KiteLife Forum

Difference between Widow NG, Widow NG Special and KHK Skyscraper

cjkramos

So i found a great deal on a Widow NG Special a while ago but then afterwards was wondering what exactly does that "Special" title entail? Also in my browsing I found a Premier/KHK Skyscraper that is the same design and specs but at a ridiculously lower price of $119.99 https://store.kittyhawk.com/products/skyscraper-stunt-kite-176336

Does anybody know the differences between these models?

Pictures attached

widowng.jpg

widowngspecial.jpg

khkskyscraper.jpg

• 2 months later...

This past summer I decided to get  a "beater" kite to use when introducing  new flyers to the fun. I wanted something relatively inexpensive and tough with parts readily available, but yet flew well and predictably in a pretty good range of wind. I've flown a Widow NG before and really liked it, I think it's a tremendous kite for the money. It was more than I wanted to put into this project though, I wanted to keep it around $120 or less if possible. I had high expectations for the KHK Skyscraper since it seems like a simple rebranding  of the Widow NG. I flew one that Kitty Hawk Kites had as demo model and was a bit disappointed. Now I don't know if the bridle settings were as stock or if someone had tweaked them, but I didn't particularly like how it felt. It felt sluggish and mushy and seemed to flex way more than I liked. I also wasn't sure how much of a beating it could take before a break. Not too big of a deal, but I wanted something that felt a bit more durable. I love my Widowmaker Pros and really liked the Widow NGs I've had a chance to fly and I recommend them often, but didn't feel good about the KHK Skyscraper, which surprised me. And don't really know why.

Just was my unqualified opinion, other opinions may vary.

Thanks for the replies. Considering the Widow NG is often recommended, and given the price difference with the khk skyscraper, it would be great to have a side by side comparison. If they are the same as suggested by the specs, khk would sell them easily, but apparently they don't as they have plenty in stock and not many people around here seem to own one. I'll call Premier to see if they can provide more info.

I found some more info. The KHK Skyscraper is a rebranded Widow NG Special with an extra tail. The Widow NG Special Edition as compared to the regular Widow NG has a sail with fewer panels/less stitching, non-removable or less adjustable weights, and lower grade/more stretchy spectra lines. The frame is supposedly identical. The difference in the lines may explain the mushyness reported by Tim P. above. It was built to meet a lower price point, and while the differences are small, there are some differences.

• Like 1

You sure could be right about the lines. Iv'e not used high grade lines such as Laser Pro yet. I usually fly my Pro Dancer on 90 # 100' lines that came with the Zephyr. Couple days ago flew for a bit on 50 # 50' and didn't care for the feel or distance to kite at all. This morning used 80' by 80 # and didn't care for that either. Seem to be gravitating towards longer sets. Really like my Widow on 150' x 100' when the winds plus 10 mph. That set came with a Prism Snapshot. Number of panels explains different feel also. How I can't really explain. Still to new at this. I would not want to replace my Widow ng with any variation because I do not think they'd be the same. Unless of course it's a Widow Maker Pro when that is again available.