KiteLife Forum

Ash Frame Recommendations

esinger

Are you getting it as sail only? One of my team mates has 2- one framed in P-90, one in P-100, both SkyShark rods. I have used my Rev Bl. Race rods in mine and will try my diamond frame if conditions allow. Probably could even use a 2 wrap. All of them seem to work!!

Hi Wayne,
Yes the Ash is arriving at Flying Smiles Kites as just the sail. They asked me if I wanted to purchase a frame to accompany it, which I do, however I'm wasn't sure what frame to ask for. They recommended a P-100 frame, but i thought it wouldn't hurt to ask other opinions before it arrived.

Sent from my XT1575 using KiteLife mobile app

Since I've really only flown Rev rods for years, I can't compare the SS rods to them yet. Getting some P-100s to put in it in a couple weeks, then I'll have a better idea of what they feel like. Until then, all the Rev frames I listed will fit. If you have any of them, they will fit and work just fine. 

PS: Awesome kite BTW!!

PSS: I flew both the Ashes and std this last weekend, both on race rods - SWEET!!

• Like 2

The SS rods don't have the snap and quick response of race rods or diamond rods, but if you're looking for straight tracking and slow precision flying, they can't be beaten. If you're a flailer, you probably won't like them. If you're style is all about smooth and graceful, it will be love at first flight.

I especially like them in very light wind sails. The slow response/return rate keeps the sail loaded longer, requiring just a bit less effort to stay airborne. In the end, the conditions will determine which of the choices is preferable. 

My two cents on the topic. 

P.S. -- See my avatar? P100 LE + P200 Uprights, custom lengths. LE 96", uprights 28.5".

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

I do both - as I am a team flier, but also do solo and duets., So my "style" is always a mix of the 2. Team + duet is very controlled and choreographed, solo - I just let it hang out. 

Then you will definitely find plenty of use for P100 frames. Try some P90 in your SUL's as well as some P90/P100 hybrids. I think you'll like them. This one has a P90/P100 hybrid. I fly it in 1/2-mph wind, sitting on my butt. In this photo, it has a black race LE with P100 uprights for heavier wind up to 2-mph. The aspect ratio is higher than a 1.5 Rev, longer LE, shorter uprights -- custom lengths that fit this sail only. If you look closely, you'll notice that the bungees are very short and don't double back. The LE mesh has been replaced with "holes". The endcaps are stick-pen end plugs, and the bridle is made of 70-lb spectra line. In addition, the center bridle loop on the bridle is adjustable so it can be lengthened or shortened, depending on the wind strength, because the bridle is attached to the ends of the bungees at the tips to increase duration of sail loading.

DSCN2637.JPG

• Like 1

@esinger   I have to agree with Cath and Eliot's suggestions BUT this also might be an opportunity to explore.. Maybe a frame you DON'T already have.. Crystal T-0 also works pretty well on light kites. (I use one in my Ghost on occasion.) T-2 is the standard on the Freilein kites.

We've flown together and are fairly close in distance. Let me know if you'd like.. I'll let you borrow any of my frames next time we fly.. Going to The Rogallo?? Wright?? I plan to be at both event's Rogallo is only a few weeks away..

I have a P90 frame as well if you'd like to try it.. .

@riifclown Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that.   Although I can't make the Rogallo, we'll see about the Wright Kite Festival.   To be honest,  I've emerged from a different time where most everyone flew dual line kites and few flew quads.   The whole concept of changing rods/spars in a Rev is completely new to me.   That only happened when I broke one.   The kite just came with the rods and that was that.   It's exciting to get a premium quad kite for once.

Thank you all for the advice!

Eric 

Nice having rod interchangeability! As a team flier, we are always trying to come up with a common setup. That way one kite doesn't rocket off, while the others are dragging behind. Using different frames is one way to customize the setup for team unity.

Just remember that any 1.5 frame will fit in any 1.5 sail!

• Like 1

Well Wayne I'm definitely not living in fear of flying with a team LOL.   I honestly don't know of any active flyers in the area, but I do see the point you're making.   Sounds like the original plan of going with the SS P-100 rods will be a good start.   Maybe after a short amount of time I'll buy another set of different rods to try out.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Hi,

I have an Ash on order and I'm hoping it will arrive within the next two weeks. Does anyone have thoughts or recommendations on frames for this kite?

Thanks,
Eric

Sent from my XT1575 using KiteLife mobile app

Can't go wrong with a set of Black Race rods. Fly down to zero on short lines while still having enough mass to throw around.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app
  • Like 1

I been flying the Ash with P100 and I have found them fine from to low wind "we should just stop" to "we are a bit overpowered should we just go stright to mid-vent". I must admit I played alot more with different rod in my B's then I have in the Pro's. Just found I haven't need to.

Sent from my SM-N920I using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Update - got the Sky Shark rods in and been using them per Bazzer's recommendations. Everything works in the sails that they were designed for, but I'm still leaning towards trying my Diamond rods in the Ashes again. More to help me decide which "feel" I like better. But I did have one experience with the P-100s - got caught flying an Ashes when should have flown a mid - P-100s held up fine, not so sure my Diamonds would have survived!

• Like 2