KiteLife Forum

Learning to dance

Breezin

Got about 2 1/2 hours on kite.90 LB X 100' lines. Still intact :). After getting kite together for the 1st time noticed a small blem in front of lower LE connector. Upon closer inspection of kite and finger kite has been named before 1st flight. BS&T. Blood for the owning, Sweat for the building and Tears for the owing LOL.

Just under 5 hours on kite and broken sigh. Didn't get over 7 mph gusts while flying. Went to set up kite and right stand off had a fiber broke. Pretty minor for a newbie on a SUL. While taking down kite UPS showed up with parts yay. PD stand off .o60. Got .080 rod. Replace both stand offs in .080 till next order. Storms a coming so last time on PD for a few days .

Kites and Fun Things sending a set of standoffs on the house .Very cool. Glad I didn't put  different sized standoffs in. Would have been very stoopid !! When winds start gusting to 5 I think I'll be putting a different kite in the air.Grand kids out today. PDSUL,Widow and Zephyr stayed in the bag. Those kids are rough. Got smacked twice today by crashing foils. When the frames came out I was paying a lot more attention :dizzy:.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Breezin said:

Kites and Fun Things sending a set of standoffs on the house .Very cool. Glad I didn't put  different sized standoffs in. Would have been very stoopid !! When winds start gusting to 5 I think I'll be putting a different kite in the air.Grand kids out today. PDSUL,Widow and Zephyr stayed in the bag. Those kids are rough. Got smacked twice today by crashing foils. When the frames came out I was paying a lot more attention :dizzy:.

Foils for getting the kids started, for sure.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty amazed how much this kite has taught me so far. Trying to keep it airborne in o to 1 mph on  90 lb 100' lines is no easy feat but can definitely be done. Learning how to keep wind in the sail is slowly changing my flying for the better. Winds have been to high for it since yesterday afternoon. It's been Zephyr winds but lower spreader won't make it till next week. Before the Z and PD in light winds I'd fly the Addiction. Yesterday afternoon flew it for a little bit and then got the Widow ng up. 3 weeks ago below 5 I'd be struggling to maintain control trying to stay aloft or crash as easy as possible. Way to much yanking and pumping when a lot easier smoother movement is needed.Can stay in pretty good control now and guide the kite to the ground instead of semi controlled crashes when winds drop below 3. Quite a few nice gentle turtle landings. Very pleased.3 to 4 beginning to be able to fan the kite and search the window for some lift. Succeeding more often than not. A lot less frustrating than it used to be.Was using 80' x 150 #. Next low wind day I'll try 100' x 90#. Finally got confident enough to put 50 # x 50' on the PD and prefer the longer line set. Next 2 days will be Jet Speed winds with much cussing and swearing as I try to learn that wicked thing. Maybe I can transfer some of the PD stuff but I doubt it. Common theme that the low wind range of your kite teaches you the most is sure ringing true for me. Tomorrow will be a mosh pit on the Jet. Looking forward to next week when I can Waltz with the Pro Dancer again. Starting to refer to her as Matilda :wub:.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Got to say the Pro Dancer taught me a thing or two. Last week had the best time on it ever. Winds between 0 to 3 mostly on the low side. 50' x 50# lines and really enjoyed myself. Got to trick though.Something like the Aura sul makes more sense for me. When winds are 0 to 2, well nobody has any used Kaijus for sale yet. That must be a good thing.Matilda has moved on and Ricky Ticky Tavy should be here Friday. Pretty comfortable on 50' now so I'll be content for a bit bouncing my other sul and ul up and down until I settle on a 0 plus kite. No regrets on the PD except there was more to learn from it.Just kinda sad it wasn't for me.  It's worked out swell though. Now I get to find out why so many of you make such a fuss over anything BMK :sq_saywhat:.  Wish I could say this next kite I know "boy oh boy"  is going to take me to that next level .It won't but it is sure going to add to the fun in getting there !!:dual:                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           :w/stupid:

• Like 1

Love it Breezin! I’ve learned a lot flying the Pro Dancer. My son Jack did his first and second performance at a festival a couple weeks ago using his Pro Dancer. Light rain and light wind he did an excellent job. One time he was using my 50lb 50 foot strings and asked if I had shorter ones. I said no and he looked disappointed and continued flying. I pulled out a spool of 50lb and made him a set of 30 footers. Now the 30’s are his first choice with the Pro Dancer. Too short for my flying style. He’s gotten really good at slides and tip stabs with the short lines. He’s only broken one lower leading edge piece and knows I’ve bought way to many extra spars just to have them sitting around. Another kite I really enjoy in 2 ish wind is the Solus UL. I’m pretty sure your name is already on the list if they are produced again. May the inland winds be at your back.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

• Like 2

9 hours ago, khsidekick said:

May the inland winds be at your back.

Sent from my iPhone using KiteLife mobile app

Thank you 🚛. The side gusties can be a little unnerving LOL. That is super cool Jack got to perform. It's one thing to gain skills but putting them on display takes moxy. Imagine it changed him a bit for the better. Next year on my to do list is to go west, pick up my new Fearless II light vented and fly on a beach with a bunch of you spoiled beach fliers 😁. I've got a 32' set but haven't flown with them yet. Leaning towards the Echo and that's the recommended set for outdoor. Replacing the PD is going to be tough. Loved the looks and feel but could never move fast enough in 0 to 2 to keep it from floating away. Getting in a turtle,pancake or fade on that kite is fairly easy. Getting out is a whole different  story. Got to stay under the kite and I could never do it consistently. When I could catch something though the graceful way that kite glides thru a maneuver is awesome to watch.Only kite I could make a slide look nice pert near every time.Plan on taking my time in choosing it's replacement. Gotta be careful though. That darn kite addict jitter thing might kick in and blow up my plans. It's happened before. Wow now that I reflect a bit that's probably why the PD left. NUTS!!!