KiteLife Forum

Spectra sports solution

Ca Ike

I picked up a solution quad in a kite trade and don't know much about it. It was the prototype and all I got with it was a drawing showing the kites parts. I've had it together and tried to fly it with no success. I've tried rev handles and airbow handles but really have no idea how it's supposed to be set up as far as the bridle.

I've seen pics and vids but no real good detail. One pic seems to show the bridle on top of the frame. Anyone know anything about this kite and possibly have the original paperwork?

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

by what i see in this video

are 2 identical bridles on top and the bottom and seams to not be anything to complicated. look to be something comparable to single line bridle to balance each quarter of the sail. I may be wrong but this is what i see base on my experience of single line kites.

where are you located Ca Ike ?

it is a symmetrical quad. The top and bottom bow rods are linked at the center with a link line to keep them in place that's separate from the bridle. I'm in central Cali. Usually fly out at mistlin sports park in ripon.
As I recall, the Solution was designed by Charlie McClary (since passed away), a longime member of the San Diego Kite Club... Manufacturer was Spectra Sport.

That is who designed it Jon. I'll have to try and find someone in that club that might know more.

Sent from my iPad using KiteLife mobile app

in San Francisco area are some good quads flyers, try to meet with them and almost for sure they will figure out how to fly this kite.

Bering a quad  like some other models Rev handles will work well, equal lines to with proper leaders knots setup will work to but probably you do not have the necessary experience to troubleshot and solve the problem.   

you are saying "tried to fly it with no success". what actually happen? the kite do not rise and at each pull dragged lower caps to the ground? rise spin and fall? how many knots have the leaders on the handles (top and bottom) ? what lines you used ? wind speed ?  

with a bit more details about your try maybe somebody will give you a solution  and next time on the field you will have success 

in San Francisco area are some good quads flyers, try to meet with them and almost for sure they will figure out how to fly this kite.
Bering a quad  like some other models Rev handles will work well, equal lines to with proper leaders knots setup will work to but probably you do not have the necessary experience to troubleshot and solve the problem.   
you are saying "tried to fly it with no success". what actually happen? the kite do not rise and at each pull dragged lower caps to the ground? rise spin and fall? how many knots have the leaders on the handles (top and bottom) ? what lines you used ? wind speed ?  
with a bit more details about your try maybe somebody will give you a solution  and next time on the field you will have success 

Yea I know most of those rev flyers and fly with em once in a while. It's hard to say what's wrong. I did find some loose stops and fixed those. It's framed in Easton carbon AFC so it has a lot of flex. The top and bottom bridles are 3 point linking to the center and outer verticals. There is no vertical link line tying the tow points of the top and bottom like on a rev.

It does two things in flight I can't figure out that should be bridle related. First is it will try and collapse one side of the kite pulling the outer vertical to the center. Second is akin to the rev bow tie. I can't figure out if the bridle is supposed to go outside the frame to hel
P support the frame or not

bow tie is overcontrol means that line is to short,move the line couple knots outside and/ore be more gentle.

I think at the first thing the kite is making you want to say horizontals,the long "two flexed leading edges".I am right? if i am right look at the video from second 0.07 till 0.33. there are two important aspects:

1 - the two leading edges are not parallels, by flexing them there are upper and lower then the spar from that apparent T connector is 

2 - between the two flexed spars is a piece of line right on the middle , i am most then sure that piece is keeping the spars to do not go on OUTSIDE and is longer then the vertical spar what is having the T connectors. If that line is smaller then the vertical spar is normal the leading edge to move in the center and collapse.

bow tie is overcontrol means that line is to short,move the line couple knots outside and/ore be more gentle.
I think at the first thing the kite is making you want to say horizontals,the long "two flexed leading edges".I am right? if i am right look at the video from second 0.07 till 0.33. there are two important aspects:
1 - the two leading edges are not parallels, by flexing them there are upper and lower then the spar from that apparent T connector is 
2 - between the two flexed spars is a piece of line right on the middle , i am most then sure that piece is keeping the spars to do not go on OUTSIDE and is longer then the vertical spar what is having the T connectors. If that line is smaller then the vertical spar is normal the leading edge to move in the center and collapse.

No but you may be on to something. Being the prototype there are probably changes that went into the production model that I need to make. What happens when t tries to collapse is the LE bow rods bend up and down between the center t and outer verticals allowing the wing to fold. If only one bow rods bends I get a bow tie like effect.

If I go by the video close ups, it looks like the standoffs are 90* to the spine and le. Mine isn't so my center le tie line might be too long. It's a place to start.

• 10 months later...