KiteLife Forum

The Next Little Thing - Full Spectrum

riffclown

After the positive experiences with the Red White and Blue 96' Transition tails, I decided to branch out into slightly different spectrum.. I decided to get another 96' tail and make a small stack of 5 (Rev II-ish) sized kites. This will be a fixed stack of kites and will always be flown as such.

I don't want to give away the finished version entirely but here is a quick spectrum layout for the 5 sails..

The Rulers separate the 5 panels.. Lots of sewing to do on these.

ROYGBIV-Transition.jpg

• Like 1

This is just one of the 5 tails I received today. More cool stuff in store for the future.. I'm really enjoying the facets of how these tails come together to make some really cool designs..  When I sewed the first one a few years back, I had no idea that I would get to fly kites like these, much less make them.. Every kite is a slight modification and application of lessons learned from the predecessor..

I just wonder am I ever going to go back and correct the previous kites at this point or will i just make a new sail instead?? Seems to take about the same amount of effort..

• Like 1

you can rebuild beginner projects, but nobody does.  Make 'em modification testing and experimental stations since they will be replaced anyway.  

The whole "what happens if" becomes easier if you have sacrificial sails to play with during your design phase.

Moving the the down-spars entirely, or only adjusting their angles?

If you are making baby-sized Revs you should contract Harold Ames. Maybe not, if you don't want to be overwhelmed with information! 

Train lines that pass thru the whole stack, instead of connect each sail independently to the ones in front.  Affixing the train lines to the bridle instead of end-caps, when/where to use a taped assembly method instead of sewing.  Use of a one piece leading edge tube and reinforcing for higher wind (or more kites in the stack) by insertion of pultruded carbon tubes inside that LE.

enjoy and keep sharing

Thanks Paul these will be a 72" leading edge and I'm targeting B2 sized sails.. The Aspect ratio may be slightly higher. I plan for these to be permanantly stacked with no bridles on any but the front kite. Stack lines will be slightly shorter than standard but I also plan to throw launch this stack regularly.

LE for all will be standard materials and construction. Framing will be heavier in the front gradually moving to a lighter frame for the rear kite..

The Spectrum Stack is taking shape.. The panels are sewn now.. I need to make the LE Sleeve and screen. Do the edge trim and get the hardware I'll need. (already ordered, just waiting for the mail at this point.) Picture is just a mockup. Edges and final sizing are not done yet.

LE's will be Black. This is a long ways from done but the piecework is done and It's ready for trim..

I plan to edge bind the bottom area since on this design there is no natural hem there.

SpectrumStackInitialMockup.jpg

• Like 6

Here's the panels as they are at the moment. Did not want to give the impression they were near a finished state. Just close enough to mockup and get an idea of what they will eventually look like.. Spent the Evening making Leading Edges for all of them. This MIGHT be ready by the Wright Festival.. These 5 are the only kites I'm working on at the moment.. as always, that's subject to change on a whim..

Panels.jpg

• Like 6

To completely balance it out there should be one more kite but not enough material. I have just over 3 feet of tail left and it's mostly the indigo.  7 colors over 5 kites was already a bit of a challenge. Good spot on the progression of colors. I did rush the spectrum a bit on the last panel to get more purple there. I could add a touch more but it isn't a significant enough amount to warrant resewing the panel.

Thank You.. I have to decide what spars I'm willing to cut to frame this set. I don't have any extra B2 Frames. I don't like cutting Rev or Skyshark spars because as soon as i do i end up needing what I cut later.

Got my small box from OSK yesterday with the parts I needed to finish these sails..Enough materials for 16 kites..

The Current 5 plus the next 11..

CapsANDBungees.jpg

The Spectrum Stack really needed a bag.

I usually make bags for my kites from the same tails I make the kites from.. It just makes it easy to know what's in the bag that way.. I decided to try something new to me using a strip left from the 96' and the scraps cut from the leading edge.. Definitely representative of what's in the Bag. The black material is the taffeta cheapie stuff FS #1 was made from. All of the color is from the Spectrum Stack Kites..

spectrum-bag.jpg

Looks like first flight for this stack is going to have to be altered.. I won't be able to make the Wright festival this year after all.. Hopefully I'll get out for a few minutes to my regular flying field.. If so I'll fly'em and get some footage there.

Sometimes Life Happens