KiteLife Forum

Primitive VHS Video of Surprise in the Skies at Disney in 1991

PDF

I started flying kites relatively late in life. Following a fifteen year career working in the entertainment industry as a theatrical lighting designer, I was given a stunt kite as a gift.  Well, that was it! I was hooked. I proceeded to develop a stunt kite show which performed at outdoor festivals and special events throughout Canada and the Eastern United States. Our kite show matured, and in 1989 I ended up on the lagoon at Epcot Center/Disney World, Florida.  My Kite Team (The Shooting Star Kite Show) performed a series of 450 stunt kites shows, choreographed to music while being pulled behind ski boats powered by 200 horse power motors creating our wind. The show was called "Fantasy of Flight" and was performed five times daily throughout a three month contract during the summer of 1989. The Disney Corporation loved it so much, that in 1991, they invited me back to help conceive and execute a 14 minute spectacular outdoor extravaganza called: "Surprise in the Skies"  https://youtu.be/XjWHZ2fQczw

• Like 2

On 12/10/2017 at 11:09 PM, PDF said:

I started flying kites relatively late in life. Following a fifteen year career working in the entertainment industry as a theatrical lighting designer, I was given a stunt kite as a gift.  Well, that was it! I was hooked. I proceeded to develop a stunt kite show which performed at outdoor festivals and special events throughout Canada and the Eastern United States. Our kite show matured, and in 1989 I ended up on the lagoon at Epcot Center/Disney World, Florida.  My Kite Team (The Shooting Star Kite Show) performed a series of 450 stunt kites shows, choreographed to music while being pulled behind ski boats powered by 200 horse power motors creating our wind. The show was called "Fantasy of Flight" and was performed five times daily throughout a three month contract during the summer of 1989. The Disney Corporation loved it so much, that in 1991, they invited me back to help conceive and execute a 14 minute spectacular outdoor extravaganza called: "Surprise in the Skies"  https://youtu.be/XjWHZ2fQczw

Thanks.. It was one of the best experiences that I lived, but for the birth of my 4 great kids and the love of my life.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Michael,

I'm thrilled to hear from you.  Wonderful memories for me too.  I recently transferred a whole box of 8mm videos to electronic files of the years leading up to the show.  I have footage of the rehearsals and more. Let me know if you would like to view some.  4 wonderful kids?  I have 4 as well and now I have 8 grandchildren ranging from 4 months to 13 years of age.  How are you and what have you been doing?  

Are we allowed to exchange email addresses?

Kindest regards

Pete Foy