KiteLife Forum

Welcome shirillz731

Hello @shirillz731,

Welcome to KiteLife®!

Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Need to tweak settings?

Edit your profile here - View Member
Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/

Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for...

Member Chat
Member Map
KL Shop

And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life! ;)

Hello. I'm looking for some advice, if anyone wants to PM me it would help a lot. I just have a Premier Osprey and I believe the aftermarket lines I bought for it may be too heavy/too long and are dampening performance. It's a pretty cheap kite to begin with, and we have almost no wind where I live so I would hate to make it need even more wind. 

Hi, shirillz731, and welcome to the forum.

The Premier Osprey is an entry-level dual line kite with a 5-foot wingspan and weighs almost 6.5 ounces because it has tubular fiberglass spars. This, and the ripstop nylon sail material make it quite heavy for its size. It comes with 80 to 85 feet of 100-lb test line, and the recommended wind range is 5-18 miles per hour. It will be easiest to fly for a beginner in the 7-15mph range. It is not designed for low-wind flying, but instead to survive the bumps and bruises that a novice will inflict upon it. It is not designed to fly the tricks common to dual line kites, so learning to trick with this kite will be very difficult, assuming you would want to. To be able to fly in very low wind you will need a different kite. A full size performance kites that you can fly in low wind and trick with will cost $150 and up because of all around better and therefore more expensive materials used. The Osprey is not designed to do anything other than just fly around doing just basic figures. No matter what you do it will just not be any fun in wind less that 5mph. Remember, the whole point in flying kites is to have fun. Using shorter lines will make it move faster, which you don't want when just starting out. I recommend lines of 100-lb test at a length of 50-60 feet once you can fly without crashing using the lines you have now, unless they are more than 150-lb test. Shoot for wind in the 8-12mph range until you feel you can control it fairly well.

Good luck in your endeavors. Have fun, smile and don't forget to breathe.

• 2 weeks later...