esinger

Skyburner WidowMaker Pro vs Premier Widow NG

I met up with Mike Klaiber today and we were able to compare his Widow NG (Purple)  to my WidowMaker Pro (Blue)

WMNG.jpg

WMPro.jpg

Edited by John Barresi
Edited by admin, Premier model is simply “Widow” (no “Maker” in the name). ;)
  • Like 1

The differences in height were almost the same,  the Pro was a little taller than the NG

WMs Height.jpg

Not much difference in the Top Spreader connector areas

WMs Top Spreader.jpg

Some differences in the lower spreader connector areas

WMNG Lower Spreader Connector.jpg

WMPro Lower Spreader Connector.jpg

Center Tee looks more re-enforced on the Pro

WMNG Center Tee.jpg

WMPro Center Tee.jpg

The Pro has Skyburner Black Diamond Nitro spreaders.   Didn't see a name on the NG spreaders

WMPro Lower Spreader.jpg

The NG lacks leech lines were as the Pro has them with a neat tensioning system.   The noise generated from the NG is noticeable in higher winds. 

WMNG Bottom Spine.jpg

WMPro Bottom Spine.jpg

The NG has an obvious weight on the spine end were the Pro doesn't

WMNG Spine Weight.jpg

WMPro Spine Weight.jpg

The bridles are very different between the two.   The Pro has a very modern bridle.   It a maybe a bit hard to see in the pictures due to the black lines on the Pro

WMNG Bridle.jpg

WMPro Bridle.jpg

My overall impression is the NG isn't a bad kite a all.   It doesn't take to lighter winds as well as the Pro does.   The Pro feels lighter in overall weight and generally more nibble in flight.   Mike's very happy with his NG as it suits his skill level at the moment.   It's price point is much lower than the Pro and to me seems to be a good kite for the money.   I'm very happy with my Pro.   It has a very solid feel with a surprising lower wind performance.   I also very much like it's more silent flight.

• Like 2

Great comparison! Pro feels and reacts like a nicer kite but NG allows me to learn while still crashing without cost variables. Like comparing top shelf to value brand but both were fun to fly! Thanks for the tips and time!

• Like 3

Glad we could finally get together Mike.   More than happy to prove the tips and hopefully you can get even more enjoyment out of your kites.

PS: The Anglers Park looked like it has more room to fly, we can try that next time.  I didn't notice any stink from the water treatment plant next to it.     

• Like 1

Wish I could've gotten in on the comparison session, as I've never flown either. I just have the original WMs, and I think they're some of the best kites I flown. I would love to try the variants...

• Like 1

Do you live close to us Rob? Mike and I just got together to fly some on Saturday and I made a mental note to compare to two kites. We really didn't fly the WidowMakers a lot. The winds were literally all over the place. I spent more time flying my Synergy Deca and Phoenix Ash and Mike was between his WidowMaker and Silver Fox 2.5. I was giving him pointers on bridle adjustments

Sent from my XT1575 using KiteLife mobile app

You know, 15-20 years ago, I was in Winston-Salem about once a month. Around that time, I changed the scope of my job & don't leave the NY area for work anymore. Sad, because I used to have a bunch of time on weekend layovers and would've loved to fly with some folks. Maybe I'll find you at a festival sometime, though.

• Like 2

Things don't look good for Steve Tapp, he's in Hospice now :-(

I believe I'm going to have to reevaluate my lines on my Pro. I've snapped my 100# lines twice

I only fly full sized kites on 100# in winds 5mph or less. I never use anything less than 100#, even in SUL conditions.

• Like 1

I have 50# line that I do fly SULs with and typically find 100# lines to be good for standards like the Pro until the winds get really going then out come the vented kites and 175# lines. The WM Pro seems to be throwing my judgement off and when I pop a line for a trick the line REALLY pops, as in breaks.

Sometimes I feel like seeing the effect of a bit unruly vicious line popping and at least in the last few years this has not been what has made my lines snap.:crazy: