KiteLife Forum

Different Sparring Approach

riffclown

As many of you know I like not only the B2/Rev II size leading edge, but also the Regular 1.5 Leading Edge size, and, a 97.5" Leading Edge (3 32.5" Spars)

On the other hand, I don't care to cut spars any more than needed. (thus my affinity for the 97.5 LE) After a bit of measuring and calculation today I confirmed that cutting a 9" Center Spar off my 32.5" P4X's and adding Ferrules to both ends of those gave me the Verticals I needed for my stack but also allowed me to Frame the LE without any further cutting. The 9" Center plus 2, 32.5" spars gave me a nice 74" LE and the ability to move those around for different wind conditions with P2X 32.5 Spars.. It opens up the possibilities without cutting every single spar to B2/RevII lengths..
Granted I have to fold the kites differently but I had planned for that already with a Z-Fold type arrangement. That's why my bag probably seemed kind of long to most trained eyes..

I'll cut one (or maybe even 2) P8x Spar(s) into 3 10.5" pieces so I can use Rev length spars in the mix as well and have a very stiff center section without the total weight tradeoff a full P8x LE would demand. It's not quite the  @Paul LaMasters totally modular approach with travel frames but I'll save a bit of the tradeoff weight by having fewer ferrules..

Now I have lots of framing options and interchangeability between my different sized quads.

• Like 3

It is feasible, on smaller size (RevII, B2) kites to leave them assembled except for the endcaps, and keep them in a bag specifically made for that purpose. Setting up becomes a simple matter of putting on the endcaps and attaching the flying lines.

My personal sparring preference is: jab, jab, right cross, jab, uppercut.:lol:

I've thought about that but the approach doesn't work as well for me as it would still be 6 ft long.. I'm currently undoing one LE Spar and folding the kite over on its face.. That seems to be working pretty well, fits in my bag and is easy to transport in my vehicle.. (FWIW, I tend to pack heavy, "VERY heavy.")

Yup, there's always many things to consider. Just wanted to make you aware of that possibility, in case you had overlooked. The best solution is always what works best for you. I pack "light" -- you know, like about 40 pounds. That's just the quads and field accessories.

I know Paul pretty well.. Missed flying with him this year at the ODSKC but that's a whole different story..My Stacks are nested the same way you'd fold and roll a single kite.. i just include allowances for the additional bulk.

In the case of the Spectrum Stack, it will be folded twice around about a 14inch Z Fold and then rolled. I'll also be fabricating endblocks to hold the spars to add order and rigidity to the bundle when packed and packing.

I can't argue with you there. Stacks have always been an attraction to me. Now I can say with confidence, "I built it myself."

It may end up being kept as an assembled completed stack like my Boleros.  For now this is my start point. I'll adjust as needed for space or convenience.