KiteLife Forum

Airwave UL and Airwave Zero

Fluke

Don't know a thing except reading about them. Web surfed on them last night and like what I've found. Made up my mind to have a custom ul or sul. If we're  looking a the same thing please buy the silver one so I don't!! My budget can"t afford both <_<.

Fluke it seems that you and I are close to the same place in our kite quest. You got more air time by far though. For me I keep going back to RobB posts.He's ticked off newbies like us who want cheap kites to do what premium kites do and stuck to his guns. Learned enough to know even if ability intent is low a person will be happier on a silver fox than a beetle with cheap lines. The beetle price tag goes up a lot with the better line set so I didn't bother. So they'd probably be happier with a foil ,I have 2 :). I want a Lycos 1.2 (fast).Many here advise patience save and get quality over quantity. What do I need versus what I want at the time. For the price I really want that silver ul. I need something like the Duende. The soul for that price I want but I need my widow ng which I hope is worth $50.00 when I move on LOL. At the start I was skeptical of the used kite market here and on GWTW. I did more damage in 1 day than most people here do in 3 years. Couple days ago I missed out on a great deal for a pristine L'Ateilier double zero. Sat there for a couple days. Scraped for money sold couple things and justified a lot.Kite was in Australia and couldn't find any videos or instruction on how to get the kite to fly right side up in the US but figured can't be that hard. Got up at 4 am hoping kite was still there hoorary it was. Hit up the seller. Sorry he says just sold a few minutes ago. A FEW MINUTES AHH !!! What I think I'm saying is unless your wealthy save and get a Duende and tell me why I should LOL. Not doing the advice I'm trying to follow is hard though. Now I got a premier Jewel and an Addiction I'm never going to open :wacko:. I got a nighthawk though and I think after a trip to Kites and fun things it's going to be close to the silver fox ul. That's why I didn't buy last night at price drop. I'd say with 0 experience if you need the silver fox ul get it. For the zero I'm going Johns Strange Beast cause I don't know any better:blushing:.

I was really on the fence between the silverfox (not pro) and widow ng. Only reason I went silverfox is because the pro was at a very good priced.
I live in Mauritius, shipping to here is $40 minimum for something bulky as a full size kite so i do a lot of research before I order something

Learned about getting quality over quantity the hard way. I have a chinamade foil, a Chinese delta, a few Chinese single lines and the paimpol equivalent of the beatle. All are poo. The paimpol was somewhat decent but the cheap chinese stuff.... To be fair they cost around $3 a piece with the shipping... But it's a sure way to push peoples away from the hobby. I have friends who would have not even look back on kites after buying those if they didn't see the hypnotist go.

If you want a silverfox ul i won't stop you my silverfox feels and looks very "high end" even next to the prism (people go "woa" looking at it ^_^). But the sf ul is closer to a standard kite than a true ultralight

Sent from my [device_name] using http://KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

"But the sf ul is closer to a standard kite than a true ultralight ". There is the rub -- there is no standardization between manufacturers between what constitutes a UL. There just isn't any standard for comparing, especially over the 'net, where anyone can claim anything to be whatever they choose. Only way in the end is either see them in person (thru OPK) or by buying it and hoping, or maybe getting other's opinions.

• Like 1

Especially because flight ability varies so greatly... A super light (UL) kite could be light, but not fly efficiently, and a heavier kite could fly and create sail pressure very well - I always look at performance (esp sail loading) first, then start looking at grams.

• Like 3

Had to look up where you live Fluke. Stunning place. Got lost a little bit looking at pics. The kite from Aussie shipped was an additional $40.00 with LE cut and $75.00 intact. Trying to decide how to ship probably lost me the kite. Would have went cheap so it's probably best. We're spoiled here. Most of us don't  think about shipping cost but it's always there. Ul soul now $174.00 sigh. When there's no opk around got to have fun guessing:). E.g. trying to compare Palladin to SF ul w/o flying. Very little info on Palladin cause a lot of us have to try at an educated guess.I think the Palladin would be better but not as low wind. I guess :ani_wallbash:.

The only thing I have from Flying Wings is a glider, the Wala or also known as an Aerobie. Also have seen and flown the Emong and one other (can't remember the name), but they were all built like tanks, looked indestructible (also gliders).  Don't think I've flown any of their stunters, so can't compare relative to how it fits in the UL, SUL, Std type ranges.

Sorry

Stop Stop!! Just got off the phone with Jon T. Keeping the Nighthawk as is and the Addiction stays too. He said the Addiction will fly lower than the Nighthawk. COOL. The Addiction has a lighter spine than the pro so that should help. Neat that you can call like that. Name on my piggy bank down to 1. 1/4 way there to the Pro Dancer. YAY.  My decision is final right ? :kid_cussing:

• Like 3

That's true and I think it's working so far .Could be fooling myself though. Marketing is a treacherous mire to wade through in this kite stuff .Premier says  wind window for Nighthawk starts at 3 mph . For Addiction 4 mph . Jon T said Addiction would fly lower. After 1st flight today going from 0 to maybe 4 gusts to last hour 3 to 8 guess who was right. If anybody needs me to test this out on Lam kites for a year or so I'll send you my address. You'll have to pay for shipping though :shifty: I'm trying save.

• 1 month later...
On 12/15/2017 at 12:26 PM, Breezin said:

My decision is final right ?

If you ever decide to get just one single line kite (Wallet Warning: You can't have just one, they multiply...fast.), you should take a good look at the Wala XL. It's probably one of the most versatile kites I own. You can fly it like a glider. You can fly it like a kite. You can fly it on a box with a fox. I have flown mine in gusts around 20MPH with the 90 foot tail. 

• Like 2