KiteLife Forum

Quad Time 101

riffclown

First WELCOME to the dark side of kiting.
"What 4 line kite should I buy?"

The answer you get from most of the experienced quad line kiters here will be NONE.. BEFORE you lay out your cash for the latest Gimmick or "Classic" or homebuilt or boutique quad-line, find someone that's flying quads already and have a one on one conversation with them. You'll most likely be introduced to the apex of quad line kites.. the OPK.. It stands quite literally for Other People's Kites. You see, the 4 line folks aren't, for the most part, the elitists that many make them out to be.. We are really quite a sharing bunch. Find us on the field and we'll likely hand you our handles and and walk you through an initial intro to why we chose to fly brakes on a wing..

There are several approaches to 4 line fliers..

1. Hobbyist
2. Enthusiast
3. Collector
4. OKP or Obsessive Kite Personality (also known as all of the above.)

1. Hobbyist -- This is where we all start, it's also where you think you'll stay. This is the transition period between the OPK session and the inevitable question, what do I want as my SECOND 4 line.. Like so many other things in the kiting world, there is no one perfect kite that will do it all. And there also isn't one kite or even opinion that covers it all. Again, like so many things in our hobby, the equipment choices are quite personal and there's no one right answer.. Fly OPK until you know what you want..

2. Enthusiast -- Those that have made it to this point have purchased a few of the Rev's, Freileins, Pheonixes etc. and have what we call a small quiver of kites and supporting accessories (Lines, Handles Frames etc.) to cover most wind ranges.. You may have a Mesh or Shook Kite for those higher winds and a SUL or even a Zen type of kite to cover the low wind.. you may have even picked up an indoor and found other aspects of the sport.

3.Collector -- If you have a stack or more than one kite tha covers a wind range, congratulations, you've become the collector. You now have brakes on your kites but have lost track of any braking action on your wallet. Relax, you were likely headed here anyway.. it's almost inevitable.

4. OKP -- I'll keep this one simple.. "Welcome to my world.." or "My name is <name> and I'm a kite addict.."

Bottom line is the best way to choose a 4 line kite is absolutely try before you buy.. What's perfect for one person may not be right for you and vice versa. Try before you buy; you'll be reaching for the wallet soon enough..

Here's a thread I started some time back on 4 line ... your choices

http://www.kitelife.com/forum/topic/7389-4-lines-your-choices/

It really goes deeper into the abbreviated list of quad above. Each quad has its own strengths and weaknesses. Choose wisely..

• Like 6

I can admit to be a collector, but I am NOT addicted to kites.  Okay I will buy clothing and electronics, heck even vehicles & luggage based solely on my kites and their specific sizing or transportation needs.  

What good is a pair pants that don't work for kiting?  Sure I have nice stuff for my NIH job, but when it gets worn sufficiently it becomes a kiting garment.  So lots of pockets, velcro, buttons, fasteners, compartments, loops, not too thick a material, in case I need an outer layer of Gortex in the winter, not too long or I'll step on and fray the bottoms, not to dark of a color or it will absorb sunlight and be hot in the summer, not too light of color or it will show all the grass stains, pollen and mud or dust.  Adjustable waist, belt loops worthy of equipment and tools on a man's belt.  I prefer a diamond crotch area instead of the normal jeans style pinch zone when squatting down.  Yes I have very specific expectations and favorite retailers who meet my needs http://www.orvis.com/p/14-pocket-expedition-poplin-pants/2J3L?item_code=2J3L1134&adv=127748&cm_mmc=plas-_-Men'sClothing-_-2J3L-_-127748&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyPn25YLP1QIVgyWBCh19LgjyEAQYASABEgLw7fD_BwE

after awhile you have so many kites you can't carry 'em all.  I have several masterpiece Revs that have been relinquished to alternative kite bags or the basement time-out corner.  That seems unfair, so I sell a few great kites and then regret it each time.  Still you can't fly em all and the ones that take too much set-up time (like a stack) just ride around in the trunk never being flown.  Some times you sell to acquire replacements or upgrade.  Like a b-series to the B-pro.  Or the B-pro to the Phoenix, a vented Rev to a Shook Mesh.  An SUL rev to a Zen.  An indoor Rev to an Ashworth

I am NOT addicted to kites.

I did buy a tow hitch installation on my van this past week, just so I can ride back and forth between the parking meters and our flying location, once a month (on bike instead of walking like all of my friends).

I am NOT addicted to kites.

• Like 4