KiteLife Forum

Insight Needed for Second Kite Purchase

philm63

Just learning to fly, really like dualies, and want to start learning how to do tricks. I know it would be next to impossible to trick my ITW Spider - small, heavy; and from what I have read so far on this forum and gleaned from other sources, I'm apparently looking for a full size kite. I now know what that is and have been shopping around on various kite manufacturer's sites and, if one looked at all of the choices available it quickly becomes overwhelming.

So I've picked a budget first, $200 and under, and plugged a bunch of kites in that fit said budget, looked at the features I think I want, and came up with my first short list as follows:

Prism Quantum, Prism Hypnotist, Prism E3, Skydog Jammin', and Premier Widow. Not completely fixed on Prism kites, although they take up 3 of the 5 spots on my list, and am open to suggestions. 

I can do basic stunts - figure-8, loops, draw a square, etc; and I'm starting to get the hang of ground recoveries, and starting to walk forward to scrub speed on certain maneuvers. Can't quite get it to do a predictable stall yet, but I continue to work on it. I did actually get it to do a short side slide I'm sure by accident - but it did it - and I'd really like to have a kite that could do these things with consistency so I can continue my learning.

What do you all think of my short list kites? Any other suggestions? Any insight would be greatly appreciated and don't hold any punches - I want to know from you more experienced folks if these choices make sense for what I want to do, or if are there much better choices I have not yet discovered.

I can recommend the Premier Widow NG (don't go with older Widow, pick the NG). It is a big kite with a high-end design and good manufacturing quality.

I don't know in person the other kites.

In any case go with the intermmidiate lever kites. The expert level will be way too hard to handle...

My best advice i can offer to you is to look for a second hand kite.

If you want help with that send me a PM and I will share some links with you

Sent from my SM-G935F using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Don't forget about looking at used kites, or asking if someone wants to sell some beginner kites.  There can be issues with used kites, but I've bought quite a few with no issues.  I acquired a Benson Outerspace for $85 last month, so deals do exist.  I've found a few more this last month from estate sales.  Once I go though all of mine, I may have one that I could sell to you, although most of the ones in this last batch are really old school (early 90's).  I'll let you know.

Any kite clubs in your area?  I've been able to fly a lot of different type of kites at gatherings.

I would certainly go for a full size kite.

Good Luck

• Like 3

I think that the Infinity (246cm/97" span width) can be a good second kite once you are well beyond the stage of un-planned landings. It is a robust kite that only broke once for me when I really asked for it. It is good natured when it comes to turtles and lazy susans. When entering a fade from a fractured axel it it the kite that gives me the highest success rate. It is not for the lowest wind range and got some mass/response that you can feel when tossing it around (which I like). I have not found anything I didn't like except for the turning radius at the edge of the wind window, but this get less pronounced when adjusting the bridle for somewhat higher wind). I remember that you recently discussed line lengths (http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/7880-welcome-philm63/ and http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/7889-line-lengths-for-beginners/). When being out with the Infinity I normally use 20m (66 ft) and 25m (~82 ft) lines. 

I'd second the recommendation of the Premier Widow NG. It really is an exceptional quality kite especially considering its price point. The Prism kites are solid choices as well, but I believe I'd go with the Widow NG if it was me.

• Like 2

The Widow NG is the better between the two in build quality and components. For the quality of the kite it should really be in the ~$225 range. The regular Quantum is...ehhh, okay. It's more of a beginner - intermediate kite while the Widow NG is a very solid intermediate kite. The Quantum Pro, however, is another beast altogether. But we're not talking that one.

Just my opinion, others may vary. I still love me some Prism too!

• Like 1