KiteLife Forum

Welcome Justin2kites

Hello @Justin2kites,

Welcome to KiteLife®!

Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Need to tweak settings?

Edit your profile here - View Member
Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/

Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for...

Member Chat
Member Map
KL Shop

And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life! ;)

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone. I'm Justin, from the NW Houston area. I've been into sport/stunt kites for about two years now. So far only dual line, and most of my kites are Prisms, but I will be looking to branch out eventually. I haven't been able to fly very often lately, so progress has been slow as far as tricks go, but some things are changing and I hope to be able to fly much more in the immediate future. As far as normal flying goes I am pretty confident. I've been "into" kites (and pretty much anything that flies) my whole life, but never had a "real" kite until I got my Prism Quantum about two years ago.

John Barresi, if you are reading this I want you to know that you were the reason I finally decided to get a real kite and give it a try. I ran across that video of you flying the Kymera on the beach and was totally amazed, and instantly hooked. I think I ordered my Quantum the same day and from the first flight the hook was set. I can't tell you how many times I've watched that video, and it never gets old to me.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi!B)

• Like 4

Nice kite. Tube tails are a lot of fun. Welcome to Kitelife.

JB has been hooking them for a while. Have a look around. There is lots on here. Have you seen any of the tutorials? Gold they are.

In between Heaven and Earth, there are kites.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Justin2kites said:

So far only dual line

"only dual line"? There is so incredibly much to learn - even after (...quickly adding active vs. passive years...) five years.

so progress has been slow as far as tricks go

"only dual line"? There is so incredibly much to learn - even after (quickly adding active vs. passive years) five years. And tricks are not everything, consider precision and tempo changes.

I hope to be able to fly much more in the immediate future

Abandon the hope approach - seize the opportunities instead. E.g. without having any changes in life, living and work I was able to increase the number of sessions when I "discovered" the pre-work sessions. Another insight that has increased the number of sessions is that almost no matter the weather conditions (except for thunder, hurricanes, heavy rain combined with no wind and hailstorms where the individual hail pellets are large), there is always some skill to practice. I realize that this might not be everyone's cup of tea (especially not if and when learning the basics) - enjoy it in your way!

11 hours ago, Justin2kites said:

I can't tell you how many times I've watched that video, and it never gets old to me.

I also had an important video when returning to kiting ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvUJ9bxB0Gc), but can't claim that I wouldn't have walked the path without it, but it still serves as an inspiration and goal.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, makatakam said:

Hi, Justin, and welcome to the forum. Fly often. Each time out you get a bit better. 

Looks like you've got it under control already.

Thanks!:)

11 hours ago, Exult said:

"only dual line"? There is so incredibly much to learn - even after (...quickly adding active vs. passive years...) five years.

"only dual line"? There is so incredibly much to learn - even after (quickly adding active vs. passive years) five years. And tricks are not everything, consider precision and tempo changes.

Abandon the hope approach - seize the opportunities instead. E.g. without having any changes in life, living and work I was able to increase the number of sessions when I "discovered" the pre-work sessions. Another insight that has increased the number of sessions is that almost no matter the weather conditions (except for thunder, hurricanes, heavy rain combined with no wind and hailstorms where the individual hail pellets are large), there is always some skill to practice. I realize that this might not be everyone's cup of tea (especially not if and when learning the basics) - enjoy it in your way!

I also had an important video when returning to kiting ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvUJ9bxB0Gc), but can't claim that I wouldn't have walked the path without it, but it still serves as an inspiration and goal.

Thanks for the advice!

Believe me, I don't say "only dual line" lightly. I'm still learning basic stuff and can definitely see that it is not something that is easily learned, which is fine with me.;)

Great video! Thanks for sharing. I added it to my favorites list.B)

• Like 1

.....and then you discover quad-line kites. Ouch!

I always say, “things on strings”.
It’s amazing how your existing kite skills are enhanced through competency on other kinds of kites - dual, quad, single, it’s all wind on surface. :)

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, John Barresi said:

I always say, “things on strings”.
It’s amazing how your existing kite skills are enhanced through competency on other kinds of kites - dual, quad, single, it’s all wind on surface. :)

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

I've had similar experiences with other hobbies. Started becoming a much better drummer when I started learning guitar, even though I was sacrificing drum time to play guitar.B)

• Like 1

The actual posting event of the mostly offline written contents of my previous post wasn't very calm and therefore the resulting text was thereafter:

1. In this topic of Welcoming I rudely missed out the obvious:
    Welcome here @Justin2kites !!!
  2. Instead of stuttering chunks of redundant text as a reply to:
    On 11/16/2017 at 3:29 AM, Justin2kites said:

so progress has been slow as far as tricks go

I really meant:
    Get into stalling and barely flying as a start for tricking and have a look on the several getting-into-DLK topics here.

Good general kiting luck!

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Justin2kites said:

Was planning on getting a Rev asap, but after reading some stuff on the forum, I now have mixed feelings. I've been eyeballing the Frelions(sp?) as well.

Spelled Freilein and pronounced (free line). Many good options out there to choose from - all the reputable ones are fine fliers. Up to your color and pattern choices.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

John Barresi is also the reason i got back. I knew about dlk ballets and precision flying but the tricks blew my mind. I had no idea kites could do that. Also why right now I am preferring dlk over qlk. Qlk seems too "flat" trick wise and is closer to ballets than tricking. Having tried one i do have an idea of how much skill is involved. But still, doesn't appeal to me right now. Dl trick kite appeals to the same part of me that got me into rc 3d helicopters (search alan szabo on YouTube. You'll understand)

Still wants a rev though

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Fluke said:

John Barresi is also the reason i got back. I knew about dlk ballets and precision flying but the tricks blew my mind. I had no idea kites could do that. Also why right now I am preferring dlk over qlk. Qlk seems too "flat" trick wise and is closer to ballets than tricking. Having tried one i do have an idea of how much skill is involved. But still, doesn't appeal to me right now. Dl trick kite appeals to the same part of me that got me into rc 3d helicopters (search alan szabo on YouTube. You'll understand)

Still wants a rev though emoji39.png

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L21 using KiteLife mobile app

The DLK's are more appealing to me as well. I definitely still want a Rev, though.

I'm not great with heli's, but I can put a 3d/4d airplane through it's paces pretty well. Been into r/c for almost thirty years.B)

I think maybe J.B. is the A.S. of the kite world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fluke said:

but even the most expensive and advanced trick kite is still way cheaper than a decent stunt rc aircraft setup :P

haven't tried heli much. had a ttr raptor and an align trex. sold them before crashing them. still have nitro stuff

I have always thought the same, kite flying has numerous advantages over many other hobbies.  Just a few come to mind.  No batteries (unless decorative night flight lighting), no meeting up with the team (unless you're so inclined), low maintenance (well maybe a bit at first), can fly most anywhere (within a few parameters) & is much less expensive than horses or hot rods.  The wind is always a bit different each time & continued efforts bring further rewards.  The smiles per gallon are incredible.  SHBKF

• Like 3

I was into RC soaring back in the day. Didn't care for the noise and fumes of powered flight. The cost of flying RC gliders is pretty close to that of powered aircraft and that was another consideration. I got into quad line kites and found that the initial expense and continued maintenance cost me less than a quarter of RC sailplanes, and I could have 20 wings for the price of four, and they fit into 1/10 of the space. Win/win. I still fly some RC quadcopter, but in the less expensive form, like under $300 total. 

I also have been drawn to flying things in just about any form, including rockets, and see that  a lot of kite flyers leave other types of flying behind for the simplicity and elegance of wind-powered flight. For me, kites were a logical transition.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, makatakam said:

I got into quad line kites and found that the initial expense and continued maintenance cost me less than a quarter of RC sailplanes,

I also have been drawn to flying things in just about any form, including rockets, and see that  a lot of kite flyers leave other types of flying behind for the simplicity and elegance of wind-powered flight. For me, kites were a logical transition.

ha same same. i was big into offroad rc buggy. on race weekends i would spent around $200-300 between fees, fuel, tires, glowplugs and what not. still kept one car for fun. oh and the maintenance....

• Like 1

Hello Justin, new here myself. Ton of stuff to read here. Been doing more reading than flying last couple  days due to the roller coaster winds sigh. Jumped into this kite thing with both feet and kinda irked the wife by getting a Widow ng to start. Just showed her your intro posts and the cost ratio to other hobbies. She thawed a bit -_-. Not to the point of getting another kite but progress  has been made .Yay so thanks for that, welcome and have fun.

• Like 3

Yep, I think kites are a great value as a hobby.  Kiting is definitely cheaper than any of my other hobbies. I've been trying to explain to my all friends and family that everyone should have at least one DLK.:D I've had a little success. One of my friends fell in love with a couple of older kites I had acquired recently, so I sold them to him for him and his wife. We haven't had a chance to fly together yet, but it will happen soon. We actually drove all the way (two hour drive) to Galveston a couple weeks ago specifically to fly, but there was no wind, despite the forecast saying 15-20mph.:rolleyes: