KiteLife Forum

Made my day

Daougie

I haven't been flying much. Life has been getting in the way but I did get out last night. Just flew for fun, with a long tail on the kite. Only had to share the field with one other flyer. I didn't get a chance to meet him, but he was very good, doing a lot of slack line tricks. As I was packing up an elderly lady stopped and said how much she enjoyed watching me fly, and that maybe I should help the other gentleman as he couldn't even keep his kite right side up.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 3

If I had a dollar for every time I heard that one out on the field, I could buy a round of drinks. I usually tell them that the wind is too variable in that spot to fly with any stability, and they buy it hook, line and sinker. It really makes me want to laugh out loud, but that would be quite rude, so I wait until they are out of earshot. Then I go into ROFLMAO mode.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Gotta love the elderly, and those who just don't get it :P. Was nice though how she enjoyed your flying. I've only been doing this little more than a month and people are constantly stopping to watch me fly, taking pictures, and have received so many compliments on how awesome the kite is, or how beautiful. Then you have the kids with all there ooo's, ahhh's, and wow's. Kiting is just good clean wholesome fun.  

20 hours ago, esinger said:

The Hydra is a great kite. I love mine

Yes I completely agree (had a kite shop in Germany import it from US for me to get it - never did any corresponding waiting/procedure for any other kite). It is the kite that got me going with half axel cascades (and is still the kite I perform them best with). You don't need to set the kite up properly, you more or less do it by only pulling the top wing when doing the half axels (at least when the wind is not to light). My other kites require more input/help here.

Also the Hydra is my favourite kite when doing inputs of the type that you don't know the outcome of. Yes, this is very far from tricking like it looks like it is on purpose, but I hope it is a way of avoiding getting stuck in the moves that I'm used to and hopefully makes me continuing with development. Even though I strive for that the tricking should look like it is on purpose, it is my belief that one need to let go of it (i.e. pausing figure flying and sometimes even the fine polishing repetition part of tricking), dare to do the early part of a learning a new trick (or just experiment) without thinking of if it looks well or not. To increase the percentage of time in non-ordinary flying positions or transitions between them, to make it close to normal (and increase understanding/experience of kite movements I usually do not end up doing otherwise) was the main theme of my attempts during the (early) spring (before I got distracted by other stuff and above all distracted myself with various other kite projects).

• Like 1