KiteLife Forum

Kite Forge

John Barresi

Things are moving along nicely for some new stuff in 2018... ;)

4B821D4C-7391-4F51-ABAA-EB4A7627AB4C.jpeg

http://kiteforge.com

http://facebook.com/kiteforge

http://instagram.com/kiteforge

http://twitter.com/kiteforge

Fair amount of video on the Facebook page, and there’s also a sign up link for early information about getting in on limited first releases. ;) 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, makatakam said:

This is just cruel! Oh, the torment. How long must it go on?

@makatakam Which would bother you more?.. A kite you've never really seen and want badly or a kite you've only seen pictures of.. @John Barresi is playing nice and sparing your keyboard from all the drool..

Not on FB so I could not vote there.  I like the white with sky blue.  Clouds & sky colors have always been one of my preferences.  Some of the sweeping indoor moves remind me of flying gliders like the Wala & the Zero G.  Now I just need to work on the rest but watching the arm movements & body action are very helpful & inspiring.  Looks like time for even shorter lines then the 18's I've used so many times.  Keep the kite completely assembled in the vehicle with the lines rolled round it like a yoyo then no excuse for a quick session almost anywhere. 

Hmmm, SHBKF

Sitting here the last 7 days in 0 to 6 winds. I need a light wind kite without a doubt!! Passed on the 4d and into the wind kites.Reviewers have said more often than not that those kites are twitchy. Kinda get what that means but no experience to know. Everyone who has gone to a niknak or inak were glad they did. Then I watch RobB and others fly the 4d !! Really how long before I'd learn enough to know the difference. Reason returns save save  and lessen the regrets regrets. Watched the videos a few times and the 10 mph gust makes me believe kaiju would handle gusts up to 8 all the time. Plus I could twirl around in my barn. Plus It's good looking .Plus the name is one of the coolest. Plus I know who to complain too. Plus when I'm whining about the kite behaving people here will remind me it's not the kite stupid!! Jan thru march we will have very few calm days so the wait won't be to bad. I'll take the purple one with the pink polka dots :).

• Like 3

Digging it... default_smile.png

End of the day, the Kaiju has a solid “micro carbon” frame, overload it and you’ll first get distortion, then collapse and potentially breakage - I ride the edge with the line tension I apply and am keenly aware of the shape of the kite while I ride it that hard, no comparison to even 4-5 mph of “real wind” . In that outdoor test video with the gust to 9 mph, I had to both choose flight paths and positions that give the kite the best chance of spilling air plus relieving pressure through arms and footwork.

You’re welcome to try it, but you’re well outside the kite’s safety zone with warning given. default_wink.png

Start with the barn and see how it behaves under varying degrees of pressure - the thing about a flexible indoor kite like this is that turning ability usually reduces as you increase pressure, so one consistent trait with competent indoor dual line fliers is consistently giving slack or reducing tension anytime the nose is passing between 3 and 9 o’clock, this lets the nose rotate, otherwise it’ll try and take a wide turn.

All speaking generally of course, different kites have different strengths.

I created the Kaiju with the intent of making indoor / front yard flying a little less intimidating because it’s really not hard once you learn a few basic moves and conventions for flight - no kite flies itself, but this will line up well with the coming tutorials.

Got me going! To the point, thank you - try everything (wisely), even the crazy stuff, I did, can’t buy experience.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 4

I think I get it. If the wind starts gusting 3 to 4 outside get to leeward side of house or barn. So as the pressure increases without relief trying to hold a light wind kite stable without release twitchy. The flex helps in the release so tricky. Stiffer frame like inak a little less tricky ? 4d more robust, stiffer and durable with less time to load and dump equals more twitchy? So maybe next level of stiffness for upper and lower spreader for 30 ft light line up to 4 or 5 mph? Want 2 kites in 1 lol. Seems like this will be less intimidating for the younger grand kids to start getting the dynamics of flight. My son and myself included!! It will be fun just to toss back and forth like a glider.

• Like 1

The flex actually helps the kite cup and drive more easily, slightly stiffer like the iNak or Echo require a little more “oomph” to get the sail going, but more stiffness actually helps you flip the kite around for tricks (less absorption of the inputs).

There is no perfect kite, each one has a personality all it’s own, then there’s bridle tuning and changes that can be made to framing, endless play. :)

==

To get them started, hold the kite sideways like it’s going to fly around them in a circle, keep hands super close (even during flight) and have them quickly start moving in such a way that the lines stay tight just as you let go... Small bends of the wrist to steer.

I’ve seen tons of 7-12 year olds fly kites just like this. 👍🏻

• Like 1