KiteLife Forum

Patriotic Mesh

riffclown

So my RWB plans for the 5" wide tails didn't go as planned.. While I'm trying to figure out what to do with the material, I've mocked up a new RWB Transition Mesh.. I know I said I thought I was done with the transitions but the apparent randomness of the finished product has a look I can't duplicate easily without them.. Inital mockup only..

Not even tape yet just a quick layout to decide if this is what I want or do I want a darker back to the kite with Red and Blue Strips instead of all white.. From the back right now this kite will be all white with specks of Red and blue unless it's front-lit in which case the Red and blue would show through better..

20170507_203321.jpg

• Like 2

Do you not actually basket weave them together?? That would solve the all white back without changing the materials at all.

It would also be fun to play with where they weave in order to get some colors to show clear and form a pattern or picture.

Also, the back white is a less intense white than any of the front colors...So they show through more than if it was the same white from the front tails.

I like the RWB on this one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lynn Pugh said:

The blue in the flag is the less dominate color, so what about swapping some of the solid white on the back with solid red.

Great point!! I'm thinking the same thing now.  I might do a stripe or two of Blue on one side only with the same intent in mind,

6 minutes ago, ACrop said:

Do you not actually basket weave them together?? That would solve the all white back without changing the materials at all.

It would also be fun to play with where they weave in order to get some colors to show clear and form a pattern or picture.

Also, the back white is a less intense white than any of the front colors...So they show through more than if it was the same white from the front tails.

I like the RWB on this one.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using KiteLife mobile app

I typically don't basket weave the transition tails since they have a good side and a bad side. I do basket weave a lot when using the single color (skywriter) tails. I thought about weaving in a pattern on a previous venture and it was pretty frustrating. Was going to make it say RIFF but proved a bit daunting. Agreed the back white material is less "bright" but it's the only white tails I have..

Keep in mind my ventures are all what can be done with tails as the base fabric. It does make for heavier sail but I like the random personality it gives to the kites,,

Thanks for the suggestions, Will continue to try and get that right balance for this.. That's also why nothing is taped or sewn yet.

This one will be a double build so I can mate the halves easier without having to flip the fabric.. I'll just cut the opposite diagonal and swap a half from each panel. End result will be 2 similar kites.. 1.5 size is the current plan..

• Like 1

Second Panel mockup is masked out..Ignore the orange tape of course, but wanted to show the two stripe patterns I went with for the back. Predominately Red & White with a central Blue for continuity.. Time for the machine now..

20170508_185505.jpg

20170508_185424.jpg

• 1 month later...

Still a a ways to go.. I decided to actually do a "proper" center panel this time. Center Panel is the extra material from the recent full sail build with 5" wide Gomberg tails.. 

Everything is still in keeping with my Sails from Tails mentality.. Only the Leading Edge and hardware came from other dedicated sources..

20170624_0953591.jpg

• Like 2