team; VERY rarely)

I'm thinking of breaking the 240' set up into multiple sets so I can enjoy them more often.. I fly short lines pretty often so a 20'-30' set isn't at all unreasonable to me..

I also don't compete so, that is not a factor.. I just want a variety of lengths to meet my flying style.

MY current short line sets of 25', 30' and 35' as well as my 65' sets are blendline so I could focus on putting those aside for the better Skybond sets.

so far I've come up with the following
90, 75, 40, 35
70, 60, 50, 40, 20
120, 50, 40, 30 <- Extra 120 set just in case
80, 70, 60, 30 (I can chop the 60 into 25 & 35 later if I need to)
25',30',35',40',50',& 60' <-- Maximum choppage

I could even keep a 150' set and still have 90' to slice apart in other ways..

Not limited to these suggestions. (please consider the sleeving length and tying negligible as the lines are also 1000 foot cut into fourths so they are probably closer to 250' than 240'.)

Your thoughts are welcome..

• Like 2

I would favor having a 150' set for those conditions where you have room for a really large window.  That used to be an old school dualie length back in the day I believe.  I seem to have an abundance of 85' sets.  So I would not want anything close to that length.  Maybe 150, 50 & 40 would be my choices.  Where I fly inland any length I want to fly is okay but at the beach it is really handy to have multiple choices for the tide dictated width of the beach if the wind is offshore.  And shorter sets are great when the beach is more populated in the summer.  I can always fit a short set in somewhere without endangering the public.

I'm thinking 160 and 80. It would be nice to have a HUGE window set for when you're in the mood, and leaves you with two sets that are still choppable. If you have 40's I don't see the point of having 50's, and 25's are, IMHO, just about 5 feet too short except for indoor with a super high ceiling. 40's are my go-to outdoor shorties. Close enough for catch and throw, and still gives you enough window for nice slides and traveling bicycles. I fly mostly over grass. If you're really heavy into urban, then 25's and 30's would be the way to go.

• 1 month later...

you'd be amazed at how much fun the 240's are.. in the Jockey's Ridge photo, my RWB homemade is on 240's.. I'm at the top of the dune flying on nearly the same plane as the two kiters in the valley.. Think 150' divestops. +300' window side to side..

Yes they are a blast to fly if you have the room to do so..

6 hours ago, Reef Runner said:

240's....Really ?

Oh, yeah. If you ever get the chance to try 240's, do it. It's like the whole world got put on slo-mo. You give the kite some input, and it thinks about it for a minute, and then responds. Weird and fascinating. Side slides become a week-long event.

• Like 1

I think the delay is slightly over-emphasized. You have more reaction time but the kite isn't necessarily going slower, it's just going further through the air to close the same angle in the sky. As you get outside the inner cone of the wind window, ling drag becomes a factor in sail performance. While a dive stop may be 150' long, it is still screaming towards the ground and angularly your brake action is the same.

The kite will react gracefully instead of aggressively.

I hear John say "It's so slow....." .  I guess compared to his flying style it is VERY slow. Compared to 30-foot lines it seems as if an eternity passes between input and reaction. I realize that phrasing it that way is a huge exaggeration, but the difference is definitely remarkable.

Your last sentence is probably the best description of the difference. You could even say "forced to be graceful". 

16 minutes ago, makatakam said:

I hear John say "It's so slow....." .  I guess compared to his flying style it is VERY slow. Compared to 30-foot lines it seems as if an eternity passes between input and reaction. I realize that phrasing it that way is a huge exaggeration, but the difference is definitely remarkable.

Your last sentence is probably the best description of the difference. You could even say "forced to be graceful". 

100% on the same page