KiteLife Forum

Christmas Kitelife Scavenger Hunt

riffclown

There is a word that appears only 2 times in the KiteLife forum despite there being a relevance to kites and flight. The last time it was used here was over 5 years ago. It's not in this post nor is it in any of my posts or blog entries.

Find this word and list it here before noon Eastern Standard Time Christmas Day and I'll send you a Prism Stylus 2.8. (Kite only and it's a factory second.. Stacking reinforcements are not on this kite. (see pic) Does not include lines or handles.)

I'm going to stay intentionally vague for a few hours but I'll drop an additional hint or two over the next several hours. This scavenger hunt is open to the Continental US only as I'm covering the postage.

If no one finds the word by noon Eastern Standard Time Christmas Day, I'll do a random drawing for those that respond here with interest in this sail. To be considered for the second chance drawing, respond here with a guess. This contest is over when the word is revealed or a winner is chosen.

Unlike the Karma drawings, there is no expectation other than this kite not get resold.. It may be "given" forward only please.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hunting..

Stylus.jpg

• Like 3

Good Guesses all three but incorrect
Perhaps the next verse will help you connect

It's time for another hint but something must be said.
With the colors mentioned above, the "one" isn't red
Speaking of red, a few red letter dates
1947 and 1938
A song was written, the earlier of the two
to celebrate the servicemen and the branch for which they flew

What's that got to do with the answer to this rhyme.
Find those special lyrics and it's just a matter of time
Once you've got the answer, the answer you will know
That time is not upon us so 'til then it's, off you go

21 minutes ago, cmay said:

I think that may have been too good a clue. Let's try the word "yonder".

We HAVE a WINNER!!! @cmay congratulations!!!

And just for completeness sake the last clue would have been

the biggest clue now to help you along
is this Search at Bing to discover the song
Use the name Crawford and two dates from before
The first hit will be wiki about the song for sure

• Like 2

Riffclown,

Now that would have made it REALLY easy. Thanks for a great Christmas Day contest. I've sent you a PM to talk about an even better new home for that kite than my collection. I guess sort of a "give it forward" in advance.

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks Breezin.

I wonder how many of us were up and on the forum this morning to see this puzzle put forth by Riffclown. It's really odd the things that get stuck in our brains at times. I have no relatives that have been in the AirForce, nor have I been either. For some reason the dates 1947 and 1938, along with the flight reference as well as the word servicemen just rang a bell somewhere back in the recesses of my memory. Then the tune started playing in the back of my brain. If I recall correctly it was the tune itself in 1938 and the words in 1947. At any rate, a really fun puzzle Riffclown and a great kite that is going to find itself in the hands of some youngsters ASAP.

I told Riffclown that I will add straps and lines to this kite when I find it a good home.

Chris

• Like 1

The original version was the Army Air Corps Song in 1938.  In 1947 when the US Air Force became a separate service, the words were changed from Army Air Force to U.S. Air Force.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_U.S._Air_Force_(song)

Well Played and I hope this kite gets enjoyed by many..  Thank you to all that reviewed and participated..

• Like 2

As soon as I saw the second clue, I knew what the word was. Unfortunately, I wasn't on the forum early enough. Instead I was opening three new kite presents and then went out to fly this afternoon. I hope everyone had as good a Christmas as we did at this house.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1