rneiman3

Does Anyone Still Fly Lam's ABS Quadline?

rneiman3    9

I am an 'old school' kite flyer that's been 'out of the loop' for nearly 19 years & I am now getting my '2nd wind'! I am mostly a dual line flyer, but used to fly mostly Rev's & a few Deca's.

In reading some of the older posts, I saw where Lam Hoac developed an interesting quad line, the ABS, about 3 years ago. I've not seen a whole lot of info or newer posts on this kite. Is it still being produced? Is it still a relevant quad design?

What do you who fly quads think about this kite?

kitedad    41

I've been to every kite festival in the northwest for longer than the abs has been out except the one in rockaway beach oregon. and have never seen one or heard of any talk about one. Not to say its not a good kite or anything, maybe its too hard to get or something. The revs being so dominant here probably has a lot to do with it. Would also like to hear some feedback about the abs for curiosity's sake.

makatakam    1,476

There's videos on YouTube. I know people who have flown it and they say it flies well, quite similar to a Rev, but with its own distinct flavor -- whatever that means. From the videos I've seen it appears to be quite precise. Of course most of the videos I've seen are ones in which Lam is flying the kite, and he's no slouch at any quad. I think it may be pricey + overseas shipping.

Jynx    45

I have had one for some time. Flies great, a bit more set-up (pieces) than the Revs.

• Like 1

Paul LaMasters    443

I haven't really seen ANY footage of a slide, assuming that was sacrificed to create the 3D shape,.... am I incorrect?

Wayne Dowler    1,435

Last time I looked in the shop to compare prices (2 years ago), they averaged out at around $400.00 each and there were 4 or 5 models. So that meant they were roughly the same price as the then "B" pros made by Bazzer. At the time it was only $100 difference in getting a full set of them vs the Revs. Not sure of any current pricing or availability. 

Paul LaMasters    443

Thanks for the video share, I did see lam's famous diamond shaped slide in there, still comfortable for him although not like his rev flights in visual crispness

TonyB    13

I recently purchased the latest version of Lam's ABS kite: the ABS MC (master control) SUL for $280. It arrives on Monday and I'll give some feedback once I've had a chance to test it out.

IMG_8657.thumb.jpg.2481a863fac860231e0b5c5dbc2ac180.jpg