KiteLife Forum

Welcome JaseRicco

Hello @JaseRicco,

Welcome to KiteLife®!

Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Need to tweak settings?

Edit your profile here - View Member
Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/

Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for...

Member Chat
Member Map
KL Shop

And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life! ;)

Thanks for the welcome...much appreciated. I am certainly new to the Kite World. I live at the Jersey shore, and love the beach. If I could beach bum it I would, but for now I'll settle on getting to the beach anytime I can to relax, board surf, and most recently, fly a kite.

Quick story of how I was introduced to the world of Stunt/Sport Kiting…figure kite enthusiasts might enjoy to know how people from all walks of life get involved;

About a month ago I was vacationing in OBX…Hatteras to be exactly. My Girlfriend and I drove down, and were meeting a few other couples for a much needed Friend getaway. On the way down as we neared our destination, one of the individuals wrote in the group text that we had going, that he would CERTAINLY be stopping at Kitty Hawk Kites for a kite. I had no idea what in the world Kitty Hawk was, why it was a must to stop there, and thought to myself, “how corny, they’re just kites”. Think I may have even said this out loud to my Girlfriend. After arriving at the house and settling in, I got a glimpse of this kite and secondly I thought to myself, “there is absolutely no way I would ever spend that kind of money on something as mundane as a kite”. That is until both of my buddies flew their Stunt Kites on an evening outing to the beach. One had the recently purchased Framed Stunt Kite, and another had a Foil Kite. They both allowed me to fly, AND I WAS HOOKED. I went out the very next morning and purchased my first Kite. Needless to say I did not choose wisely. I chose solely based on price, and purchased the cheapest one that I could…$40. It gave me a lot of pleasure the reaming few days on vacation, but after getting home, disappointment sat in. The kite just didn’t live up to my, now, high kite standards. And realizing that this was a hobby that I wanted to get into, I started yet another exhaustive amount of research on different types of Stunt Kites, their manufactures, and what sets them all apart. I say exhausting, because anytime I take on a new hobby, or want to learn about something new, I delve in, and pride myself on the research that I do. And after only a short amount of time, for me Prism was the clear choice for so many reasons…from longevity in the business to design, expertise, and something as simple as website ease of use…Prism has it all over the competition...IMO of course. So, just two weeks after the purchase of my first kite, and just a week and a half after getting back from vacation, I upgraded to my first ever Prism Stunt Kite, the Prism Nexus. So how involved in this new hobby am I?? I fly every chance I can, I am constantly looking at weather apps for wind factors, have nerded out with the owner of CobraKites(the Specialty Kite Shop here at the Jersey Shore I purchased the Nexus from) about kites for hours, and I have purchased accessories like LED light tails and Nylon tails lol. I even attend our local kite night every Wednesday to gaze at all of the different kites and enjoy how they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Needless to say, I have come so far from my original thought about kites and their cost. $40 seems like nothing now haha. Crazy…funny how things work when we expand our horizon and learn new things. And BTW, I just received yet another kite a few days ago for my Birthday...Prism 25 Year Anniversary Special Edition Quantum in throwback Radian Colorway. Kite is a beauty...see pics.

So now, just getting the kite in the air is no longer enough. I want to learn all I can, and would like to start getting into doing some tricks. So I have so many questions about different things. Ill have to search the forum in hopes of some answers.

Thanks again for the Welcome

• Like 3

Thanks for the welcome!! Good bit of advice there as this new kite hobby of mine has proven to be as frustrating as it is Zen like. So much information to learn and keep strait. Hence my sign up at this forum lol. Thanks Again!! 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, JaseRicco said:

Thanks for the welcome!! Good bit of advice there as this new kite hobby of mine has proven to be as frustrating as it is Zen like. So much information to learn and keep strait. Hence my sign up at this forum lol. Thanks Again!! 

It becomes easier each time you fly, and all the little things that annoy you now will be forgotten. You will be amazed at what you can do a year from now. You will actually wonder how you managed to have any problems. Hang in there, it gets better quickly. You will develop a familiarity with the wind that will make it your ally.

There are three stages of kiting:   1. The kite flies you

2. You fly the kite.

3. You and the kite fly as one.   

Number 3 is where it will become Zen.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, makatakam said:

There are three stages of kiting:   1. The kite flies you

2. You fly the kite.

3. You and the kite fly as one.   

I like that. Think I'm hovering somewhere between 1 & 2 right now. Thanks again for the advice.

• Like 1