KiteLife Forum

Vented

Breezin

The last 2 days of no wind has been very hard on the wallet. Although I have not followed advice of flying OPK think I might be okay. Iv'e got a PDSUL in flo green and Zephyr  inferno on the way. Fantastic deal on Zephyr $126.00 rtf  with 90 lb 100 foot line plus a pair of finger straps at $3.00 brand spanking new. .Many thanks to the guy that pointed the deal out to me !!!  PDSUL goes without saying :).Should have winds covered 0 to 8 PDSUL, 4 to 12 Zephyr, 6 to 15 Widow ng. Snapshot 1.4, 6 to 20 but that's for zooming. So next upon my ocd addled brain is 15 to 25. Hq line from Stormy Pete to Frazers look cool and Elliots Jet Stream also but I still want to trick on window edges. Okay learn to trick on windows edge :kid_irritated:. Going to build a Faux C so those types should be covered until I build a better kite. Did I ever say how glad I am that I got the Snapshot before a Lycose 1.2. I'm stupid enough to fly the lycose in 35 mph trying for 100 mph. I think that kite needs an experienced pilot. So the hunt for the vented begins :devil:. At least this addiction isn't life threatening  unless from someones  irritated spouse. Maybe this is where Krijn, Lam and those euro folks come into play (pardon the pun).

• Like 3

Been looking at a new Rev 1 vented with handles for $125.00 shipped. Fear the dark side cause I know I'll get four more before I learn to fly the darn thing. Like I'm doing with dual lines right now. 6 to 35 mph is what I'm looking for. Doubt I'll be out in more than 30. Only dual that makes sense for my next kite is the Fearless Std vented. There is a huge price gap. My Micron can cover the high winds for now. Problem is in 3 hours of learning to fly it it's been in the air less than 1/2 hour !! What a hoot. Learned a lot watching that thing flip around the prairie. For the cost I highly recommend for newbies . $50.00 a month in piggy bank and by Oct can get anything. Where the Rev is $33.00 for a new Micron. Goal for this year, learn to fly and get a Fearless.  Open to suggestions and education on any vented kite under $10,000.00 :sign_please:.

• Like 1

Rev1 for $125.. That's not a bad deal and would be fine to learn on. Moving forward though,  I'd advise you to lean towards the 1.5 size as your continuation point.. That's the one thing all the current companies seem to agree with.  Personally, my next kite will be a Djinn..

You've mentioned how you like to fly your snapshot.. Maybe consider a Symphony 2.2.4 as a quad line transition? It still flies as a dual but capable of many quadline maneuvers. It also has the resiliency of a foil.

And in a bit higher wind,

• Like 3

Not sure if they're still made/supplied but there is a Silver Fox 2.5 Vented. A big wing but vented.

Vented duals can be a lot of fun. I have a 7Vented from SKD and it's great at the top end of dual winds.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://KiteLife mobile app

• Like 1

Went to that vendor looking for the SF 2.5 vented but already gone and the Zephyr was such a good deal couldn't pass up. Hows the sidewinder Justin? Iv'e read that the Zephyr is designed to remove tail weight and upper spreader for low wind. Have to tie 1/4 and 1/2 additional knots on low wind nose adjustment. Don't know when produced yet. Maybe new tweaks added since older posts. Took upper spreader out on Addiction because it's the lowest wind kite for now. Flex was bad and popped LE c clip. Won't do it again. Read that putting a 2 pt lower spreader and 4 mm upper with end caps gives better result on Zephyr. Going to get that set from K&FT when PDSUL is done. Unless a bunch of ya'll say waste of money. Makes sense theoretically but:unsure:.

• Like 1

I wouldn't consider putting a Rev 1  vented up in  35 mph winds - no sir! :( Throw the published wind ranges out the window or bury them - please! :devil: What frame you going to use! :unsure:  That is one big wing to have up there in those winds. It is why most fly the 1.5 size, so many models in the size range to accommodate differing winds. IMHO YMMV 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Breezin said:

Hows the sidewinder Justin?

Haven't flown it yet. Was planning on going out on the first, but it was 27 degrees and raining. Also, I still haven't found a good flying field close-by. I do have an idea for a place to check out that isn't too far, though. Hopefully soon. I'll be glad when the days get longer and I will have some time after work to fly.

1 hour ago, Justin2kites said:

Haven't flown it yet. Was planning on going out on the first, but it was 27 degrees and raining. Also, I still haven't found a good flying field close-by. I do have an idea for a place to check out that isn't too far, though. Hopefully soon. I'll be glad when the days get longer and I will have some time after work to fly.

Northwest RC club field may be a possibility on days when it's not crowded. In my area the RC fields are fair game if the RC guys aren't there or when there's just a couple and you can work together.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, makatakam said:

Northwest RC club field may be a possibility on days when it's not crowded. In my area the RC fields are fair game if the RC guys aren't there or when there's just a couple and you can work together.

I didn't think about that. but I actually have been thinking about joining that club. Are you familiar with it?

Nope, just saw it on Google Maps. If you want to use Google Maps to search for places to fly, just look for anything that is a lighter color than the area surrounding it. The areas that have very short vegetation or none at all are usually a lighter color, except for freshly tilled farm fields in the spring. 

You also have beaches on the ocean that are not very far away. Beach breezes are the best.

• Thanks 1

SKD looks like top of the line stuff. 30 kmh/18mph  not enough. But then 15 mph on the Widow drags me a bit laughing my hind end off. Maybe by the airports Justin. Lots a trees in Houston. Fast Ultra Light 45 minutes to the beach. Fly going fly while there fly home.Win Win as long as you can dodge the big birds !!

Just in case you didn't know -- stay away from airports. Usually a distance of five miles is required by law, and altitude limits apply also. You can bring a plane down if it hits your kite just right. You don't want to be responsible for that. Some smaller local fields, especially those with grass runways -- in other words, low traffic volume -- may be open to it if you check in with them. Definitely stay away from the majors and busy municipal airports. 

Look for soccer fields and sports complexes and talk to management there. Most are fairly open to kite flying as long as you don't endanger anyone with your flying.

RE: Flying near Airports.  Check with the local Airfield Management and they will provide you with appropriate guidelines. Be prepared for "That's not allowed"  In my case it was "here are the areas you can fly and stay on lines less than 100ft."

FAA Guidelines pertain to kites anything over 500 feet within 5 miles of an airport. However, you can apply for an official kite-flying waiver through the FAA if you want to fly a kite under 150 feet near an airport.

Short version is as long as your kite weighs less than 5 pounds, your lines are less than (in my case) 100 feet AND you get permission, you are OK.. I fly very often within visual site of an active runway. Know the rules, get permission but VERY IMPORTANTLY be safe. You are an ambassador for us all when you do these things.

The Key is to know the laws and be able to demonstrate you will be staying within those laws. Keep in mind the rules are written from the vantage point of protecting the Aircraft. Don't become the reason the rules are rewritten. Then we all suffer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Back to the vented problem again. Went out Sunday with the Widow. Winds were between 8 and 12 mph. Gusts were hitting 15 to 16. Hour later 10 to 15 with gusts to 20 so I put it away. Later winds dropped between 6 and 10. Sometimes dropping to 2 and 3. Went up on the Zephyr with wind changing direction at times and gusts as much as 13. Hour later got to thinking about the reason the Zephyr has a new lower spreader and packed it in. Frustrating !! Should have flown the Addiction. Monday I did fly the Addiction for a few hours. Winds were pretty high. As much as 22, 23 mph. Obviously spent most of the time on the edge but had a lot of fun. Yesterday winds gusting well over 25 so a no fly day. Got Ideas from Jon T on how  to vent the Addiction with the thought to then add the Addiction Pro. Put the Jewel and Addiction together and measured out the spots on both kites this morning. Trying to decide which one to vent I chose neither. Spent a couple hours on the Addiction in nice winds thinking on it more. Think I need to choose between the Silver Fox vented and OSKs Challenger Max. Leaning towards the Challenger. Can't justify any higher price point for now.

Must resist must resist. Exodus is the only quad I've handled and was pretty impressed with the sewing. Flying it though seemed like it would be a fearful thing. Being all black it seemed fitting that it's the first quad I touched. Dark side thing and all. Must admit Iv'e thought about it quite a bit.

Must resist must resist. Exodus is the only quad I've handled and was pretty impressed with the sewing. Flying it though seemed like it would be a fearful thing. Being all black it seemed fitting that it's the first quad I touched. Dark side thing and all. Must admit Iv'e thought about it quite a bit.

We need to meet up so you can try one of the quads that I have just so you see how they fly. One afternoon together and if your willing I’ll have you controlling one quite well. Stops, reverse flight and side slides are easy when shown the right technique. We could meet around Denver or whenever pretty much works for me as long as it’s not snowing.

Sent from my IPhone
  • Like 1

Since this post started about high wind dual line stunt kites, I thought I'd share this.  Here's an Enigmini Vented that I picked up from the Steve Tapp collection sell off.   Based on it's size (6 ' 2" x 2' 5") and it's heavy framing (P300 spine and Black Diamond 5PT spreaders), it should prove to be the highest wind dual line stunt kite I own.

The removable vent covers are something I've never seen before and should help it's lower wind range (which I'm sure is still pretty high)

Enigmini Vented Covered Door.jpg

Enigmini Vented Opened Door.jpg

• Like 4

I was on GWTW when Jon posted. Wanted one real bad but figured folks who knew him and fly better should have 1st dibs. Called Monday though hoping 1 was left. Nope but I figured it was a long shot. Rob re posted Steves tutorial on shape shifter  stand offs. Going to do that to my Nighthawk. Maybe Devin will design a kite called Nimrod. I'd buy one. Only time I'm not free to fly is the 6th,14th and 23rd.

I never met Steve, however comments about him have always been very positive.   After buying an Enigma UL and flying it, I just could not resist.

I'm planning on taking it to a Kite Festival today.   Winds at the Kite Festival are going to be 16 - 17 mph, which should be prefect for a small heavy vented kite like this.   I'll see if I can get a video

• Like 3