KiteLife Forum

Need advise-buying new rev (classic or b series?)

zerolady

Hey!

I had the opportunity to test a rev "clone" and i loved it.

Now i want to buy my own but I'm not sure, which one could be the best choice.

I need to decide between the Reflex 1.5 Classic and the B Series Mid-Vented.

We always have some wind, but mostly low wind. (around 5 mp/h). Somedays of course more 12 to 18 mp/h).

Could the B Series be a kite for a beginner and low wind?

Thanks a lot!

Welcome and there's several good reads posted by others with the same question on the forums here, will definitely encourage you to dig and read a little as you move into your first Rev purchase.

My first quad/rev ever was a used-midvent B series. Like yourself, I was thinking of flying in winds above 10mph too. I decided I wouldn't fly in less than 10mph so the choice to go midvent worked for me.

After getting into the hobby with this first kite, I quickly realized I loved flying too much, and wanted to fly in lower winds. I ended up flying the midvent with covering up the vents with seran wrap to make it a full sail (or like a Classic 1.5, no vents). Later on (months later) I decided to buy a second kite, full sail, so I could stop having to put on/off seran wrap anymore. Hehe.

Hopefully this quick sharing of my story will help you with making a decision :)

Also, you enjoyed your test flight. So see whether that flight was with a vented or full sail so you start learning with the same experience you remember from the test flight.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, happysuperbutton said:

Welcome and there's several good reads posted by others with the same question on the forums here, will definitely encourage you to dig and read a little as you move into your first Rev purchase.

My first quad/rev ever was a used-midvent B series. Like yourself, I was thinking of flying in winds above 10mph too. I decided I wouldn't fly in less than 10mph so the choice to go midvent worked for me.

After getting into the hobby with this first kite, I quickly realized I loved flying too much, and wanted to fly in lower winds. I ended up flying the midvent with covering up the vents to make it a full sail (or like a Classic 1.5). Later on (months later) I decided to buy a second kite, full sail, so I don't need to use seran wrap anymore. Hehe.

Hopefully this quick sharing of my story will help you with making a decision :)

Thank you very much!

I'm searching and reading a lot in this forum :)

I already have some experience with kites..So..i know there is no kite for every wind  hehe ;)

So in the end- i will buy both, i see ;)

Mmh i guess i will start with the Reflex Classic then.

23 minutes ago, Paul LaMasters said:

sure, best approach to quick learning is to find someone already more experienced and steal their best stuffas they help you thru the basics 

There are no people around here to learn from :( 

But i hope with videos and a lot training i will learn more and more with my own one :)

So a bit of a history - there are no B-series being made anymore. Stopped in January of this year. Any you find, are from dealers still having stock of them, with very little color choices. They have used the "Classic" series to replace the "B" series, all the same models within the type - std, mid, full vent. Even kept the panel layout the same, just changed the logo. 

The Reflex is their newest offering. They came up with a tension system for the sail. Anytime you give slack, the springs take effect.

Most beginners are looking for a "one kite does it all". No such animal exists. I recommend a std and a full vent for starters. Std first, then add the f/v. My reason: wind too low to fly mid, what you gonna do - watch and wait? You'd be flying that std. Wind is strong - then the f/v can handle it easily. It is no fun sitting there with one kite and unable to fly in either extreme of wind. YMMV.  Be open to look on the used market, a good way to get both sails reasonably.

Can't agree more with Paul's advice - flying with another that already knows the "ropes" can get you much further down that path!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wayne Dowler said:

So a bit of a history - there are no B-series being made anymore. Stopped in January of this year. Any you find, are from dealers still having stock of them, with very little color choices. They have used the "Classic" series to replace the "B" series, all the same models within the type - std, mid, full vent. Even kept the panel layout the same, just changed the logo. 

The Reflex is their newest offering. They came up with a tension system for the sail. Anytime you give slack, the springs take effect.

Most beginners are looking for a "one kite does it all". No such animal exists. I recommend a std and a full vent for starters. Std first, then add the f/v. My reason: wind too low to fly mid, what you gonna do - watch and wait? You'd be flying that std. Wind is strong - then the f/v can handle it easily. It is no fun sitting there with one kite and unable to fly in either extreme of wind. YMMV.  Be open to look on the used market, a good way to get both sails reasonably.

Can't agree more with Paul's advice - flying with another that already knows the "ropes" can get you much further down that path!

Thank you! 

I just found another thread here with almost the same question than mine.

I think i will go with your advise.  For a lot wind i have some kites to have fun with, but almost nothing for low wind. So first i might buy the Reflex Classic (the color of the classic without reflex at my local dealer is SO not my style....:D).

Ist there anything to say/consider against the reflex stuff?

I didn't know the B series is stopped. But good to know-thanks! Is there a reason for that change? just curious...

I try to find someone here locally who has more experience to maybe learn. I know some persons, a bit far away but its not impossible to meet them. Maybe worth a trip :)

• Like 1

The "B" series was JB's ideas incorporated into the 1.5 size kites. He left the company and no longer endorses them, as a result - the "Classic".

PS: there is no Reflex Classic, there is a Reflex, or there is a "Classic", but not both in one. I do believe you can get the Reflex system on the "Classic"? Not sure on that, but maybe ....

1 hour ago, zerolady said:

Hey!

I had the opportunity to test a rev "clone" and i loved it.

Now i want to buy my own but I'm not sure, which one could be the best choice.

I need to decide between the Reflex 1.5 Classic and the B Series Mid-Vented.

We always have some wind, but mostly low wind. (around 5 mp/h). Somedays of course more 12 to 18 mp/h).

Could the B Series be a kite for a beginner and low wind?

Thanks a lot!

Why not buy the rev clone if you loved it? I have a few Bseries and a few OSK/Freilein Exodus kites and they feel really similar to this noob. 

I'd still suggest trying to find a B-series over the "classic" or Reflex lines. Learning without the springs will enable you to pick up just about any quad kite and fly.. Some people LOVE the springs. Some don't. I'm personallt in the latter category by a long shot. . I've flown both and I don't own a single kite with springs any more.. YMMV..

FWIW, The Freilein kite line has no quality problems.. IF you found a stitch out of place it will be the first I've heard of and I have 8..  If it was "damaged" then that is a risk all kites share..

2 minutes ago, riffclown said:

I'd still suggest trying to find a B-series over the "classic" or Reflex lines. Learning without the springs will enable you to pick up just about any quad kite and fly.. Some people LOVE the springs. Some don't. I'm personallt in the latter category by a long shot. . I've flown both and I don't own a single kite with springs any more.. YMMV..

FWIW, The Freilein kite line has no quality problems.. IF you found a stitch out of place it will be the first I've heard of and I have 8..  If it was "damaged" then that is a risk all kites share..

It wasn't a freilein kite ;)

I have no experience with springs, just without.

I'm not sure-  as a beginner, if i will recognize any difference between with and without springs.... And the local dealer only sells mid vented or classic reflex. And for now (i am sure it won't be the last one) i'd like to buy local.

• Like 1

One other thought...if buying new: the b series gives you two frames with each sail...and the reflex just one for similar price. Having the frames gives you backup pieces and allows you to think about buying sail only later...or sewing your own. Having options included extra is worth thinking on.

Acrop

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zerolady said:

It wasn't a freilein kite ;)

I have no experience with springs, just without.

I'm not sure-  as a beginner, if i will recognize any difference between with and without springs.... And the local dealer only sells mid vented or classic reflex. And for now (i am sure it won't be the last one) i'd like to buy local.

Things to note when I was looking at these 2 models recently

- Revolution has added reinforcement strips to the back of the 1.5 classics behind the verticals. (see pic) The set of B-series I got did not have this but can be added by JB as a service. 

- You will get 2 sets of vertical spars 1 set with springs and 1 set without with the 1.5Classic. I have heard you get 2 frames as well with the B-series but mine only came with 1. $299 for the B Series from the Kite Shoppe and $199 for the Classic from awindofchange.com

- You can get the 1.5 classic in standard, mid, and full vent 

1.5classicwearstrips.PNG

• Like 1

Sorry, should have said this before. I like to buy local and support local whenever possible...but is something this $$ it is important to drive the purchase with what is right for you...not by what is in stock. Pick what you think you should have and ask the shop to help you get it- give them a chance to source it for you... If they can't then look elsewhere. You can always buy your stake and lines and kite bags local....but get the sail you actually want to own.

Acrop

• Like 1

Sorry to muddy the waters...

Most full sails (non vented) will fly to 20mph. Dead centre of the window can be a worry but the outer edges are fine.
Get a sail you like looking at. Also ask if people have a second hand kite they want to part with. Revs will fly even if the sail is quite "worn".

Glad to hear you are getting into it. Keep seeking answers and advice. There will always be someone to help here.

In between Heaven and Earth, there are kites.

• Like 1

I recently started out with the Classic, you get both worlds with it, both the Reflex system and you can fly it without.

Truth being told, I can't feel much difference with or without the Reflex regarding the response from the kite.

What I like about the Reflex is that it flies much better and more stable at the edge of the window. It also have a little less tendency to bow tight when flying reverse, but it's just a question of learning to feel the kite.

I mostly fly on short lines. On 50 feet lines I really like the Reflex, as it gives me a noticeable larger and more controllable window. On my 30 feet lines I exclusive fly it without the reflex, because I like to mix in some catch and throw. As said, other then at the edges of the window, I don't fell much difference with or without the Reflex. That might be because of my inexperienced though.

Anyway, I really like my Classic :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, peterbruusmadsen said:

I recently started out with the Classic, you get both worlds with it, both the Reflex system and you can fly it without.

Truth being told, I can't feel much difference with or without the Reflex regarding the response from the kite.

What I like about the Reflex is that it flies much better and more stable at the edge of the window. It also have a little less tendency to bow tight when flying reverse, but it's just a question of learning to feel the kite.

I mostly fly on short lines. On 50 feet lines I really like the Reflex, as it gives me a noticeable larger and more controllable window. On my 30 feet lines I exclusive fly it without the reflex, because I like to mix in some catch and throw. As said, other then at the edges of the window, I don't fell much difference with or without the Reflex. That might be because of my inexperienced though.

Anyway, I really like my Classic :)

Do you fly the classic at more wind? How is your experience?:) (I'm thinking about denmarks westcoast..:))

Thank you all for your opinion.

Doesn't make it easier to decide ;) But it's okay, that's why i'm asking :)

29 minutes ago, SparkieRob said:

Most full sails (non vented) will fly to 20mph. Dead centre of the window can be a worry but the outer edges are fine.

Sure-  anything can be flown - but should it? Personally - there is no way I'm putting up a std in 20mph!

• Like 1

Do you fly the classic at more wind? How is your experience? (I'm thinking about denmarks westcoast..:))

Thank you all for your opinion.
Doesn't make it easier to decide But it's okay, that's why i'm asking
I don't like flying it in more then around 6 m/s. It might be able to fly in more, but the line is singing pretty good and it feels like you could potentially brake something. Don't know if you actually will brake anything though. Also I don't like to much pull on my revs for some reason.

I ended up buying a Reflex Spider for more wind then that. I also like that one a lot ;)
  • Like 1

Yup, everything everybody said. Confusing, ain't it? Just get whatever you like most. If you really get into it, within two years you'll own half a dozen. To someone just starting out, the differences among the different kites are not that noticeable. Until you have close to 100 hours of flying time you probably will be able to tell the difference, but not enough to take advantage of it and make it work in your favor. 

• Like 1

When i bought the first kite the seller said: You will need more for sure!

I smiled and thought: Never ever.:D

Now i already have a bag full of kites ;) 

BTW if i won't recognize so much difference-what about the exp reflex? Something to consider; especially when i'll buy a vented in 2-3 month?

Difference to classic is the sail - rip stop nylon instead of icarex. And reflex only....

Noticeable when flying?

22 minutes ago, zerolady said:

Difference to classic is the sail - rip stop nylon instead of icarex. Noticeable when flying?

Yes. I'm new like you, materials are noticably different when flying.

However, whichever you choose for your first, you will naturally learn on that material and you will fly it well just as any other kind of sail. It's only afterwards when you try another sail then you notice the difference and by that time with a second sail, you would already have a firm grasp of flying your quad. Which means you'll fly every sail just fine :)

Fyi, nylon reacts worse to moisture than icarex.

• Like 1

"

Sure-  anything can be flown - but should it? Personally - there is no way I'm putting up a std in 20mph!
" Quoted

Put it on 30 feet...
My Rev SLE has a factory rating with the 3 wrap of 20mph!! Infact I think it is 25...

In between Heaven and Earth, there are kites.

Throw factory wind ratings as far away as you can! Numbers is all! How does it "feel" in your hands, that's all that matters here. I once put a midvent on my 50'x50# lines because I was too lazy to swap lines. Kept on flying. A friend came over, scratched his head, and said that's one way to adapt!

PS: I'm not putting it on any feet!! Got others to switch to!!!