KiteLife Forum

Specter or Stratus for Low Winds??

JaseRicco

6 hours ago, szobelda said:

My first stunt was an HQ Stratus....

What is your flying style and what are your preferences?

I think I am too new to understand or know what my style and preferences are. Not sure how to answer that yet, still trying to figure it all out. At this point I'm just looking for a kite that will fly in 2-7mph winds when my Quantum will not. Not expecting the low wind kite to be a zero wind kite, and not expecting it to allow me to do a ton, just keep the fun going...if that makes sense. This way I don't have to pack up and go home lol. I have a few in mind, just didn't know if they would fit what I am looking for, or do what I want. Hence the other post I have as well regarding the Zephyr and Kymera. 

Edited by JaseRicco

If you're looking for a low wind trickster you have plenty to choose from. You can get a Lam custom made to an HQ Shadow. The Zephyr can be hit or miss. Depends on the operator knowing how to coax flight out of the kite. Also depends on what you're willing to spend. 

The Kite Shoppe (Kitelife forum supporter) has options. 

13 minutes ago, Tmadz said:

Depends on the operator knowing how to coax flight out of the kite. Also depends on what you're willing to spend. 

I'm just looking for a kite that will fly in 2-7mph winds when my Quantum will not. Not expecting the low wind kite to be a zero wind kite, because I don't want to have to coax too much, and not expecting it to allow me to do a ton, just keep the fun going...if that makes sense. This way I don't have to pack up and go home lol. And of course, it always comes down to the money. At this point, with my skill level and experience, I'm looking to stay under $150. Someday, when I am more confident, a custom made might just be in the cards :D

Found some info on the Spectre Low Wind Stunt Kite by Into The Wind:

The Spectre from Into the Wind is a light wind kite  that has been designed with just enough mass to do tricks that other light wind kites can't: pancakes, rollups, backspins, and more. It's a responsive kite with a fairly wide wind range for a light wind 2-Liner. Very predictable flight, with an easy, linear response to pull. Ready to Fly with 80ft x 100lbs Dyneema lines, straps and winder in a robust Carry-Case.

Wing Span – 85”

Wind Range – 2–12 MPH

Frame – 4mm + 6mm Pultruded Carbon

Lower Spreader – Wrapped Tapered Carbon

Sail - .05 oz Ripstop Polyester

Lines – 80’ X 100 lbs Dyneema

Thoughts??

Throw stated wind ranges out the window! It takes work to fly down in those very light winds, skills too! Kites don't fly themselves in light wind! It takes getting out on days most will sit and look, wishing for more wind. 

Equipment alone will not solve every issue. Yes it helps to have good equipment too. But the skills to use it - priceless!

Disclaimer: never have flown either of those you have mentioned, so no opinion on their ability to do what you want - sorry.

• Like 1

Add 3mph to the lower stated wind range of any kite until you have at least 150 hours of experience. The manufacturer generally states the capability of the kite, not the pilot. In JB's hands that puppy will fly in zero wind, with a boatload of work on his part. If the pilot is in a wheelchair, he'll need at least 6 or 7mph to fly with no issues. You and I fall somewhere in between.

• Like 2

@Wayne Dowler @makatakam I def. understand that specs are all about best and worst case scenarios. It's like anything else...even Fuel Economy as an example. Purchase a vehicle and the specs will tell you that you can get 40mpg. What they don't tell you is that the car better be in tip top shape, the road conditions better be optimal, the weather better be stellar and the driver better be consistent. You have to take ALL information with a grain of salt I always say. That's why I have tried to get across in my various posts regarding low wind kites, that I am not expecting the kite I purchase for low wind conditions to zip around in Zero wind without having to do a lot to make that happen. I don't even want it to fly great in one, two, or three mph winds. What I am simply looking for is a kite that will fly easier on those days that the Quantum struggles a bit to stay aloft. On those days when you adjust the bridle for lower winds, throw lighter lines on, and the Quantum still just sort of flutters out.

For example, at our local kite night last Wednesday, we had lighter winds in the beginning. But because my Quantum is so new, and I jump at every chance to fly that I can, I decided to give it a go. I can't be for sure what the winds actually were, but they were steady out of the E coming right off the ocean, just a bit too light. I adjusted the bridle but the Quantum still just kind of stalled out floating to the ground each time. Now if I felt like it, I probably could have ran around like a lunatic finagling this thing to stay in the air, but that's just not the kind of flying I enjoy at this point. So I can't help but think that I would have been able to pack up the Quantum at that point, break out the Zephyr, and had a good time flying, instead of getting frustrated and having to wait 2hrs for the wind to pick up. This is what I am looking for. This is what started my hunt for a good low wind kite.

On a side note, looking at the information I posted here about the Spectre, what are your thoughts regarding the Spectre vs. the Zephyr, though I think I already know the answers :D

5 hours ago, JaseRicco said:

Now if I felt like it, I probably could have ran around like a lunatic finagling this thing to stay in the air, but that's just not the kind of flying I enjoy at this point.

I feel ya. I do enjoy not having to run around to keep a kite in the air. The big drawback is that it will cost you money. You'll have to have a collection of kites to match the winds nature blows your way, if you want to fly.  

The kites that usually make the trip to the field are:

Nexus or Osprey with tail. I'll go to these if the wind really picks up. Or someone new to kiting wants to try.

Widow NG. This replaced the Quantum as my 6-15 MPH kite. I like it much more than the Quantum. I can fly it in lower wind than the Quantum. 

Sky Dog UL. For when the wind is getting too low to fly the Widow NG without some work.

Shadow. For when the other three won't fly. 

Beer. For when the Shadow won't fly.

What you need to do is get a kite that fits your flying style in given wind conditions. Myself, I like to fly around, maybe do some shapes, do a back flip and an axle or two, and crash a bit... err, I mean work on ground recovery. The kites I bring fit what I want to do- precision, tricks(even a specific trick), make noise or a combination. In other words don't buy a kite specifically made to do tricks, if all you want to do is fly around and make noise.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kansas Flier said:

In other words don't buy a kite specifically made to do tricks, if all you want to do is fly around and make noise.  

This is exactly why I stated in my other post, "Zephyr good for low wind kite??", that I am hestitant in purchasing the Zephyr given that it may be too advanced, sophisticated, techy...basically too much kite for me. If all I am looking for is a kite that I can fly when the Quantum does not, then I am not sure I need to make such a huge leap to the Zephyr. The other side of course is that this is a hobby that I am very interested in. And with that interest I will progress in my ability, and hopefully that means having evough skill and know how when it comes to tricking. So why not have a kite that I can use solely as a low wind kite for now, but grow into later. Plus I found such a great deal on a Zephyr, its hard to pass up. SO MUCH TO THINK ABOUT. But what a great problem to have :D. This is the other part of a hobby that I love...the research, talking to the experts and gathering the info and opinions. Fun Fun Fun

• Like 1

One word of wisdom that few ever truly follow but I'd be remiss if I didn't at least try..

FLY more than you buy... Learn each new kite and what it will do in your hands before getting the next one..

It will enable you to guide your own choices much better than any of us can.. I can give you my opinion on what's best all day long. it also might be the totally wrong answer for you and your flying style.. Just because the "expert" flies something specific doesn't mean it's the the best or only game in town. Become your own expert and you'll quickly see what I mean. AND most importantly, follow this advice and you'll spend a lot less money on this wonderful hobby of ours.. Anyone that disagrees with me probably has a kite for sale..

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, riffclown said:

FLY more than you buy... Learn each new kite and what it will do in your hands before getting the next one.

Just because the "expert" flies something specific doesn't mean it's the the best or only game in town. Become your own expert and you'll quickly see what I mean. AND most importantly, follow this advice and you'll spend a lot less money on this wonderful hobby of ours.. Anyone that disagrees with me probably has a kite for sale..

Great advice