KiteLife Forum

1.5 SLE + SUL - Train order?

Traveller

Hi2all,

I'm new to the site - but I've enjoyed & made use of the info I've found here so far ;)

I just picked up a 1.5 SUL for those mild summer days to come, but thought I might risk stacking the SUL to my SLE in the meantime! From my experience with Flexifoil Stackers, I know the first kite in the stack (the one attached directly to your lines) bears most of the burden.

So I thought it might be safe to fly a stacked SUL on top of a SLE as long as I remain in low-mid wind ranges.

Just thought I'd ask you all for you before trying it :D

P.S. [Edit] Maybe I'm one step ahead of myself.... Seven (7) train lines??? What the..., Is this true? Can anyone plz point me to any online documentation / tips on how to attach two (or more) Revs for a stack formation plz? Thx :)

Edited by Traveller

Hey Trav,

I would have never thought about stacking a 1.5 and SUL. I think I'd be careful with that. When I flew my two 1.5's stacked, the pull was pretty strong (and the wind wasn't). You're probably right, the rear kite would take less stress. But remember that the SUL should only be flown in 0-8 mph winds and the 1.5 SLE starts at 4, if my memory serves me correctly. That means that there's a pretty small wind window.

If you've flown the SUL at all yet, you'll notice that it's pretty fragile. Take care...

As far as 7 train lines, that's what I use. The points are:

1, 2 - outboard leading edge

3,4 - where the vertical spar meets the leading edge

5,6 - where the vertical spar meets the bottom of the kite

7 - in the middle of the leading edge

My particular train lines are made up of 3 pieces of spectra for each train line. Two shorter pieces that can be looped through each of the connection points (one for each kite). Then these two shorter pieces are larks headed to a longer piece that connects the two shorter ones. Make sense? ;)

Loop thru O-----O LH *----------------------------* LH O-----O Loop thru (7 of these)

Later, Doug

Thx very much to all!

I spent the last three days flying the Revs @Cervia - unfortunately a few weeks too early for the Cervia Int'l Kite Festival (couldn't help it, my GF's daughter's due back @school during the festival).

CLT, you're perfectly correct with your concerns - the SUL is delicate to say the least! I was happy to have it though as day one started off with a 2-3Kmh breeze and the std 1.5 wouldn't stay airborn. I got the SUL up, but it was still though keeping it flying w/o having to do indoor-style manuvering(!) Still dunno if it's my [lack of] experience or if even the SUL needs a good 5Kmh to start dancin'....

Anyways, an hr or so later & the wind kicked up to about 10-12Kmh & the SUL had to come down as it started to make a lot of noise (which is never a good sign unless your'e flying a Hawaiian or stack of rainbows :) ) - so no, I wasn't too keen on stacking the two in fear of killing my new 250Euro SUL ;)

A shame, though - what a perfect setup it would make: between the SUL & 1.5 you can fly in pretty much all types of wind conditions & to be able to stack 'em would just add to the pleasure! Can't really afford to buy an extra 1.5 just for stacking (unless someone @this site can vouch for the extra pleasure per dollar!) - I mean, if it's traction I want, then I'll launch my three 6' "Stacker" Flexis & that will just about tear my arms off :D

Thx again for the tips on the lines - I may still risk it on a 3-5Kmh day. I know that on a low-wind day the flexies achieve better results stacked than on their own, so I guess that's ditto for the REVs too!

Greetz from the Old World,

Hi Traveller,

You've got the right idea, keep those SUL's safe from hi wind. :)

We had a fun fly yesterday and the wind gave me the opportunity to fly 3 rev's.

I didn't have SUL with me. I sent them to Jerry Fincher -Fincher's Aireforce, to paint on Thursday. So I had an indoor, on about 12 ft. a 1.5 standard on 90 ft. , and the Superblast up on about 75 ft.

The wind was here again gone again flyable wind, so I was travelling from one kite to the other. Wind die-indoor. Wind light- 1.5 and just a little stronger and the Super Blast was the kite of the moment. NOt enough to buggy, but enough to do ballet with.

Everyone there had a chance to fly all sorts of kites in "those" winds.

I had a few people try my kites, but only a select few try the indoor. Even small breezes make that kite bow and if a gust had come thru it would have been easily breakable. I want to avoid that.

Last week it was blowing in the high teens at the ocean. A pair of 1.5's was dragging me down the beach. I flew my 1.5 Rev, and blew the bottom tip out. To much wind, but I'm bad about flying my favorite kites outside. Now it's being repaired and refreshed even as I write.

:D I'm excited I gave Jerry a 1.5 to paint along the lines of a butterfly, along with a Rev II and said "surprise me". But it was hard to be at the fun fly without them. <_<

I knew someone who went by Traveller in the past. I'm going to go read your bio to see who you are. ;)

Thanks for the input.

BB

Penny

...I flew my 1.5 Rev, and blew the bottom tip out. ... I knew someone who went by Traveller in the past....

Ouch, sorry about your 1.5 ;)

Nope, I'm certainly not the "Traveller" you're thinking of & apart from the Miami Beach, Cervia & Vienna (AT) kite festivals, haven't really been to any other kite festivals.

But who knows, maybe someday I'll pop up in your corner of the world, because regardless of the reason behind my trips (business vs. pleasure), I always take the 1.5 along :)

Kewl, or you can borrow one if your in the area. ;)

Santigo in Colombia, S.A. was going on a similiar nik. but I saw your Miami Bio and knew you weren't him.

I don't seem to be getting all the colors darkened that tell me there's a new article or reply.. Pilot error, probably. I just read your reply for the first time today.

Chances are I started to look at it and had to stop to do something else.

John, I couldn't see the people in the pic, and took a guess. I hope your talking about Sue's cancer in the past tense! I hate to talk about something so personal here, but I hope my thinking is correct!

Keep looking up,

BB

Penny

• 6 years later...

Hi All,

Am planning on stacking 8 REV 1.5 SUL.

Is there any photo or drawings to show the actual stacking lines? I understand it is 5 points to connect the train.

Since the new SULs come with 3 wrap LE, I will be using these for the first 4 - 5 kites, will this be strong enough?

Appreciate any inputs.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,you will pretty much need 7 stack lines to join the kites.

Each end of the LE, top of both down spars, middle of LE and bottom of both down spars.

I am also pretty sure you will need better than a 3 wrap in the kite nearest to you in the stack, even in fairly light winds.

I have a small stack of 3 Rev 2's, pulls fairly well in even a 10 mph wind, you will be suprised at how much pull a stack will make.

Gat a fairly good bend in the LE on the first kite too.

If you are planning an 8 x 1.5 stack you should get plenty of fun out of it.

Patrick,

You might think about sending an e-mail to Kent Kingston at A Wind of Change in the USA. Kent is extremely knowledgeable on stacking kites and will happy to help you. Check out the Rev forum for threads on stacking lines. Johnnmitchell has posted some good pictures of how he does the stacking lines.

I fly a six stack of five foot Rev-like kites and they pull like crazy. My line set for those is 150#. I've flown Kent's eight stack of Rev I's and that stack put me on my posterior ... understand that I'm not a light weight!!

If you make your own stacking lines, be sure to stretch the bridle line before you tie the lines. Bridle line creeps about 2 to 3% when it's new. That doesn't sound like much, but remember that for eight kites you'll have about 35 feet between the first and last kite. That's about a foot of total creep. And Kent will advise you that a 1/4" here and there will throw off a stack's stability.

The first kite really catches the load on a stack ... 3-wraps are a little on the weak side for an eight stack.

Cheers,

Tom