KiteLife Forum

Maxi vented rev

tbressure

Hello, I am looking for an extra vented rev. I need to fly over 25 mph until 30 mph. For such a wind my full vented B-Serie pull to much so I am seeking a more vented kite.

I found the New York Minute with 3 vented panel. Can it fly in higher wind than a full vented B-serie ?

Another choice is to had some vented panel in regular vented B-serie. Such kite was known as maxi-vented. Will this be more flyable than a New York Minute ?

Ça you give me your advice ?

Thierry Bressure

27 minutes ago, tbressure said:

I found the New York Minute with 3 vented panel. Can it fly in higher wind than a full vented B-serie ?

Yes, it is between the B-series (full) vented and the B-Pro series extra vent. The regular B-series was not made in an extra vent.

27 minutes ago, tbressure said:

Another choice is to had some vented panel in regular vented B-serie. Such kite was known as maxi-vented. Will this be more flyable than a New York Minute ?

The simplest explanation is to look at total area of venting. The kite(s) with more vented area are made for higher wind. How high a wind will depend on your style and skill level.

• Like 1

Above a B Series Vented.

A second hand XTRA Vent, as no more are being made.

A Phoenix Pro Mega Vent, or

A PoloVTD.

I have a PoloVTD and have flown comfortably in those winds. Biggest was 80km/h (50miles) and still on the 3 wrap frame.

IMG_8636.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

Another great option would be a Mesh from Eliot Shook at Flying Smiles Kites. If interested in a Shook, shoot me a PM and I'll give you Eliot's contact info and email address..

19399776_1862175983796319_80453688137240

I have two Shooks a 40% and a 75%.. GREAT kites..It's a great design and there's a reason Eliot's work is called Masterpiece.

FWIW, I have a home made mesh that I fly over 25 all the time.

• Like 2

A "vicky" could be created out of an old sail,

you just need piece of glass and a hot cutter, a little patience and a straight edge.

or, got more patience yet?, you could back-cut it, folding-over shortish edge hem lines and finish it off with bonding tape (9460/3M)

oh, you're on of those kind of folks?  Okay, then sew a skinny stained glass key-lined effect around the parts you want to keep with Black ixy and then back-cut away the rest until all the remains a few inches around the parameter and enough guts (either string or super skinny "panels" of remaining fabric) to hold a shape.

Lazy?

take that old beater sail and hot cut circles with household items as the templates, open a whole bunch of holes all over the place, except where tubes are pulling tightly.  Adding in the venting material back is adding in excess weight, just to maintain the shape.  Think about where you make your cut-outs with strength in mind as an after-effect of your efforts.

Have you ever seen Art St.Pierre's trash bag vented revs?  He flies 'em from a lawn chair in a Rev 2 sized format!  That is a high wind and almost a disposable kite, (at some point in the huge winds even the lawn chair becomes a danger to the flier)  You could make one of those and enjoy yourself doing it.  In fact it might be a fun workshop project for the kite club!

• Like 1

Above a B Series Vented.

A second hand XTRA Vent, as no more are being made.

A Phoenix Pro Mega Vent, or

A PoloVTD.

I have a PoloVTD and have flown comfortably in those winds. Biggest was 80km/h (50miles) and still on the 3 wrap frame.

IMG_8636.thumb.JPG.84817c96d2b333343705868a412faa60.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

I've got a vented polo to the wind range is massive, I've flown it in 6-7mph all the way up to...I should of gone home

Sent from my SM-G903F using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

10 hours ago, happysuperbutton said:

:lol::lol:

That's just brilliant.

How does it fly?

It's not one of mine. I just grabbed the image as an example, but I have flown similar kites. Flies like a vented Rev, maybe just a touch smoother with a lighter feel until you get to really, really strong wind. Kind of like being slightly "disconnected" from the kite. Like flying a ghost kite. Hard to explain, but I think you get the idea.