KiteLife Forum

Tube Tails & Stunt Kite Air Brakes

JaseRicco

First I am curious if anyone has experience using a “Stunt Kite Air Brakes”? They have them down at my local kite shop, not expensive at all, about $10. I posted a pic for those unfamiliar with what I am talking about. Apparently they are used for those blustery days when flying is almost out of the question for most of the moderate wind stunt kites.

My next question is regarding tube tails. Other than the obvious use, memorizing sky show, can you use a tube tail to absorb and bleed some of the wind for those higher wind days that may be a bit too much for your all around kite?

I am trying to come up with options until I can get that designated higher wind kite. And it could be that a Kite Air Brake or Tube Tail might be the answer…for now.

Stunt Kite Air Break.jpg

Had the brake on my old Jam Session - didn't use it much, as I would often just switch to a different kite.

The bigger question is how will your frame hold up in those higher winds? No matter what you put on, if the frame starts distorting .......

• Thanks 1

On 8/2/2017 at 0:35 PM, Wayne Dowler said:

The bigger question is how will your frame hold up in those higher winds? No matter what you put on, if the frame starts distorting .......

That's a fair question. Might be expecting too much from a tail or air brake. Certainly don't want to ruin my kite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wayne Dowler said:

My Jam Session was built like a tank

This is what I will be looking for at some point in the future...after I find my low wind kite. Something like the HQ Fazer, and I especially like that New HQ Whizz...that is one stealthy looking kite. They both look like they can handle a lot.

There are 2 types of brakes. One goes on your lines to slow the kite down by creating drag. The other goes on the kite to reduce the pressure developed in the sail.

My 7vtd came with the second type and I have had to use them. Very effective.

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A110 using KiteLife mobile app

• Thanks 1

You can also add weight to the kite to slow it down.  The Prism Quantum Pro has an optional weight set with one very heavy weight for that purpose.  Again, as mentioned, you still have to be concerned about frame strength.  Lighter kites like the Zephyr will snap a lower spreader.   (How would I know this?)  But with any dualie once you see the leading edge distorting or the kite shudders you are at the limit.  Some kites actually surge across the window in little squirts as they shudder.  What you really need is probably a smaller tough kite, a speed kite like the Whizz or ultimately a vented kite.  The vented kites are designed for higher winds & may be capable of handling 30+ mph winds.  Of course you are into more expensive kites with the extra labor & better materials needed.  Here is an image of my best vented kite.  It is a Tekken DOA extra vent custom by Sky Sport Design.  Lam Hoac currently offers a full vent custom built for you at $600.   Welcome to the world of exotic boutique kites.  SHBKF

The vents may be hard to discern in this image.  Painful to acquire, lovely to own.

large.gallery_7709_404_2754803.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, SHBKF said:

Lam Hoac currently offers a full vent custom built for you at $600.   Welcome to the world of exotic boutique kites.  SHBKF

Think I'll stick with the mass produced kites for now. Fazer is $150 lol You got an awesome kite though

Edited by JaseRicco
  • Like 2

Can you point me in the direction of where to get this type? Haven't seen anywhere.

FB_IMG_1501816340406.thumb.jpg.6c670d10d243dc769d74ca4b9b19d114.jpg

This is the brakes that came with my Seven. I'm sure The Kite Shoppe have this type.

Sent from my ZTE BLADE A110 using KiteLife mobile app

http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/categories/Accessories/Wind-Screens-for-Kites/

This is a link to the R-Sky brakes Theresa has.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JaseRicco said:

I haven't seen this anywhere else. I wonder if R Sky is the only one that procures this type of brake. 

I know SKD (sportkitedesign) do them for their Seven range. I think there are some from HQ too but not sure. There isn't the demand for them as a general dual accessory. They are more manufacturer specific. 

The ones for my Sevens can be fitted a few different ways depending on the desired effect. For retaining pitch and so forth. 

I think Airdynamics have them for their T5's too. 

• Thanks 1

Some pics. 

The R-Sky brakes. 

The kite has the brakes used to create drag to slow the speed of the kite. They can also be put in front of the sail to diffuse the wind, along the lower spreader. They can also be put 90 degrees to the lower spreader to retail pitch but diffuses the pressure from going centre to the tips, along the standoffs. 

IMG_9732.JPG

IMG_9733.JPG

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 11:15 PM, SparkieRob said:

I'm sure The Kite Shoppe have this type.

This is a link to the R-Sky brakes Theresa has -

http://www.thekiteshoppe.com/categories/Accessories/Wind-Screens-for-Kites/

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:00 AM, SparkieRob said:

Some pics. 

The R-Sky brakes. 

The kite has the brakes used to create drag to slow the speed of the kite. They can also be put in front of the sail to diffuse the wind, along the lower spreader. They can also be put 90 degrees to the lower spreader to retail pitch but diffuses the pressure from going centre to the tips, along the standoffs. 

IMG_9732.JPG

IMG_9733.JPG

My local kite shop does not have this. And as far as I can tell, the link you posted here is to one of the few places that seems to carry this type of brake. Thanks for the info, Ill reach out and order from TheKiteShoppe.com

On 8/9/2017 at 6:52 AM, SparkieRob said:

IMG_6449.JPG

Here I put the brakes on my Seven Vtd to diffuse the wind into the sail to reduce the pressure developed.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

I stoped by my local shop today to see what they had in the way of Kite/Air Brakes, and they had two kinds. The one that I pictured originally, and one that was similar to the one you have posted here. The package stated that the brake was for a particular kite make and model, and the owner sated that the brake fits on kites of particular sizes...I wonder if the one you posted here is he same, one that would only fit on certain kites?

Those brakes are made for the Sevens, and the Mohawk range too I think, but the top loop at the pointy end is a bit elastic so it does stretch.

They are a bit pricey as a single item being a boutique kite maker in Sweden. I'm sure a kite maker could knock you up a set for a reasonable price if you give them the dimensions.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Thanks 1

I Think that the conclusion I have come to here is that instead of purchasing a fix for my all around kite, I need to purchase a kite made for higher winds like the HQ Fazer, or even a vented kite like the Silver Fox Vented...so darn, I need another kite :P

• Like 4