KiteLife Forum

Welcome Rob Friedman

John Barresi

Hello @Rob Friedman,

Welcome to KiteLife®!

Although this is an automated message, it is written with heart - I love kites deeply, and I believe the KiteLife community represents this passion with a very friendly and helpful environment for everyone. Please feel free to browse around and get to know the others. If you have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Need to tweak settings?

Edit your profile here - View Member
Edit your settings - http://kitelife.com/forum/settings/

Other than that, here are a few handy links that you might have a use for...

Member Chat
Member Map
KL Shop

And while it's never an obligation, we always love hearing about our new members if you'd like to share some of your kite stories, videos, and/or background... Tell us a little about YOUR kite life! ;)

Well hello all. Yea I'm Rob Friedman  up on Long Island. .and I'm just a,single line flier.  I'm up in Port Jefferson Station  but formally from the South Shore  where I  used to fly in Robert Moses St Park  on Fire Island,  and  flew a lot down in East Islip Marina where I  got to be know as Rob the Kite Guy.  I don't ho over 100# test, and I  use a short rod and conventional fishing reels.  I also use a bait ferry with an action cam yo fo aerial vids

nice to meet all

• Like 3

Good to see you here, Rob. I know you're trying to confuse everyone... yes there are two Robs from Port Jefferson. 'Rob the Kite Guy' puts my car kite stash to shame, it's like a rolling kite store !

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Flying in Riverhead... go behind Riverhead raceway, that's where I've flown. Reasonably open field, you just have to drive to the back lot... a little bit of off-roading, but nothing you need 4WD for !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

two things.  First.. I saw that post or ad by Mark and KiteLife..  I happen to really love "southern cross"by CSNY. ?
Second, I just made my first Tetrakite (ok  so I used to have  (actually have some now) kits from SYNESTRUCTICS   and always liked those.  So I came up with a Tetrakite design along those lines.   using bamboo skewers, and vinyl fuel tubing   it make the  kite expandable the same way the Synestructics kit was.  Of course I did the first one rather crudely as far as the sails.  but it did fly

That is an important feature for you, your car is just about full of kites ! My girls have a 18 cell tetrafoil hanging from their ceiling which has never seen the air. I am feeling the need to dust it off !

btw  I ended up making a 10 Cell dense pack Tetrakite.  Using Mylar giftwrap as the sail.  Btw,  it's the second attempt at Kitemaking.  about 12 years ago.. I went to a small kite contest from my (at the time) Mini Cooper (ok  so I like small cars) and only three of us showed.  Once person made a Cube Box Kite.. looked beautiful but didnt fly well', the other guy had some kind of a makeshift  (I don't remember.. either diamond or delta) that he hooked to a remote car which pulled it along. 
 I cheated.. I used a thicker Tyvek Fedex envelope ..opened.. taped two pole lengths into it  and cut out a Scott Sled... and of course.. mine flew.   hey it was really spur of the moment.. I made it right there in the parking lot at Bethpage State Park..  So  this is a bit more of a project

• Like 1

The 18 cell kite came from a kit, possibly a Smithsonian kite. I built it & hung it on the ceiling for the babies to look at. They're a bit bigger now, but the kite still hangs there...

BTW, you missed some epic 'lab-grade' winds today. I flew during lunch, and had to d-r-a-g myself off the beach to go back to the office ! 5-8mph out of the West at West Meadow beach !

• Like 3

Arrrg..., see what you have done:)! The above conversation made me look up "tetra kite" and now I'm thinking (and rethinking, again and again) how I'd like to implement one (and I'm not really into kite building and certainly not SLKs). Yet another thing to add to the todo list to be performed in some fuuuuuuture... On the other hand following the instructions in "My best kite (.com)", "Making Tetrahedral Kites" as an introductory project looks like a rather quick one...

• Like 2

well  since I am new here.. let's see if I can post images: not sure how they post here.. but you can see how I made the connectors from 3/32ID micro fuel line and zipties using 12"bamboo skewers.  The first version is a 4 cell using garbage bag plastic as the sails.  I was hoping to go to a 16 cell open version.. but I didn't have enough skewers..an all the rest I found was 10".  so I made a 10 cell Dense Tetrakite.  I looked for sail items.. then hit upon using giftwrap ..which is often mylar.. and went that route.  Earlier this week I brought it out but the wind was too strong and snap a few spars..  some redo's and voila.. all fixed and it flew today!   and the side images are from my wife Susan.. all this from a fishing reel and short rod. 

20171104_204039.jpg

20171104_204530.jpg

20171105_195457.jpg

20171105_195532.jpg

20171106_155043.jpg

20171107_002420.jpg

20171107_002437.jpg

20171107_003940.jpg

20171109_132216.jpg

20171109_132535.jpg

20171109_132714.jpg

20171101_213429.jpg

20171101_213443.jpg

20171101_213503.jpg

20171101_213708.jpg

20171101_214733.jpg

20171104_200648.jpg

FB_IMG_1510253479944.jpg

FB_IMG_1510253487648.jpg

FB_IMG_1510253458741.jpg

FB_IMG_1510253469537.jpg

• Like 3

the hard part of the 10 cell dense pack vs the 16 cell open.. is the 16 cell version only uses the 6 way connectors.  so it's all the same pieces.. Actually a 16 cell is just 4 4-cell kites all stuck together. The 10 Cell only adds the 3 layer (counting from the top of the tetrahedron) and some of those require a 9 way connector!!  That was one of the  bits to accomplish..again with zipties and micro fuel lines.  Oh  the other bit of it being collapsible is that all this fits into a Fiat 500 with the rear seat folded down.

Well.. i still need to work on the bridle  ..but it can slide up and down  (I made a prussic knot with an overhand and a loop.  Personally I  would have preferred carbon fiber, or fiberglass, and some proper connectors, as well as ripstop sewed sails.  Hey if any of your local driends have an unusual single line kite they want to donate.....  I'm up for it.