KiteLife Forum

REV. lights

windwarrior

I remember back around the mid 2000's I was flying my Rev. with a guy in Seattle and he had some really cool small lights that held those flat coin batteries and he had a set of 5 I believe. They would mount via a small elastic rubber band cord on all four points and the fifth one sat top dead center. 

I had the website bookmarked on my desktop but since then my desktop decided to loose everything on it including 5yrs worth of photos. 

I've seen some really cheap ones on amazon that are pretty much disposable and I'm pretty sure have a 6mth shelf life. They kinda look like a button. The one's I'm talking about above look more like the old dome lights for older cars.

Ring a bell?

They clip arounfd the spars pretty well and a small rubber band will keep them from sliding up and down the spar..

There are also these. https://smile.amazon.com/Etekcity-Finger-Lights-Supplies-Assorted/dp/B00D62VF1W

Despite their noted 6 month shelf life, I have boxes a few years old still going strong.. and they are basically disposable at that price..

They have a built in rubber band.. just put it on the spar the same way you'd put it on your finger.. They backlight a lighter colored sail VERY nicely.. I've used them MANY MANY times. You do lose some some times, they occasionally will pop off.. no big deal..As long as they stay lit they are easy to find.. I usually give the ones I use in a session to any kids that are spectators..

LED Lights have almost no heat and do not get warm to the touch at all..

The newer fingerlights aren't made to make the batteries replaceable.. You just toss them. they seem to be cheaper than the batteries would be anyway.. I extract the LED from ones that die.. I use the salvaged LEDs for other projects..

The Nite Ize Moonlits use CR2032 batteries though. and are able to be changed out.

I found the lights I was talking about. It looks like windpowersports had them but the link is no good so not sure if they can still get them.

I just wonder if the finger lights are brighter. I'm certain the battery life on these is much longer but how long can one fly at night? LOL. I know THAT answer. :P

post-1725-1225128908.jpg

post-1725-1225128926.jpg

You can see in my profile photo that I've done this with button battery lights attached to my Eliot Shook sissy sticks. I was able to rubber band the lights to the sissy stick and projects onto the sail. You can also attach them to the upright spars.

I bought button lights with a small switch at $.50/ea and got an assortment. I also bought the RBG ones that switch colors. I live by a small airport so I have to be careful of UFO sightings.

On 7/31/2017 at 8:18 AM, Tmadz said:

You can see in my profile photo that I've done this with button battery lights attached to my Eliot Shook sissy sticks. I was able to rubber band the lights to the sissy stick and projects onto the sail. You can also attach them to the upright spars.

I bought button lights with a small switch at $.50/ea and got an assortment. I also bought the RBG ones that switch colors. I live by a small airport so I have to be careful of UFO sightings.

Any links to this stuff or better yet, a close up of the set up on the kite itself? 

On 7/29/2017 at 9:30 PM, windwarrior said:

I found the lights I was talking about. It looks like windpowersports had them but the link is no good so not sure if they can still get them.

I just wonder if the finger lights are brighter. I'm certain the battery life on these is much longer but how long can one fly at night? LOL. I know THAT answer. :P

post-1725-1225128908.jpg

post-1725-1225128926.jpg

Anybody know where to get these?

On 7/29/2017 at 7:33 PM, riffclown said:

So far, you're the only one that has given me a good visual with the video. Heck, I would've been ok with pictures of it at night so I can see how lit up the kite gets with whatever lights you're using. 

Thanks for that!

Maybe more will share similar. 

10 hours ago, Paul LaMasters said:

I have good success with this firm... https://www.100candles.com/submersible_led_lights.htm

I have the ones with a remote controller, LEds are rubber banded to the top of the magic sticks and backlight the kite

You have pics of them set up on the kite by chance? 

In all honesty, the video doesn't do the lights justice. I have video also of @esinger with a blue and a green on the tips of his dual kite. doesn't show up well in the video but was mesmerizing to watch in the dark as he put it through the paces..

@ACrop was using some of the fingerlights and clipped onto the vertical spars, they let up her kite pretty well.

@Khal has color changing lights that look very cool as well BUT the colors just don't seem to show up on the recordings..

For the price, the fingerlights are nearly impossible to top. They are disposable and for tinkerers like me, you can rescue the LEDs from the dead one to do other very cool stuff.

BTW, When flying larger foils you can do some other pretty cool things with Automotive LED strips.

These are a different type of light before I discovered the fingerlights but wanted to share..

8 minutes ago, riffclown said:

In all honesty, the video doesn't do the lights justice. I have video also of @esinger with a blue and a green on the tips of his dual kite. doesn't show up well in the video but was mesmerizing to watch in the dark as he put it through the paces..

@ACrop was using some of the fingerlights and clipped onto the vertical spars, they let up her kite pretty well.

@Khal has color changing lights that look very cool as well BUT the colors just don't seem to show up on the recordings..

For the price, the fingerlights are nearly impossible to top. They are disposable and for tinkerers like me, you can rescue the LEDs from the dead one to do other very cool stuff.

BTW, When flying larger foils you can do some other pretty cool things with Automotive LED strips.

These are a different type of light before I discovered the fingerlights but wanted to share..

That looked pretty cool. I wonder how many ufo calls are made because of those? LOL!

On 8/3/2017 at 7:07 AM, Paul LaMasters said:

I have good success with this firm... https://www.100candles.com/submersible_led_lights.htm

I have the ones with a remote controller, LEds are rubber banded to the top of the magic sticks and backlight the kite

Thanks Paul. That's where I got mine. Sorry I got busy and couldn't post a picture of my setup. I just have the regular RGB floral lights and they have individual colors too. I took a moment and wrapped each light with a thin strip of electrical tape to keep the case closed. The plastic cases sometimes fall apart with abuse. Other than that, I've had phenomenal luck with them.

I don't know about UFO sightings, but I have had a few young people walking by compliment me on my kite. I suspect several of them may have been under the influence of something which may add to the effect.

Supposed to have unusually good conditions for night flying tonight. Hopefully, I can get a video without a helper.