KiteLife Forum

Second kite and the future

Ares1744

Hello all, first post here, I'm pretty new to the kite world but dove head first into it. First kite I received was a prism single line and after flying a few times I quickly realized I wanted a dual line for the extra control so after some research I went with a prism quantum which has been an absolute blast. Recently I purchased a revolution reflex XX and realized very quickly I bit off way more than I could chew so, if able, will try and return. So with all this info I'm realizing, for now, that dual line is probably where I should stay so with that in mind I'm looking to find a new kite that ideally has a similar wind range but can handle lower wind but still handle the gusts. Where I live I don't have consistent winds. I could be looking at 8mph winds but with gusts up to 20mph or 3mph to 15mph gusts so I've been in debate on what to get.

The kites thus I've looked into are the prism 4-D, prism E3 and quantum pro. If I went 4-D I would have the quantum for the 5-20 range and 4-D for 1-15 range but leary because of the gusts one could experience. Not all days are gusty but lately it's been interesting. I do want to learn tricking so the E3 and pro are an option too but just not sure. They both have good wind ranges and lighter frames than the quantum (I think).Any advice is welcome.

Also, is anyone near the Binghamton NY area? Or if people know of anyone somewhat close please let me know. I think there is a locator option somewhere but I'm still trying to navigate.

Thanks all in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Hi, Ares, and welcome to the forum.

All kites are fun. Single, dual, quad. Some people fly one type, some fly two, some fly all three. There are even three-line kites. What you want to do will determine which you choose. Single line is a lot of work setting up and breaking down, especially the big ones, but if the wind is steady you can relax the whole day. Dual line kites are capable of lots of different tricks, many of which can be difficult to learn, and generally require a lot of physical input by the flyer. Quads are primarily about precision and control, but are limited in the number of slack-line tricks they can do.

IMHO, quads are easier to learn to fly well than duals, once you get your head wrapped around the four line thing, and can set up and break down with ease. I fly all three types, but prefer the quads, although I haven't given up learning to trick a dual. However, it seems as I get older I am also getting lazier, and also the body just don't move like it used to. There's bunches of flyers up and down the East Coast, and many of them fly both dual and quad. Get together with some of them at one of the kite festivals. They will have you flying that Rev in no time. Give it a chance before you unload it.

I see that Binghamton is about an hour and a half from the coast, but you should consider going to any festivals within a two-hour drive, one way. Yeah, it's a lot of road time, but getting help from experienced flyers will shave many hours off your learning curve. Learning on your own, even single line kites, can be a tedious journey. Duals will drive you crazy. Quads will just piss you off. Kite flyers are a friendly bunch, and always have the time and inclination to help someone learn.

Some parts of the journey can be a bit frustrating. Just remember to have fun, smile, and don't forget to breathe.

9 hours ago, Ares1744 said:

Ok, I will look into finding kite festivals to attend within a reasonable distance. Where would be the best place to information related to finding festivals?

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Many of the festivals will be posted on this forum, especially the large ones that have been happening for decades. Those are definitely worth the trip. Other, smaller, festivals are very common, and there's probably half a dozen in your area this year. Google your state + kite festival, narrow it down by county, etc. I don't know of anywhere, except maybe AKA (American Kiteflyers Association) that may have a listing even close to being complete. I've had good results just Googling kite fest. 

While you're Googling kite fests, do the same for kite clubs, and if there is one in your area/state/region, join. They can fill you in on the ones worth attending, and can help with getting started. Most are free to join, and will have a forum or chat site where you can ask questions and post your progress. 

And stay tuned here. Some members only check what's happening weekly or even just monthly, but eventually someone in your neck of the woods will pop in and say "Hi, let's fly". I spent a year and a half trying to learn to fly a Rev on my own before I even knew kite clubs or forums existed, so at this point you're already ten times further than I got in the same amount of time. Another option is to get a bunch of the people in your area into it and fly with them. It's always better with a little help and camaraderie.