KiteLife Forum

Line Degradation

RonB

Ok....first post.  I'm a 63 year old retiree who inherited some of my father's kite gear.  I travel fairly frequently on a motorcycle during the nice weather and wanted to take up kiting as a relaxing pass time when on the road.  Due to storage issues I picked up a power foil and while it has provided some entertainment (when I was able to get it in the air and not just try and untangle the four lines) I want to try the Revolution style as my father had.

My plan is to 'start' with a classic 1.5 standard with a travel frame so I can take it on the bike realizing that if i get the 'bug' I'll add on.  

My Dad had given his Rev to his grandson however I've ended up with his two Delta's and a quad line Synergy by Decca/Guildworks (?).  It also includes the handles for the quad line kite and also the line.  All this gear has been kept in a kite bag in my Mom's house since he last flew which is about 16 years ago.  Will the lines be any good for me to use during my upcoming learning curve?  There's been no extreme temps or UV issues?  I'll measure the handles to see if there 13" which is what I see in the Rev packages.

Thanks in advance.....

Ron - Vancouver Island BC

So you have the Rev? Stored like that, there should be no problem - unless you have old Kevlar lines!! OK for solo flying, just don't try flying them with others or you will cut lines! Usually characterized by a tan color, not white or faded white.

The synergy is no longer in production, I would very carefully inspect all the fittings for wear or brittleness. Some fittings from that era degraded over time - check thoroughly!

The Rev and the synergy, while both quads, fly completely different. I would choose to learn the Rev, as it is the most commonly used. 

Handles are measured using the blank before bending - 13" handles would be just over 12' after bending. The blanks are all given as "odd" sizes - 11", 13", 15"  - the finished handles are just a bit shorter.

Back to the Rev - do you know the model and/or make? Lots of different sails with multiple venting options out there. Too vented means low wind won't be strong enough, full sail can be too much if it blows too much, I suggest getting it out, setting it up, and posting some pix. We can then provide more detailed info! Don't forget a close up of the lines! 

• Like 1

Come on down to Seattle, and I will help you set up your Rev.  And I will take that terrible Synergy off of your hands :)

In all seriousness, the Deca is a great quad, but it isn't a Rev.  I've let a number of new flyers try the Deca, and they all pick it up a little faster than a Rev.  They really haven't been made for a while, so a lot of people don't even know about them.  The Decas can be very confusing to set up, especially if the spars have been twisted into the support lines in a confusing way.  Revs are super easy to set up.  Come on down to Seattle, and I will show you how to set up your Synergy Deca, too.

DSC_0541.jpg

Here is an old shot of some of my quadlines for a size comparison.

In front, in white/black/pink is a Synergy Deca15

Pink/blue is a Rev2

Blue/white/black/red is a Rev Backtracker

Black/red on the left is a Rev Shockwave

Red/Black/White on the right is a Rev 1.5

Not pictured is a Rev1, which is larger than all of those.

• Like 1

@RonB Definitely take Brett up on his offer. To have an experienced pilot only an hour away, who can help you in the early stages is worth its weight in gold. To have someone that close who can also set up a Deca is priceless! A couple of times out with Brett will take months off the learning curve.

Smile, have fun and don't forget to breathe.

Thanks very much for the input fellas I appreciate it.

I haven't bought the Rev yet however it will be very soon.....within days.  I've spent a lot of time searching and then chatting to local experts here in Victoria who have been extremely helpful.  What they do with their Rev's is just nutz.

As far as the Synergy goes, I actually pulled it out of my Dad's kite bag this morning and took some pics of it.....putting it together would give me a migraine.  At this point, I'm just interested in relaxing and trying my hand with my first Rev and have no intention of using the Synergy at all so I guess I'll see if there's any interest in it on line.  Good old Dad kept the receipt for it from Ocean Kites in Long Beach WA (not there anymore I don't think) in an envelope in the kite bag.....just a tad OCD.

I'll attach a few pics here.....the spars have labels The Advantage Ultra Light and Sky Shark Competition Air Frame....which at this point doesn't mean a heck of a lot to me....:blink:

Synergy 1.JPG

Synergy 2.JPG

Synergy 3.JPG

Hi Brett,

My Dad flew his Rev and two Deltas and he got the Synergy for my Mom.  He bought the Synergy at '94 and stopped flying in '99 due to health issues just prior to his passing.  Al the gear has been in his kite bag in my Mom's house since then.  The handles etc are also in the bag.

Have a boo at the receipt:

Synergy 4.JPG

Pretty Cool.  I'll bet that he bought it during the Washington State International Kite Festival.  That one looks like the pre-HQ Six panel version.  Are the handles wood or bent carbon-fiber spars?

I'll be honest, while both are fun to fly, the Deca has a zen quality to it that the rev just doesn't have.  Now I am just throwing out an opinion, but I would ditch buying a rev, and just start flying what you have.  The initial setup is tricky, but after you have done it a few times and learn how to put it away and set it up, you can do it just as quickly as a rev.  They pack up pretty small.  You can lay on your back in the grass and fly them one-handed.  They will float and move about on the breeze with a magical quality.  It will remind you of your dad.  The skills that you learn while flying it will translate over to the rev.  You might want to try it out before getting a rev.  Rev has been around for a while, and I doubt they are going anywhere.  You can always pick one up later.  Many Rev flyers have never flown anything but a rev, so that is all that they have opinions about.

I would love to pick up another Deca, but I really think that you should try flying it first.  My dad hasn't passed on yet, but I won't ever sell that set of Trlbys that he got, oh, so long ago.

This should be helpful.

Zero_Wind_Deca._manual.pdf

Even with instructions it can be mind-boggling the first couple of times. I once tried to assemble one in the field without instructions and got nowhere. Best to have someone show you, and even then if you don't fly it for a year or two you'll probably need a refresher course.

Thanks for that Mark.  I have lots of momentos of my Dad so I think I'll stick with plan A and get a Rev with a travel frame so I can take it on my trips and list the Synergy and see if anyone is interested in it.

Thanks for that Mark.  I have lots of momentos of my Dad so I think I'll stick with plan A and get a Rev with a travel frame so I can take it on my trips and list the Synergy and see if anyone is interested in it.

Deca's don't come up that often. I bet there will be some serious interest.

Edit: I found the travel frame a little heavy. It likes a bit more wind than a normal 3 frame.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Rob I too have been told about the weight of the Travel Frame.....however it's use will be limited to my MC trips when I want to take a break and just play around on the beach.  While home or away in a car I'll use a conventional frame with the 1.5 B.

I know zero about the Synergy, and not too much about kiting to be honest, so I'll list it in the classifieds without a price as I have no idea of it's value.  All I know is that it's a shame to just stay in the kite bag and not be flown.  I had another look in the kite bag today and along with all the handles, line sets etc the Synergy Deca Owner's Manual was there.  So I have the Synergy, line sets, handles, original receipt and Owner's Manual....pretty much complete I would say for some who is after one.