KiteLife Forum

Lam Hoac's New AC

rneiman3

Congrats on the new kite! I also received my AC from Lam recently but so far I've only managed to fly two days for a few hours total (the winds have been nearly non-existent this past week). From the little time I've spent flying it I can already tell the kite is a major improvement over the relatively cheap dual line stunt kites I've flown in the past; the AC is just so eager to perform (rather than having to constantly fight it) which makes it a joy to fly :). In my opinion it's worth it to buy one high-end kite that makes flying enjoyable the entire time rather than purchasing several low-end kites which will not be as enjoyable to fly and likely end up either sitting in storage or sold -- that is: as long as the person at least knows the basics of flying so they don't destroy their high-end kite the first time flying it :lol:.

One of the things which makes purchasing a kite from Lam worth it is that he goes out of his way to ensure the customer is not only satisfied but he'll answer any questions, give advice, teach new kite pilots in person, etc. even after the purchase is made. It's obvious that kite flying is a passion of his and he wants to share that passion with others - it's not just about maximizing profits. I'm hoping to be able to take a trip up to Canada soon since Lam offered to teach me some things and he also called me several times after the purchase to ensure that I knew how to properly setup the kite and that I didn't have any other questions. He also just seemed genuinely interested in discussing kites and kite flying in general.

I posted this photo in a different thread but here's my AC SUL and my ABS MC SUL:

IMG_8694.thumb.jpg.d8ff44a73d67b82b4605f4545fcf00bd.jpgIMG_8657.thumb.jpg.2481a863fac860231e0b5c5dbc2ac180.jpg

• Like 6

That’s nice! I’m jealous. I think Lam was one of the first flyer who showed the trick "coin toss". Did you know he won many competitions with the kite sewed by himself? Mid 90's, I had his kite DREAM. It flew agile but also had a great stability.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with one thing Lam told me. 110' lines aren't for me. I few twice on 50# 110' lines that I bought with the AC SUL and although I was able to fly it with those lines, I felt too disconnected with the kite in low winds. I tried 60' lines and they didn't give me enough wind window. I've settled with 85' lines now. They feel just right and give me enough wind window to have fun.

I also have to adjust my ham handed flying style with this kite. It responds a lot better with less input.

Sent from my XT1575 using KiteLife mobile app

I fly this kite on 65 - 100 depending on where I want to fly and wind. I won't mention my issues with it until Lam gets back to me (maybe he has some solutions) but here is a short clip I made my 3rd time out with it.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

I had a really great time flying my AC SUL yesterday.   The wind conditions were all over the place really ripping one minute and gone the next with direction changes.   When I bought my AC SUL, Lam suggested that I also buy a pair of stiffer lower spreaders for higher wind flying.   I put them in and was able to handle everything nature threw at it.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...