KiteLife Forum

New Flyer, Second Kite

Arctic Cat ZRT

Good Evening,

To start off, about 4 years ago I was at the Jersey Shore and decided to buy a Sky Dogs Little Wing Stunt Kite. For the entire week vacation flying that kite was all I wanted to do. I then got home that summer and tried to fly around home and found I couldn't use it due to the low winds. Not researching to see the options./information I gave up. 

Fast forward to this past weekend. Again went to the Jersey Shore and took my kite, once again fell into love again. Granted this time I decided to see what to do once I was inland (SEPA-Quakertown, PA area) for a stunt kite. Average wind for the year is about 7-8 MPH, but often is fairly lower it feels, atleast when I want to/can fly. Plus if things get to windy I just fly my current Sky Dogs Kite. So I am looking to a little to no wind Ultra Light (don't mind working the kite to keep it up either, I need the exercise).

Started to look at ultra light stunt kites and found the Prism 4D. Thought I was set on it then I started finding some forums and can't help to see people steering away from them, plus my wind range may be too high anyway. They are considered small and fragile (after having the Little thing, I'd rather try something bigger). I then did some more research and pretty much came to the conclusion that I am looking at either a Silver Fox 2.5 UL or Aerobatx UL if I wanted to stay under 200. I really am interested in the Silver Fox UL but I want to make sure I am not choosing the wrong kite.

Looking for some advice. Also what does come with the Silver Fox 2.5 UL, I don't see anything specific? (i.e. carry bag, lines, etc.) Also if I do go with a bigger kite such as the silver fox what are the line recommendations for the bigger kites? (On the Prism 4D I saw 18', 32', and 50' are the general suggestions). Some people have also suggest a sky burner nik nak, I also saw the SKY BURNER, P.D.S.U.L. - ADVANCED, but both seem to be out of stock/backorder.

More Information:

1. Trying to stay under 200, max I am willing to go is 250. 

2. Looking for a bigger kite, right now my little wing is 60"

3. More specifically looking for low/no wind and the ability to do tricks as I progress in experience.

Thanks for the help!

Hi, Arctic Cat ZRT, and welcome to the forum.

It is easier to fly in low wind conditions if you have tons of experience (hundreds of hours), but don't let that disillusion you. It only gets easier with each time you fly in those conditions. Although I can fly a dual, I'm more of a quad-head and not much into tricking the duals, even though I own a few higher-end ones. I'm going to let the more experienced pilots here guide you in the selection of a kite for the conditions you described, which are pretty much the same winds that all of us inland flyers have to deal with. 

I have only chimed in on your query to make you aware that there is a chance that you will not "click" immediately with any kite you select, as some flyers are not comfortable flying a kite that another flyer may absolutely love. Once you start selecting kites for a specific purpose, it becomes very much a matter of personal preference. It is good sense to "try before you buy", if you can. If not, then trial and error is your only option, but don't let that scare you, as it is unlikely that you will absolutely hate the kite you choose.

Good luck in your venture. I look forward to sharing a field with you some day. Have fun, smile and don't forget to breathe.

• Like 2

Most all kites come with a sleeve, but anything else is optional. If you're looking for a "package, with lines and accessories", look for the letters RTF - ready to fly.

Haven't flown the Silver Fox, but I did a Pro Dancer this summer. Absolutely a great no/low wind kite. 

I think what you have to be careful of is that there is no "standard" to judge kites by. One maker can call their kite a UL, while that same kite might be another makers std, or SUL. And that is where you may or may not "click" with a particular sail. You might find that even though it says UL on the label, it might not be in your eyes. Also be aware that any stated wind ranges are pretty much BS. Can you fly in them? Maybe! Depends on skill level more than anything else. There are times when the kite is capable of doing more than you can! Learning to match line length and strength with kite and conditions, goes a long way in the equation. That and building your skill set.

Keep flying!

• Like 1

I rather enjoyed watching you fly my pro dancer . Wayne has an excellent point about UL Ultra Light and SUL Super Ultra Light wind ratings. I have one UL that is rated down to 2 and does well in 2 mph wind. While another brand SUL that I have says it's good down to 3 mph and takes foot work to keep it up in 3. It's important to realize that most kites will take some or a lot of foot work to keep them up at or close to the bottom of the wind ratings that the manufacturer suggests.

Sent from my IPhone

• Like 2

From my limited experience SULs are fragile and quite hard to trick without too much experience. Typically those are not the best kites to start with and learn new tricks. Slack is granted but generating enough momentum comes with a lot of practice ;)

I would go with a wide range UL/LW and after sometime start thinking about an SUL 

look at the swap markets - you can find excellent high-end ULs in your price range.

Daniel

I've flown the SF 2.5 Vented and can say it is a well put together kite. Good balance and visually pleasing. It's a big wing so the UL sail would catch a bit of wind.

Best way to find out what a kite comes with if the retailer doesn't specify is to send an email. That way you have it in writing to compare against other packages.

As a general rule, you can fly lower on shorter lines. I found if I had two of the same line sets, I would chop done one of them to make 3 in total. And 80 goes to 30 and 50 (there abouts) easy.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Haven't updated in a few days,

This past Friday a gentleman on another board messaged me with an offer on his SkyBurner Aura SUL kite. After some brief discussion with him and talking about shipping (seller is from Australia), I purchased it from him. I couldn't pass up the price. Should have it next week sometime. I'll post an update when I get my handes on it!

• Like 2

Haven't updated in a few days,
This past Friday a gentleman on another board messaged me with an offer on his SkyBurner Aura SUL kite. After some brief discussion with him and talking about shipping (seller is from Australia), I purchased it from him. I couldn't pass up the price. Should have it next week sometime. I'll post an update when I get my handes on it!

An Aussie to the rescue...
From personal experience, allow about 2 weeks for delivery.

3 hours ago, SparkieRob said:

An Aussie to the rescue...
From personal experience, allow about 2 weeks for delivery.

Gentleman that I bought it from said the postal service said 6-7 days. I'm giving them a wide berth... international shipping is pretty tricky and can be time consuming. Thanks for the heads up. 2 weeks is what I am expecting.