Breezin

Widow ng

29 minutes ago, Breezin said:

I really want to be  a trickster. A speed kite will let me fly in as much wind as I can handle. Still haven't flown my snapshot yet but at around 20 plus my other foil is to much for now. While sitting in my pasture a needle , thread and an idea will keep me occupied waiting for fair winds.

Hmm a speed kite can be quite small and pull quite much for their size (check line recommendations e.g.). The Fazers I got are more robust normal DLK than speed kites. So robust that they can be up in any wind that you I can handle and therefore becomes fast. But I can still trick those kites, so I kind of doubt that they are "pure" speed kites. I need to start using my Atrax and the Speedwing arriving soon to be able to make a comparison. In general I don't think a speed kite is a good trick option. Perhaps go for a vented DLK kite if you want to reduce pull and still be able to do some tricking in higher wind, but to my experience, moving your tricking from the centre of the wind window to the edge of the wind window can also do that. Go OPK to find out about speed kites if you can (I can't with a reasonable amount of effort)!

Well pastures doesn't really need to be such bad places for kiting. One might even find a loyal audience: http://kitelife.com/forum/topic/8233-minchhampton-common/?do=findComment&comment=66603

What kind of pasture (b.t.w.)? Something that you maintain?

I just about bought a fazer last week cause the price was so good . Backed off because of the pull. Read  some where people are tricking them. Same conclusion as yours that it's not a true speed kite but close. Live on the rolling prairie in Colorado. 14000 ft Pikes Peak is 40 miles to the west. Always makes me smile looking that way. I pasture Alpacas on 80 acres. They don't bother the kites and the kites don't bother them.Once in awhile they stop and watch for awhile. I think they snicker at my abilities and then get bored. Silly monkey birds do it all the time.The cows run away lol. At the  edge I'm getting close to a lazy susan. Got some half axels by accident. Getting a grasp on slide stall landings.

• Like 1

Late this afternoon caught some light wind. Doubt anything above 6 mph. Put the nose to full pitch . Couldn't do much but fly. Nose back to half and tried doing some ground work. Kots are 1/2 inch. Think the nighthawk needs 1/4. Came from top center of window 3/4 down window to the right. Slide stalled to a wing tip landing. Launched into a back fade turned nose slightly inward flipped right line missed the roll up. As I moved backward and  snapped ,the line wrapped around wing tip. Failed 1/2 axle .Right tip hit and kite flexed inward and flipped onto it's face . Glue bond on spreader ferrule failed. Easy fix. Last Sunday I did the same thing on the widow. I think this is what broke the spreader. I didn't notice at first maybe because of inattention,fracture got worse by continuing to fly or both. I think the tension from the stiff widow l e ferrule transferred  to the spine ferrule the weak point. Obviously the inside tube end being the weak link. The nighthawk with a more flexible single  le let go on the other side of the spine. I'm starting to believe the end results were by design to avoid a punctured sail. If that is so wow !!! Success with 2 on right 1 left of center just about 1 right of center. Left side ahh not so much, Nothing broken :rolleyes:. Like to think that the cause was an attempt not a case of the lazy. 

I'm approaching kite flying like music.Once you learn the language the technical becomes fun. Without the the fun the technical doesn't translate to knowledge for me. I think kiting is going to be a lot like music . It's  better when ya got yer groove on:mf_party:.